PDA

View Full Version : ? about converting to AP

sassy2000
03-15-2011, 12:13 PM
I think I know the answer to this but just wanted to make sure...
We are going down May 24-June 1 with a 7-day hopper. If we activate our ticket on May 25 and then convert to AP on May 31, when is our AP expiration? The 25th or 31st? Thanks. :mickey:

PopPhan
03-15-2011, 12:57 PM
Your AP would have an expiration date on the 25th - the day you first used the original ticket.

disneymom15
03-15-2011, 01:58 PM
PopPhan is correct.

DizneyRox
03-15-2011, 02:43 PM
Actually, I think it would be the 26th, but maybe they handle an upgrade differently than an outright purchase.

jnfr2424
03-17-2011, 09:30 AM
I would also suggest to change over to AP on the 25th so the price of the 7 day hopper can reflect on your AP pricing

Granny Jill A
03-17-2011, 02:04 PM
I would also suggest to change over to AP on the 25th so the price of the 7 day hopper can reflect on your AP pricing

That's what I did one trip. I changed my park hopper to an AP at the guest services window before I entered my first park. They credited my purchase price to the AP total. Easy as pie!

BrerGnat
03-17-2011, 02:12 PM
If the AP you are converting to offers retail or dining discounts, convert it at the beginning of you vacation, so you can take advantage of the discounts!

The expiration date will be one year from the first day of use of the ticket that was put towards the upgrade.

CleveRocks
03-17-2011, 11:45 PM

If the 7-day ticket was bought at any sort of legitimate discount, then the above is bad advice.

Actually, I don't understand it to begin with ... when you upgrade a ticket, you get the full cash value of the ticket, it's not like you only get credit for the days that are left on the ticket. In other words, let's say you buy a 7-day base ticket for the gate price of $247 ($263.06 including tax). Whether you upgrade to the AP before you ever use the ticket OR if you upgrade at the end of your trip and you've totally used up all the days on the ticket, you will STILL get a credit of $263.06 towards the AP purchase price either way.

Your ticket doesn't become less valuable towards an upgrade when you use it. And a ticket can be added to or upgraded even when it's totally spent, as long as it's not later than 14 days from the date of first use. Past that 14 day mark, a Magic Your Way ticket can't be added to or upgraded in any way, even if you'd purchased the No Expiration option.

Now, back to my original point. If you buy the original ticket at a discount (or if you bought it a while ago before the most recent ticket price increase) and you upgrade the ticket before ever using it, you will lose any discount you once had. However, if you use the ticket at least once and then after that you upgrade the ticket, you'll get credit for the full gate price ratther than the lower price you actually paid for it.

For example, let's look at a 7-day ticket bought from Undercover Tourist (an authorized Disney ticket reseller) for $253.95 including tax. That's $9.11 less than the Disney gate price for that ticket (including tax). Stay with me here ....

The price of an Annual Pass is $499 + tax, $531.44 with tax. If you DON'T use your discounted ticket before upgrading, you'll have to pay the difference between what you actually paid for the ticket and the cost of the AP. However, if you use that ticket at least once before upgrading, you'll save yourself $9.11, because when you go and do the upgrade they will credit you for the full gate price of your ticket rather than only crediting you what you actually paid for it.

Strange, but true.

sassy2000
03-18-2011, 11:21 AM
Thanks Everyone! :mickey: