PDA

View Full Version : vegan dining

kgoulash
03-14-2011, 06:11 PM
i know disney is very accommodating to the various diets/eating habits of its guests, but i'm just wondering what have been good/bad experiences with vegan dining.
this will be my first trip to the world as a full fledged vegan
i'm interested in experiences with quick service as well as sit down meals
thanks!

debandbub
03-14-2011, 06:48 PM
We are vegetarian, bordering on veganism....Last fall, we found Disney to be very very accommodating. I would suggest contacting Disney dining and inquiring about vegan options. They emailed us a listing of various vegetarian and vegan options. I just printed it out and carried it with me. We did mostly counter service, but the table service places are also very willing to accommodate. YOU WILL NOT GO HUNGRY!!!

BugeyedMuggy
03-15-2011, 09:40 AM
I am not allowed to post another site but if you want I can private message you the url. This site has all the info you would need.

kgoulash
03-15-2011, 12:40 PM
thank you , i would appreciate that!
:mickey:

BugeyedMuggy
03-15-2011, 05:23 PM
I sent you a PM.

ElenitaB
03-15-2011, 10:49 PM
My first trip as a vegan to DisneyWorld was last August. Many of the vegetarian entrees at the TS restaurants could be "veganized," however I made sure to annotate every ADR, requesting a vegan meal. In addition, I sent WDW an email two weeks prior to my trip and listed all my ADRs. At CS restaurants, I spoke with the manager to arrange for a vegan entree. Some of my vegetarian favorites, could be made vegan by not including certain elements (i.e., the broccoli slaw off of the hummus sandwich at CHH, no lentils on the falafel entree at Tangerine Cafe, no cheese on salads). Divvies cookies are available at most CS locations and Babycakes is now at DTD! :cloud9:

Some of my favorite meals this past trip: the vegetarian entree at Sci-Fi; a stir fry at Sunshine Seasons; vegan waffles at WCC; a pasta primavera at Olivia's; my meal of sides at Kouzzina (I still want their recipe for their "farmhouse greens" :tasty: ). There are vegan menus at San Angel Inn, Sanaa and Jiko, and rumor has it that the same holds true for La Hacienda de San Angel and Via Napoli. Chef TJ, formerly of Boma and then 'Ohana, can now be found at 1900 Park Fare. He's a gem!

Where not to eat? Marrakesh. Wolfgang Puck Cafe (to my dismay). Luckily, DTD is now covered with certain dishes at Pollo Campero and Fresh Appeal.

Where did I have the most problems? The store at OKW. Wolfgang Puck Cafe (they literally served me a "salad with beans" where the beans were green beans, not legumes).

Let me know if you have any questions...

kgoulash
03-16-2011, 08:26 AM
thank you so much,
hearing personal experience of a vegan is very helpful :mickey:

i'm happy to hear about san angel inn, i just love the atmosphere there, it's one of my musts.
as a vegetarian i would just sort of wing it but i know i'll need a bit more prep this time
did you make the vegan request when you made the adr? so that eliminated separate calls to individual chefs?
i've read to call each individual rest. a week out, just wondering if that is necess, i don't want to overly annoy the chefs who will be serving me
thanks again to all your responses.

ElenitaB
03-16-2011, 11:03 PM
Yes, I did make the vegan request when I made each ADR. Generally I noted that I had "allergies" which I didn't feel quite comfortable in doing. I haven't made ADRs lately but when I did look at reserving a cruise, there is now a checkbox for vegan meals. Maybe WDW will catch up one of these days. I'd be happier not to lie to indicate my dining preference.

No need to call each restaurant. Just send the email and they'll take care of it. However, the calls can't hurt either. Unfortunately, they will involve a lot of dialing and leaving messages.

One other note. Be sure to talk to the chef directly and not convey your dietary requests through your server. When I did that, it was a disaster!