PDA

View Full Version : Hawaii question

Bethis26fan
03-14-2011, 09:10 AM
My cousin and I are looking at taking a trip to Hawaii next year (oct 2012). I’m starting to do my research on it. Neither one of us have been off the east coast so this is all new to us. We’ve have never flown so that brings me to the 1st question, what is the best air line to use? I know a lot of y’all fly to Orlando and would love your suggest. Second should we rent a car when we get there? I’m a little nervous about driving where I don’t know anything. I mean I drove in Orlando and was fine but again I don’t know what Hawaii is like. Then the last question is what hotel do you like there? Also any suggestions on stuff to do and see would be awesome. We are going to go to Oahu and plan to stay on that island for the whole week. We are looking at hotels in the Waikiki beach area.

faline
03-14-2011, 10:20 AM
I've stayed at the Sheraton Waikiki which is an ocean front resort. It does big business with Japenese tourists. The trip before that, we stayed in a resort that was one block back from the beach - I prefer oceanfront to the block back. We had a fair amount of city noise when we stayed a block back and no noise on the beach.

I would absolutely recommend renting a car but do expect to pay a fair amount for parking at Waikiki. You'll want to be able to explore other parts of the island while you are there. I would certainly recommend a trip to Pearl Harbour. If you opt not to rent a car, I know there are tours you can sign up for but, personally, I'd rather do at my own pace rather than the tour company's. Plus they always seem to throw in a few spots that are solely designed to get you to spend money on trinkets etc.

This is a very long trip for a first time flight. Expect to spend about 10 hours in flight and expect to need to change plans somewhere along the way - typical spots for changing planes are Dallas, Chicago and LA or San Fran.

Also, keep in mind that Waikiki is some distance from Honolulu airport so you might face a fairly hefty bill if you were to taxi from there to your resort. Again, I'd suggest a rental car is the best option.

I'm not sure there is a best airline to use. I'd go with the best deal especially since airfare is quite steep when you're coming form the East Coast.

In addition to Pearl Harbor, you could visit the Bowfin (a submarine) located at Pearl Harbor; the USS Missouri (a shuttle ride form Pearly Harbor); and the Air Museum (also a shuttle ride from Pearl Harbor). Taking a ride to the North Shore is fun.

Sea Life Park is a more intimate version of Sea World and you get the added bonus of some stunning scenery while you're watching the shows.

There's a zoo and aquarium on Oahu; there are museums and the Polynesian Cultural Center. Visit the Aoha Tower and the shops that are located there. Attend a luau.

There'll be much to keep you busy!

hokies4life
03-15-2011, 08:47 AM
I can't wait to go back to Hawaii! I agree with faline about going with the best deal. Last year ours ended up being with United and Hawaiian Airlines. We changed planes in LA. We were there about a week and a half and only rented a car for 2 days. We used it when we wanted to go to the North Shore and Polynesian Cultural Center. Also for one of the hikes we went on since it was a little far away from Waikiki. All the other days we walked or took the bus. I found the bus very easy to use. I toured downtown Honolulu, Honolulu Zoo, the mall, the swapmeet at Aloha Stadium, International Marketplace, and so many other places. I did alot of research online and with guidebooks, I didn't get to see half the stuff I wanted to but I definitely enjoyed my time.

As far as lodging we stayed at Embassy Suites Waikiki which was just across the street from the beach. We were right next to the Fort Derussy Army Museum. I thought it was a great location, but a little bit of a walk from the busy part of Waikiki beach.

Have fun! You'll have a great time!!

Bethis26fan
03-15-2011, 08:56 AM
It's kind of funny that's the you both said the 2 hotels we've been looking at.

How's the traffic when driving? Are the roads confusing like a lot of one ways and stuff like that?

TheDuckRocks
03-15-2011, 11:19 AM
Airfare - go with the least expensive, they are all pretty much the same.
Rent a car - yes, there are a lot of one way streets, mainly in the Waikiki area. Get a rental with a GPS system or take one with you or use the one with your cell phone if you have that feature.
Hilton Hawaiian Village - after many trips to Hawaii and then living there 13 years, to us this still remains the number one choice on Oahu if you can afford it.
Don't miss Pearl Harbor - drive there and use the free tour available through the National Parks Service. If you take a private tour you will not be able to actually go onto the Arizona Memorial.
Attend a luau - yes, tacky touristy but a must. Germaines seems to still be the most popular and they will take you by bus from your resort area and return you back safe and sound after an evening of mai tais.
Go to Sam Choy's Breakfast, Lunch & Crab for breakfast - located on the road to the airport, they have valet parking as the area isn't very "walker" friendly. Great macadamia pancakes, fried rice (very local to eat fried rice for breakfast) and my favorite spinach omlette. While you're right there you can also make a quick stop at Hilo Hattie's tourist trap. Lots of really cheap trinkets, candy, coffee, etc. for giving out to everyone who asks you to "please, just bring me something back".
A suggestion - go to AAA or a travel agent who has experience with Hawaii and talk to them about a packaged trip. Sometimes you can get a complete package that includes arifare, hotel and car rental for not a whole lot more than just the price of the airfare. It's worth asking what they might have available.
Have a great trip.

wdwfansince75
03-15-2011, 09:44 PM
Haven't been back in some time, but if your schedule is flexible, the Aloha Festival is a week of special shows, great Hawaiian music, parades, and tours. It is in late September, as I recall.

I spent some time on a business trip at the Turtle Bay Resort...absolutely a fantastic get away....About the closest resort to Polynesian Cultural Center...and convenient (by rental car, or by moped) to the North Shore...

Oahu, especially in the Honolulu area, is very developed...still pleasant, but crowded, and very touristy...lots of shows, and lots of places to spend money....Turtle Bay is on the northeast corner of the Island...Honolulu is on the south shore, towards the eastern end...TB is at least a half hour drive from the airport...via the Pali Highway...

Lots of small local restuarants on the north shore...great places for local cuisine, enjoying the food and views of the ocean and surfers ....

In addition to Pearl Harbor, there is the Punchbowl, the National Military Cemetery of the Pacific...Honolulu's Arlington Cemetery....Heroes lie there....worth the visit.

When we were stationed at Barbers Pt, DW and I used to take the kids to the Honolulu Zoo on Sundays...stopping at the Holiday Inn for a Sunday afternoon buffet...

We also had a wonderful evening on a dinner cruise...dining and dancing...

murphy1
03-30-2011, 03:50 PM
Go snorkeling at Hanauma Bay!! We went in October 1997 and it is just fantastic. My grandma is from Honolulu and Kailua and I want to go back again with my kids. Driving is fairly easy around the islands. Go to Duke's Canoe Club and the Poly Cultural Center. We also went to Kauai and Maui, Kauai is like no other place on earth and truly magical!

PS Kay or anyone that knows when the cheapest time of year is to go let me know, I need to plan for some time in near future.

Shari

TheDuckRocks
04-03-2011, 04:11 PM
Shari, I just went to my DVC point chart for the new DIsney resort that is opening on Oahu and it takes less points from the second week of Jan. to the end of Feb. and the day after Labor Day until the end of the first week in Oct. My guess is the lower points would indicate less traveled/cheapest times to go. Now my favorite time of the year in Hawaii is May - not terribly crowded, everything in bloom and great weather and DVC considers it to be only a few points more for usage. When you live there you become so used to the constant flow of tourist you don't think if it is a more budget friendly time to go or not.

murphy1
04-04-2011, 10:39 AM
haha Kay, that is what I used to feel like growing up in a Florida beach town. Thanks! I think I would like to do right at end of May, our kids get out of school then and we do Disney and Florida visits around then, too and it's still quiet.

CynBeth
04-17-2011, 08:45 AM
We live in MD and have been twice. The first time was on our honeymoon and the travel agent got us a package with United where we were on Oahu a few days them flew to Oahu a few days and the Big Island a few days. We rented a car on each Island but ended up not needing it. We found the trolley and other tours on the 3 islands. Our second trip was last summer around Memorial Day and we did the 7 day cruise with NCL. It is the only cruiseline that sets sail from Hawaii. With other lines you get the ship in CA and have days on sea. We flew on Delta and we had to fly to Atlanta which is the main hub and then it was 9 straight hours to Oahu. We flew in the day before and stayed at the Marriott Waikiki. We had a little time to sightsee. The ship went to Maui, Kauai, and both sides of the Big Island. We also did a tour on Oahu when we came back. We stayed overnighAndy Hilton Hawaiian Village and coming home could only get a late afternoon overnight flight so we did some sightseeing that day as well. Because of how long it takes to get there I would recommend seeing more than one island for a week. Good luck!

magicalmom
04-25-2011, 09:55 AM
If you are into science, forces of nature, and so forth - you should see if there is a tour flight (small plane or helicopter) from Oahu over the erupting volcano on the Big Island. It's amazing!

jimsgal05
05-09-2011, 09:25 PM
Hello You will love the hawaiian Island be there several times to the BIG ISLAND MAUI and Ohau

if you go too BI or Ohau saty at a bed and breakfast... Maui I stay at the marriot in La hania

you can private mess age me..I have alot of books I can send you and other info too

Lori

Bethis26fan
05-13-2011, 09:14 PM
Thanks everyone!!

Stevadore
07-10-2011, 06:21 PM
If you are into science, forces of nature, and so forth - you should see if there is a tour flight (small plane or helicopter) from Oahu over the erupting volcano on the Big Island. It's amazing!

We flew over the Volcano at night when we left. Spectacular!
We stayed w/sis-in-law and don't know about the hotels. They took us to some local hidden gems but I couldn't tell you where they are.
The inter-island air fare is reasonable and we went to Maui for a couple days. Less touristy and a fun drive to Lahaina. Macadamia nut factory is great. I learned why you dont buy them in the shell. If you wonder why they are so expensive, it's a tough nut to crack!

limzone
07-13-2011, 08:25 PM
i was also there last month but here was too much costly hotel i was too much shocked and was find a home where i was deal in cheap price but it was too much hard to get home but try to book hotel online and then go there

princessgirls
07-14-2011, 12:17 PM
Hawaii is a beautiful place to go! You will LOVE it!

My husband and I honeymooned there in December of 1996. A wonderful honeymoon!!!!

OK...here is what I can add.

Outrigger hotels are popular in Hawaii, we stayed at two. They are what I would call a "moderate". Nice hotels, though. We did one night 2 days on Ohua with no car. Outrigger resort there. Concierge booked us a bus tour of the island, it was all day, but very good. Went to all the major attractions, with a few hours at Pearl Harbor. Very Very Powerful going there. So glad I was able to experience that.
From there we spent five days on the "Big Island" of Hawaii. This was our favorite island. We did a helicopter over the active volcano, and Hilo, which is the rainy side of the island where they grow nuts and coffee beans. I LOVED the feel of this island, Black sand beaches and volcanic rocks...so different and cool. We had a car here, and we also went to a great Luau at our hotel. Another Outrigger resort. From the Big Island, we spent a week in Maui, at the Maui Prince. LOVE LOVE LOVED IT!!! We did a lot of stuff in Maui, had a car, ate great meals, did a Trilogy (still in operation) catamaran day trip, snorkeled, and enjoyed this beautiful lush island.
We booked this trip though a travel agent using a Hawaiian tour company. The whole trip was fabulous and the price included some breakfasts, rental car, all hotels and air hopping to the islands, and our airfare on Delta. It wasn't outrageous, as we honeymooned November 30-December 14, and that was off season.
Enjoy!!!
Julie:mickey:

AllDisney
07-18-2011, 09:33 PM
We spent a week on Oahu and stayed at one of the Outrigger hotels right on the beach. It was great. We rented a car but was shocked to find out we had to pay $25 a day to park it in the hotel parking garage.

We did Diamond Head, Poly Cultural Center, Dole Pineapple Plantation, drove over to see the surfers....most memorable was Pearl Harbor. It will take your breath away.

Have a great trip:number1:

Disney OB RN
08-06-2011, 08:07 PM
Just rented the movie Soul Surfer, and now I want to go to Hawaii!!!! The scenery of Kaui was gorgeous!!!!!