PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever do this?

DisneyDadfromPittsburgh
03-16-2011, 03:43 PM
I am going to Orlando for business and I have two nights free and I am thinking about walking around Magic Kingdom and Epcot each night when I am free......by myself.

That just seems so weird to me but I figure it is better than sitting in a hotel room for the evening.

Anyone else ever do Disney solo?

WishingStar2006
03-16-2011, 04:10 PM
All the time!!!! I go to WDW solo at least twice a year for a week or more. It's great fun to go at your own pace and do the things that you like to do!!!!

But, that's a very expensive "walk around" unless you have AP's!!!

SBETigg
03-16-2011, 04:22 PM
I had a conference in the area and I ended up at the MK by myself one evening, and for a few hours in the Disney Hollywood Studios park on another day. It was really special.

I didn't know if I would enjoy it on my own, but I ended up taking my time, finding things I never noticed when I was with my husband or family. There's no rushing or needing to be anywhere, and no one to please but you. I meandered along, really enjoyed the Main Street Electrical Parade, no worries about settling down to find that right space of curb before parade time. The thing that amazed me was the joy on the faces of the children all around. Sappy, maybe, but I'm usually so caught up in my own family, that I don't see anyone else quite as clearly. It really reminded me that it's such a magical place, bringing people together with a spirit of joy and adventure. if you have the chance, go for it!

magicofdisney
03-16-2011, 04:37 PM
Yeppers! :mickey: For the last 2 years I've attended a Homeschool convention in Orlando and spent a night by myself in the parks. It's been fantastic. However, the first trip felt very surreal without the rest of the family in tow.

BluewaterBrad
03-16-2011, 05:05 PM
A lot of times!! If the wife can not get off of work, or myself for that matter. We are Fl. residents though. Scheduling and canceling trips are very easy for us.:mickey:

NH Disneyfan
03-16-2011, 06:07 PM
I believe there are opportunities to buy "after 4pm" passes when at certain conferences. I've seen these when at a conference at Swan/Dolphin. Might help save a little money.

faline
03-16-2011, 06:31 PM
On my last trip, my daughter was not feeling well and rested in the room one afternoon. We were staying at Bay Lake Tower so I just walked right on over to the Magic Kingdom and hit a bunch of rides all by myself! I didn't feel weird about it at all!

ryca1dreams
03-16-2011, 07:19 PM
I've done this twice, but never went in the parks. I just hopped busses, talked to people, visited resorts, enjoyed a restaurant, etc.

awaggett
03-17-2011, 12:57 AM
I am in Orlando about once a month for work. I don't go into the parks (definitely have been tempted!); but do go to DTD, watch Wishes from Cali Grill, ride the monorail, etc. I always like to have one night on property for dinner/fun--makes the work travel not so bad!

brownie
03-17-2011, 10:29 AM
I've never had the opportunity, but if it presented itself I'd have no problem going solo to Walt Disney World, even for a few hours.

MarkC
03-17-2011, 10:40 AM
I've done this when my wife wanted to sleep in or go shopping, etc. Remember there are a lot of shows where you sit in a big group anyway. Also, a lot of rides need single riders and you'll end up sitting with other people. I've often struck conversations with strangers during different times. You'll be able to decide what you want to do. Go and enjoy. It surely beats sitting in a motel room by yourself.

JessC416
03-17-2011, 11:46 AM
I've never gone totally solo but on my last trip we went to MK for one day and for about 3 hours the people I was with wanted to shop & see the parade (which I was not doing on my one disney day!) so I hit all big rides again and POTC! Its faster and kind of fun to talk to the people in line with you! I think EPCOT would be fun alone too.

BraddyB
03-17-2011, 03:11 PM
If I had the chance I would be all over it !! Sure my wife would be jealous but I know I would enjoy myself. I think I would take alot more of the park in, pay more attention to the details that are overlooked.

Dsnygirl
03-17-2011, 04:17 PM
I've done it, only on a smaller scale... twice I've taken "girl's trips" and had time to myself during the trips to just wander on my own.

At first, I wasn't sure I'd like it... I'm so used to being with people. But I have to tell you -- after my first couple of rides at MK on my own, I really found that I was enjoying myself! The parks and the rides take on a whole different feeling when you're able to just watch and explore and do things w/o being involved in a conversation... I found myself really soaking things in in a way I had never done before.

Now, that's not to say I'd prefer travelling on my own... but for a small amount of time, it's definitely worth doing! (and I'm adding in here that my DH would LOVE to be in your shoes, with time on his own at MK and Epcot... the #1 thing he's been jealous of when I've travelled with my girlfriends has been my downtime on my own! :blush:)

Have fun!

DCDisney
03-18-2011, 12:29 PM
agree with other posters ... I had a work trip last fall. I stayed about 20 min away to be close to work location. Each evening, I went over to WDW to eat at one of their restaurants, on the company's dime. Went to Raglan Road one night, went to Beaches N Cream at BC one night. Went to Rainforest Cafe one night, etc. etc. It's so relaxing to walk around the resort after eating dinner. At BC, I walked over to the beach and watched kids making s'mores and watched a bit of the movie while sitting on the beach. At DTD, I watched a CM teaching dances to popular Disney music.

I recommend going over to WDW during your work trip, if you enjoy soaking up the Disney atmosphere any chance you can get.

joonyer
03-18-2011, 03:46 PM
Going to the parks solo is great, but unless you already have some affordable tickets for park entry, a 2 day park pass will cost you $177.53 That's a pretty expensive walk in the park(s), especially for just a few hours.

IloveDisney71
03-18-2011, 08:26 PM
Going to the parks solo is great, but unless you already have some affordable tickets for park entry, a 2 day park pass will cost you $177.53 That's a pretty expensive walk in the park(s), especially for just a few hours.

I agree, the tickets would be expensive but if you have annual passes or can get some affordable tickets I'd go for it. I've taken advantage of going to the MK and Epcot on my own for a few hours a couple of times while family members stayed back at the hotel or went to another park. I really enjoyed the time I had by myself because I could go at my own pace and just soak everything in. I didn't ride any rides. I went shopping and took pictures around the parks. :D

wdwaggie
04-04-2011, 08:51 AM
Go for it you lucky devil!

DisneyorBust
04-04-2011, 04:36 PM
If the opportunity presented itself it would be difficult to resist. I have never been to the parks without my DW, so it would not be the same without her. But I would still give it a try!:D

javamama
04-04-2011, 07:56 PM
Done DTD without dh, when he was my bf but that's it. Have fun, and enjoy:mickey:

AXOAlum
04-04-2011, 08:11 PM
It would not be possible for me to be "at" Disney and not go to the parks - even with the price of tickets for just a few hours. We took mom at the last minute a couple of years back and ended up getting her "discount" tickets from a broker (no - we didn't have to sit through any sales pitches and it was not a scam). My family has already told me they are sleeping in a few days on our next trip - I'm def headed over to the parks without them - they can call me when they get up! Have fun :mickey: