PDA

View Full Version : Birthday Bash - Off we go and Day 1

buzznwoodysmom
03-16-2011, 03:28 PM
This was a special trip for my turning 9 year old son. He's the only one in our family that hadn't yet been able to have a birthday in WDW.

Cast:
Me-Denise
DH-Kevin
DS-Collin 11
DS-Landon (birthday boy) turning 9
DM-Sheila

Resorts:
Wilderness Lodge 7 nights
Animal Kingdom Lodge 2 nights

Wednesday, March 2
Today we took off after school and had a very uneventful drive, except for the increasing gas prices! It seemed each time we stopped for gas the price was going higher and higher and higher! We stopped for the night somewhere around Tallahassee. We stayed at a Hampton Inn. I love this chain. The hotels are always spotless and the free hot breakfast is an added bonus.

Thursday, March 3
We were up and out of the hotel by 8:30. We were all cheering and yelling as we drove through the gates around 11:00. We drove straight to Shades of Green to get our tickets. I really don’t like getting our tickets here. It seems that every time we get tickets at SOG every guest in front of us has not a clue as to what tickets are available, how much they cost, how many days/what kind of tickets they want. Today was no different. We waited and waited while every guest in front of us had to go over every detail of every possible type of ticket before deciding what they wanted. We stepped up to the desk and in less than 5 minutes were on our way with the tickets we needed. We walked around the resort. I’ve never given SOG a fair chance. It’s a very lovely resort. We’ve stayed here a few times, but never more than one night at a time. The rooms here are enormous compared to every other WDW resort we’ve stayed at, and I believe most rooms sleep 6. At around $100 a night we may have to consider staying here on future trips if WDW resort prices keep going up. We found our brick with our name on it that we won in Nov. 2009. The boys spotted a small alligator sunning itself near the water right there in the middle of the resort. After their exciting encounter with the gator we were on our way!

We made the very short drive from SOG to Wilderness Lodge. I always love driving up to the lodge. It’s “our” resort, our home away from home when in WDW. As we were driving up we noticed that the road in front of the bus stop was all torn up and work was being done. Then we spotted the white tents in the parking lot where the temporary bus stop was set up. I really didn’t mind all that much, I understand things like this need to be done. However, I really wish WDW would send an email or letter to resort guests if any major refurbishment will be going on during their stay. The last time we stayed at WL for a week the main pool was drained and if not for Intercot we wouldn’t have known. One of the reasons we love WL is because of the way the resort is set up. All rooms are under one roof, and the bus stop is right near the resort which means if it’s raining you don’t have to walk in the rain going to and from the resort. After that tad bit of disappointment we made our way to check in. We didn’t get the area we requested, we were actually placed all the way on the complete opposite end of the resort, and my mom’s room wasn’t near us, but hey…we are in WDW! It was lunch time so we grabbed new refillable mugs, some lunch, and headed out to the tables outside. It was beautiful out today, but windy. We spent most of the time trying to hold down napkins or chasing our “fly aways”. After lunch the boys were itching to get into that pool. I had a beach bag packed with swim suits for the boys, and in seconds they were in the pool! We had a nice afternoon at the pool and beach. Kevin and I had drinks, and enjoyed watching the boys swim and play in the sand. Our room was finally ready a bit after 3pm. We headed to the room to find we were on the 6th floor facing MK, but with a funky balcony. It was like a little wooden box, and you couldn’t enjoy the view if sitting. I called down to the front desk to see if there was any other room they could get us in. The only other bunk bed room they had available was a courtyard view and we were quickly upgraded to that room. And it just so happened to be down the same hall as my mom’s room, just a few doors down on the opposite side of the hall, so it worked out very well. By that time all we had enough time to do was get the luggage up to the room, change, and head out for our dinner at Ohana’s. We took the very relaxing boat ride to the Contemporary. First we had to swing by Fort Wilderness, which didn’t bother us at all, even though we were running a bit behind on time. However, there were many, many unhappy folks every time we used the boats at WL. Everyone seemed to have “very important reservations” and were always mad that they had to make the trip to the other resort before their stop. We heard the same gripping on each and every trip we took on the WL boats. We hopped the monorail at the CR and headed to the Poly. We made it there just in time and were seated within seconds of arriving. My SIL had already checked us in when I sent her a text that we were on the monorail. We had a huge party of 16, and one family was having their very first dinner at Ohana’s. The meal was great as always and the kids had a great time with the games. Landon got his first of many cupcakes and a happy birthday song. After dinner we headed to the beach for the fireworks, but we were very early. The kids played in the sand and we got really cute pictures of them with the castle in the background. Eventually it was just getting a bit too chilly and some of the younger kids a bit restless so we all decided to head back to our resorts for the night. We walked with my SIL and her family through the beautiful grounds of the Poly to the TTC. This resort is just so wonderful to walk around at night. The tiki torches were lit and the music was playing softly, it felt like “vacation”. We said our goodbyes and they hopped the monorail to Epcot, while we took the MK loop monorail. Just as we were taking off the fireworks at MK started. We had never watched Wishes from the monorail and it was a very cool way to see it. I especially loved when we were leaving the MK stop and passed directly in front of the castle. It was a very good view of the fireworks from that spot. Its not often we take pictures of all 4 of us that I love, but my mom took some pictures of us on the monorail and they were so great. I couldn’t wait to get home and print one of them to put in a frame on my desk at home. Let me just say that my mom was taking lots of pictures with her camera, so I wasn't worried about taking a ton with my camera. More on that topic later. Another relaxing boat ride back to WL and we were “home” for the night. All in all, a wonderful way to start our vacation. Not everything went as we hoped, but we had a great first day!

Up next Epcot!!

disneymom15
03-16-2011, 04:24 PM
Nice report.

faline
03-16-2011, 06:45 PM
Wilderness Lodge is a wonderful resort! I know the balconies you mean and I don't like them either. Glad you ended up closer to your mom's room.

Disney always suggests you leave an hour for travel time to reservations and we usually do - that way we don't have to complain about running late when we delayed along the way and can relax a bit if we arrive early!

Wonderful first day at Disney World and Wilderness Lodge!

CanadianWDWFan
03-16-2011, 07:10 PM
Excellent first day and night!

Thanks for sharing!:thumbsup:

You should try watching Wishes from the beach at the Poly, they pipe the music in. It is truly an experience.

Joannelet
03-16-2011, 07:24 PM
Great 1st day report!
Glad that your room got moved closer to your mom's. That is sooo cool that you saw an alligator at SOG....
Glad you had a great dinner at Ohana with the family and what a wonderful monorail trip you had back!
Can't wait to read more!

mouseketeer mom
03-16-2011, 08:51 PM
Oh, Denise, every first day in the World is wonderful, even if things don't go as planned. Awesome upgrade! I love that Courtyard view. How was my peanut sauce at Ohana's? Hope you ate extra for me!

Melanie
03-16-2011, 08:57 PM
Been anxious for your reports Denise! Okay, so off to Epcot next - must be some Duffy in there somewhere. :D

buzznwoodysmom
03-16-2011, 09:44 PM
Excellent first day and night!

Thanks for sharing!:thumbsup:

You should try watching Wishes from the beach at the Poly, they pipe the music in. It is truly an experience.

Oh we've done that like 10 times, or more, already. One of the families we were with had never done that so we were really doing it for them. They were the ones with the younger kids, 2 and 4, and it just got too late for them. Plus it was really chilly so we decided to go. As much as I love Wishes from the Poly I was thrilled to see Wishes from the monorail! Very unique experience for us.

buzznwoodysmom
03-16-2011, 09:48 PM
Disney always suggests you leave an hour for travel time to reservations and we usually do - that way we don't have to complain about running late when we delayed along the way and can relax a bit if we arrive early!

