PDA

View Full Version : Crowds at MK, AK and DHS this week

ljgirl
03-16-2011, 12:01 AM
What are the crowds like at these parks this week? We were at MK yesterday and it was the worst experience I have had there in the 36 years that I have been going! I was so disappointed. We will go back at the end of the week but for now we are enjoying Universal Orlando.

Melanie
03-16-2011, 06:09 AM
My in-laws were at AK yesterday and said they were parking folks on the grass areas by noon. By the sounds of things, and what I've been seeing on Twitter, the parks are very crowded this spring.

minnielove
03-16-2011, 07:22 AM
WE just returned from Disney last wednesday. It was crowded and the wait times were the worst we have ever experienced in Disney. We will not return in the Spring ever. I loaded Disney Wait times on myiphone so that i could see what the ride wait times were doing while i was in line waiting on rides. It helped to know and make a decision if their was a particular ride i want to go on.

Kenny1113
03-16-2011, 07:54 AM
To the op, I have a friend going to universal this week.we are thinking about going as well. Is universal any better?

Dopey's Girl
03-16-2011, 08:21 AM
My friends are there right now and texted that at around 1 yesterday Midway Mania had a 2.5 hour line...yuck!

SandmanGStefani24
03-16-2011, 01:35 PM
are they expected to drop off any before summer starts?

Daisy'sMom
03-16-2011, 06:44 PM
We went over to Epcot yesterday and the crowds were terrible. Everyone must be on spring break. I know the kids here are off and someone said most of the south has school breaks also.
I made a comment to DH while at Epcot. I said I wanted Disney to close the park each year for a few days and just open to Florida residents. I said this kidding around.
Anyway, someone behind me said he had been writing to Disney for years requesting this. LOL
We love the crowds. It is so much fun to people watch.:mickey:

Joannelet
03-16-2011, 08:35 PM
I know a lot of people there right now...so I am guessing it is reallly busy...that and they all saw A Rod and Cameron Diaz in Magic Kingdom last night :)

mainemajor
03-16-2011, 08:43 PM
On Monday MK was almost at capacity. With Toon Town closed I think the rest of MK seems even busier/more packed in it seems. I got to park out near the end of Sneezy parking lot.

ljgirl
03-16-2011, 08:45 PM
I hate admit it because we are Disney purists but Universal Studios/Island of Adventure were MUCH better. We spent Sunday, yesterday and today there. The parks were well kept and everyone was so friendly! Not sure what is going on with Disney right now. We have been there over Spring Break 3 other times and it has always been busy but very manageable! I am so disappointed this year.

Next time I will book a hotel at US. All of their guests get unlimited Fast Passes for the length of their stay!:D

Melanie
03-16-2011, 08:49 PM
To the op, I have a friend going to universal this week.we are thinking about going as well. Is universal any better?

We are going Friday. I'll be tweeting, on the INTERCOT account, regarding crowds, etc.

Checkers
03-17-2011, 09:23 AM
:mickey:We are here right now and the crowds are the worst I have ever seen. It doesn't appear to matter which park you choose, it is the same -- wall to wall people. I think today will be a resort day for us. Yesterday we did go to DTD and it wasn't too bad. The weather, however, is perfect. May DD says she would much rather go in late Aug. and brave the heat and humidity just for the lower crowds!

DreamFinder2
03-18-2011, 01:05 PM
I just returned from a Sunday-Wed trip, with one day at each park. Very busy, yes. But, if you stick to the "get there early, leave, and go back in the evening" plan, they weren't that bad. I was at MK at rope drop on Sunday and had experience most of what I wanted to by 10am or so. I left at about 2pm and it was starting to get crowded. We went back Sunday night for a while and rode a couple things during Wishes.

Hollywood Studios on Mon was busy, too...but we actually got a lot done before our 1:30 ADR at Brown Derby. We got a FP for TSM and had no issues with it at all.

AK on Tues was busy, but I didn't stay long...I don't really like that park.

And, Wed was our Epcot day. We were there from 7:45am (Segway tour at 8:30) until after Illuminations. A very long day, but we got to do and see everything we wanted to. Had a FP for Soarin' and a 75 minute wait for TT.

As long as you plan, it's not a big deal :mickey:

epceddie
03-18-2011, 10:42 PM
I feel sorry for everybody who can only go when their kids are out of school. Spring break and Christmas sound like horrible times to go and I've seen some scary photos taken during those times of the year.
We don't have any kids, so we can go whenever we feel like it. Our favorite months are September and October. We used to enjoy going in January, but the weather has been really cold the last couple of years and traveling from the Northeast presents its own set of challenges.
September and October are wonderful. The crowds are light, we walk on just about everything, and we make good use of fastpasses. Plus, we really enjoy the Halloween party at the MK.
We're heading back in September and can't wait. The highest crowd prediction on Touring Plans is a three. It's too bad that some people never get to experience this.

Goofster
03-21-2011, 12:49 PM
We were just there February 27th - March 4th and the crowds were very manageable. The most we waited for a ride was 20 minutes and that was for Dumbo. We picked that week as it was the week after President's Day, the week before Mardi Gras and well before Spring Break. I think we'll stick with that same plan next year!

We pulled our kids out during the week from school. They got their homework in advance and did it on the plane, at the airport and at home.

javamama
03-23-2011, 05:00 PM
This is why I pull my kids out of school for a few days, I seriously would have a hard time with insane lines. Plus my kids would have a harder time with it, and then there is my even bigger baby...dh:D For those who do it, I don't envy you at all. I know most of our flights are full this week....

Crow
03-27-2011, 10:34 PM
arrived late the 15th. went to MK the 16th. crowded..Epcot 17th shortly after opening & the Soarin Line was on the second level almost to the door to Land pavilion, even for fastpass. Id have to say the crowds were among the worst I remember.

Disneyfirsttimer
03-28-2011, 01:26 PM
We visited this same week last year but Easter was much earlier and it was terrible! The crowds and lines were crazy. Went back in Sept and fell in love. So much so we are going back again this Sept.

tink88
04-02-2011, 01:30 PM
We're going up Friday. Will post info. We usually go in May and it is busy but not crazy busy. This year we're giving April a go, but are bracing ourselves for major crowds. We went once at Thanksgiving and will never do that again. I'd never experienced it that packed. Like many of you, my favorite month to go is September. People think I'm nuts when I tell them that because of the heat and humidity but so long as that doesn't bother you it really is a great month to go.

MarkC
04-02-2011, 08:51 PM
Our kids will be out of the house if 5 months (college for both finally) so we'll get to experience both September and October. Can't wait.\

I think part of the reason for the current crowds is the slight rebound in the economy, and people who had put off trips are now taking them. Also, people like all of us on this board are getting much smarter about what they want to see and do, etc., so everyone rushes to the e-ticket rides. Its not like years ago when most visitors were the "once in a lifetime" guests. We're all Disney Pros.