PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Week of October or 1st Week of December?

clausjo
03-16-2011, 01:16 PM
We've got a tentative trip scheduled for the week of October 17th, but I'm thinking of maybe switching to the week of December 4th. We haven't been to Disney for the holidays in several years and I'd love for my kids to see all the decorations. Asside from the decorations, what are the benefits of going at this time?

faline
03-16-2011, 01:21 PM
Hard choice! Those are both great times to visit!

In December, you have the Candlelight Processional, the Santas throughout World showcase and Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. Beyond that, there are great decorations every place you turn!

hoop de do
03-16-2011, 01:47 PM
I'm like Faline, both are great but with the kids I think I'd go with the first week of Dec.
Which ever one you pick - Have a GREAT vaca.
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

floridamom
03-16-2011, 02:51 PM
Unless being able to spend lots of time at the pool or water parks is important to you, I think going during the holiday season is the best! :mickey:

WishingStar2006
03-16-2011, 03:39 PM
I have been both times of year and for me I would choose the October dates just because the weather is better. The first week of December CAN get chilly and that can lessen some of the fun.

With that said...if you (and/or children) have not been during Christmas it is a MUST. The decorations are incredible...just incredible. And there are special shows going on...it's really special!!!!!

AllDisney
03-16-2011, 03:48 PM
Our last 3 trips have been the first week in December. It can be cold during this time of the year, but it's worth it to see the decorations. Crowds aren't bad.

I think you'll be more than happy not matter what your choice:mickey:

MyDisneyworld
03-17-2011, 09:28 AM
We go every year during the 3rd week in October and love it as the temp is perfect. We get to enjoy the food and wine festival along with the Halloween events. You can still swim during the day and in the evening you just need a light jacket.
We also went one year during the first week in December just to experience the xmas stuff and really enjoyed it. We probably would not do it again but it is a must do at least once. As others posted it gets very cold at night where you need a winter jacket, hat and gloves. We are from Michigan so if we think it's cold...... If swimming is important to you then I would go in October but if not then at least go once and experience it you won't be sorry either way (it's Disney).

crazygoalie39
03-17-2011, 09:51 AM
We've gone in both December and October and loved both. We actually didn't find it to be that chilly in December. The lowest it ever got at night was mid-40s. It great to experience the Christmas season at WDW. I highly recommend it if you or your kids have never done it before. That being said, if you have, October is also great. Crowds are low and MNSSHP is great fun. :mickey:

Scar
03-17-2011, 11:29 AM
I've been both and prefer Oct. But that's only because I'm a big fan of the F&W Festival and World Showcase.

ryca1dreams
03-17-2011, 04:37 PM
I've only been in December once and won't go again. It wasn't awful, but the weather was very unpredictable, even worse than Texas. Plus there was a huge crowd a few days - I think it was due to a high school sports event or cheerleading competition. I was really surprised.

I love October because of weather, smaller crowds, MNSSHP, and it's a good time for a break for me. Just my preference.

faline
03-17-2011, 06:23 PM
I will admit the weather in December can be very unpredictable and I have been there at that time of year when it was downright cold - think wind chills! Still it's a wonderful time to vist as are the October dates!!!

PrettyMinnie
03-17-2011, 07:19 PM
Like OP have said, both dates would be fun, but personally I would chose the December date because Christmas decorations are magical! I'm sure your children would love to see it unless they have their hearts set on some pool time.

faline
03-18-2011, 08:04 AM
Like OP have said, both dates would be fun, but personally I would chose the December date because Christmas decorations are magical! I'm sure your children would love to see it unless they have their hearts set on some pool time.

While December weather is variable, there have been December trips when we've had no pool time but there have also been December trips when it was more than warm enough to spend the entire day at the pool.

BugeyedMuggy
03-18-2011, 09:50 AM
2011 was our first trip to Disney in Dec. We always love Oct for the F&WF and the MNSSHP. In our opinion the MVMCP was not even comparable to the Halloween party. The weather was alot colder. It got down to 35° at night. The Osbourne lights , the holiday storytellers in Epcot and the decorations at the Epcot resort area hotels were the only thing that made it worth the trip for us. Being from the NE I like to be in Disney when it's warm.