I know, and we always try to do just that. When we don't give ourselves enough time and are running late I know that its no one's fault but my own. This was the first time I noticed this, but we encountered so many frazzled families who were in a hurry to get where they were going, and mad that Disney couldn't get them there faster. There was one night I thought there was going to be an attack on the boat to the Contemporary because most of the boat was headed to Hoop De Doo and they were furious with the driver for not switching his route "this one time". DH and I kept looking at each other like "your on vacation people, calm down and enjoy it". LOL.

buzznwoodysmom
03-16-2011, 09:50 PM
How was my peanut sauce at Ohana's? Hope you ate extra for me!

Hahaha, I forgot to tell you this, but since we were sharing with lots of people I would scoop the sauce into my plate with a spoon, instead of dipping my food into it. Everytime I took another spoon full, which I did a lot (yum), I'd say to my self "this one's for Lisa".

buzznwoodysmom
03-16-2011, 09:55 PM
Been anxious for your reports Denise! Okay, so off to Epcot next - must be some Duffy in there somewhere. :D

I was waiting for you to ask about Duffy. I'll give you a little preview, Landon bought more outfits than he promised himself he would. The kid couldn't help himself. LOL. And for the first time we actually did all the kidcot stations because they were Duffy themed. I'm telling you at 9 years old, I was a little concerned that he was still interested in a stuffed bear, he is a bit old for this kind of thing, but then I have to remind myself that he has the rest of his life to be grown up. They have such a small window to actually be kids, so I enjoyed watching him be so young and innocent. He had a blast, but I didn't see many other Duffy's being toted around like ours. The CMs loved him and all his outfits. He is definitely a hit with CMs it seems.

yjgirl32
03-17-2011, 11:10 AM
Great report- we are hoping to catch Wishes from the beach area of the Poly- that would be a first for us.

PrettyMinnie
03-17-2011, 11:27 AM
Thanks for reporting! Sounds like a great first day, can't wait to read what's next!! :minnie:

MississippiDisneyFreak
03-17-2011, 01:51 PM
Sounds like a good first day

pdrlkr
03-17-2011, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

vizsla
03-18-2011, 05:19 AM
Thanks for the report.

KylesMom
03-18-2011, 09:25 AM
Denise, I too have been looking forward to your reports! It's good to see your whole family together for this one.

Yay WL! I'm glad they were able to get you situated in another room that was both more to your liking and was closer to your mom's.

However, there were many, many unhappy folks every time we used the boats at WL. Everyone seemed to have “very important reservations” and were always mad that they had to make the trip to the other resort before their stop. We heard the same gripping on each and every trip we took on the WL boats. Sadly, we've seen this as well. At times I've felt SO bad for the boat captains having to deal with the foot stomping and yelling. At any rate, I'm glad your trip to Ohana was a great one and everyone enjoyed the meal and the games. Cool way to end the evening with monorail-view fireworks.

Looking forward to Day 2 & Epcot! :mickey:

DisneyorBust
03-20-2011, 09:52 AM
Enjoyed reading your Day 1 report....except for those increasing gas prices! Glad to read that your were able to get a different room closer to your Mother, nice upgrade! Off to your next report.

wildernesslady
03-20-2011, 10:53 AM
Sounds like a great start. The food at 'Ohanas is so good. Can't wait to read the rest of your reports.

DizNee143
03-29-2011, 04:01 PM
sounds like you guys had a nice drive to disney..well besides like you said the gas prices!! absolutely crazy! ugh..
and sounds like a nice start to your vacation..went stayed at wilderness lodge for the first time the last time we went..we fell in love with it..and willbe staying there again in 2012..i cant wait..
agains sounds like it was such a great day night..i hope the rest of the vacation is just like today..:mickey:

January-2007
04-16-2011, 07:27 PM
Thanks for reporting.

Dsnygirl
04-17-2011, 02:53 AM
What a great first day... you make me so anxious to get there! And what a nice upgrade -- and ending up near your mom was just about perfect. :thumbsup: My DH and I are hoping to stay at WL our next "alone" trip... you make me REALLY want to do that!

Your dinner and time at the Poly sounded so special... we've only eaten there, we've never walked the grounds. Thinking that might have to be on our list next trip... :)