PDA

View Full Version : 3/3/11 - 3/10/11

Skyler1967
03-15-2011, 09:33 AM
This is my first posting on intercot, and hopefully someone planning their WDW vacation will find the info useful. Here are my thoughts in no certain order:
1.) If you're staying in a value resort, choose AS-Sports. Bus service was consistently fast (but crowded). Despite what I'd read, the rooms in the All-Stars were perfect for our family of 4.
2.) If there's a chance of rain, hit the water park. We went on 3/6, forecast was for rain & we had the park to ourselves. We had such a great time walking onto everything, swimming lazily with the sharks, and doing the wave pool. Obviously this wouldn't work out if the rain was steady & the temps were cold, but so much of our planning is a gamble anyway...
3.) Be aware of Mardi Gras! The parks were flooded with (friendly, nice) Louisiana people! I watched crowd rates on touringplans go up & up & up as our vacation dates arrived, and I think this was mostly due to the entire state emptying out in anticipation of all the craziness in New Orleans. Great folks, but just so MANY of them! We caught the tail-end of the Brazilian tour groups (saw all the flags) but found them to be easy to avoid, probably because there weren't too many of them.
4.) PhotoPass! I love carrying a photopass card around and handing it to 4 or 5 different photogs a day. Great shots and I'm actually IN the photos.
5.) Not all quick service meals are equal (though they all count as a punch). In Epcot, for example, the amount of food you receive from each country varies pretty wildly. In Italy, you can get a Sicilian slice of cheese with your punch, when walking to our new favorite country, Morocco, gives you a great, unusual meal that will really keep you filled up until dinner. Similar experience in AK, our Yak & Yeti quick-services were huge, and yet they only counted as one 'punch.' Shop around for your quick service rather than just going to the closest eatery.
6.) Combining a trip with another family is dicey. We arranged our trip around another family, and ended up spending a lot less time with them than we anticipated. Our vacation plan (see & do a LOT) was very different than theirs (relax, enjoy their resort). Talk this out beforehand.
7.) We didn't eat breakfast at our resort. Instead, one of us took the 2 refillable mugs (last trip we bought 4...too $$$$!) and got awful coffee, and a piece of fruit, and we packed a box of Nutri-Grain bars to take along. This held us until our 11:30-12:00 lunch & didn't "eat" a lot of time in an already rushed morning schedule of getting to the parks early.
8.) Speaking of getting to the parks early, do it! We went to HS on 3/8, arrived 10 minutes early, and there was already a mob, which headed to TSM with me, making a 2 block long FastPass line by 9:02! Fortunately, we walked on GreatMovie Ride, and got FP's for TofT & Rockin'Roller Coaster.
9.) For the semi-rookie like myself, I think I finally figured out FastPasses and here's what worked. Get them early and often. It made our vacation so much more enjoyable. Get one right away when you arrive. Arrive at the next attraction 1 minute after your FP's would allow you to return so you can get another round of fun. A cast member tipped me off on this.
10.) We really enjoyed our Hidden Mickey search. We bought the 3rd edition of the guide book on our last trip, but the 4th edition is in park stores. Cast members were always willing to help us, and even point out some that weren't in the guide book or very difficult to find. AKL had quite a few. Our favorite was in Swiss Family Robinson coming down from the top bedroom, in the "algae".
11.) Jungle Cruise @ night. Fun!

I'm sure there's more that I'm forgetting. All in all a great trip, pretty good weather, polite though LARGE crowds, and Disney's magic was in full effect for our family.:cloud9:
Thanks for listening!
-Scott

Mickey'sGirl
03-15-2011, 09:37 AM
Welcome to INTERCOT, Scott! :welcome:

Great report, and some great tips! Thanks for posting! :mickey:

:secret: I too LOVE the Jungle Cruise at night!

slegrant
03-15-2011, 09:40 AM
Welcome in Intercot! Sounds like you had a great time:mickey:

yjgirl32
03-15-2011, 10:38 AM
Great report! Very good advice!

KylesMom
03-15-2011, 10:50 AM
It sure doesn't sound like you're a "semi-rookie", Scott! All really sound advice. I can especially appreciate PhotoPass where you're actually in your family photos, the tip about getting FPs early and often, and getting to the parks early in general.

Our family really enjoys searching for those elusive Hidden Mickeys, too. I'll be looking for that one in the Treehouse next trip. :D

Thanks for sharing - and Welcome to INTERCOT!:mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
03-15-2011, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the report, we also believe in getting to the parks early. Is there a counter service in Italy now? I didn't know that.

faline
03-15-2011, 11:43 AM
Welcome to Intercot! :mickey:

Thanks for all the tips! I'm sure many will find them very valuable in planning their own vacations!

deedeebee
03-15-2011, 11:44 AM
We were there at the time, #3 is SO true!!!!!

cer
03-15-2011, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the report, we also believe in getting to the parks early. Is there a counter service in Italy now? I didn't know that.

I think it is a seasonal thing, I read somewhere through the first part of May. (I think!)

Welcom to intercot. Thanks for the report!

pdrlkr
03-15-2011, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

:welcome:

conan617
03-15-2011, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the tip on the fast passes. FPs will be a new experience for me in Sept.

Awesome report and good info! Thanks!

CanadianWDWFan
03-15-2011, 10:21 PM
:welcome: to INTERCOT!

Thanks for the report.:thumbsup:

Mousefever
03-16-2011, 09:29 AM
Welcome to Intercot, Scott! We're glad you're here! Very sound advice too. I'm glad your trip was full of Disney Magic!

Amy

KatieDuck22
03-16-2011, 03:00 PM
love the jungle cruise at night tip! sounds like u had a blast! can't wait to go back! 37 more days!

PrettyMinnie
03-16-2011, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the report and the useful tips! I am from an hour away from Hershey, PA! Way too far from WDW for me!!

:welcome:

Momto3littlemice
03-17-2011, 08:16 AM
Thanks for the report! We were there at the same time and I completely agree about the LA people -- all easy to get along with but there sure are a lot of LSU fans out there!!! Wow! And, we did the Toy Story run the day after you did at 9 am and it was the same way. We sent our fastest runner (lucky a true athlete) to the FP line (he was second) and the rest of us ran to the standby line so we could ride twice total. That day we left the strollers in the car because there is no running in that mob with a stroller -- the mornings are so much better at MK where there isn't just one ride people are looking to go for.

I am interested in the Touring Plans numbers -- do you mind writing what they were for the days we were there? I had checked early on and thought it looked okay but I agree the crowds were big when we were actually there...

Thanks!:mickey:

jennbunn
03-20-2011, 11:49 AM
We were also at all star sports during that time 2/27 to 3/6. I loved the resort and the bus service was great. I agree with the crowds picking up towards the end.

Joannelet
03-20-2011, 12:26 PM
Wow, no way are you a rookie!!!
What great tips you gave! :)
Great job!

January-2007
04-16-2011, 07:18 PM
Thanks for reporting.

vizsla
04-17-2011, 05:23 AM
Thanks for the report.