PDA

View Full Version : Charging for missed ADRs?

augusta
03-10-2011, 08:57 PM
Love the online dining reservation system. I just made a reservation at Hacienda in EPCOT for May. This statement ......
"A credit card is required to guarantee this meal; the full price of ordered meals will be charged if you cancel within one day of the reservation or are a "no show" for the reservation" ....
was part of the agreement that had to be checked before confirmation was given.
Is this new? Is it enforced? I know for special meals with characters this is done, but for all restaurants?

KylesMom
03-10-2011, 11:31 PM
Was your dining reservation for May a lunch or a dinner reservation? I suspect it was a dinner reservation.

The reason I ask is that one of the main "selling" points of La Hacienda de San Angel is that the new TS restaurant has a view of Illuminations for dinner. When it opened, we speculated that dining prices might go through the roof. Perhaps they didn't go obscenely high, but the penalty for a missed reservation would help them recoup revenue if you skipped the meal & they couldn't "sell" your spot as a walkup.

The same concept is in place for the Fantasmic! Dining Package - but you have to cancel 48 hours before the time of your ADR, or you will be charged $10 per person. Do they enforce this? From what we've seen, they do.

Any other information out there to the contrary where they're charging for every missed TS ADR?

Jared
03-11-2011, 07:33 AM
I haven't heard anything about La Hacienda requiring a credit card, nor can I find about that anywhere else online. Perhaps this is a new policy? It's also important to note that Disney's website is notorious for offering inaccurate information.

As far as I can tell, Cinderella's Royal Table and Victoria & Albert's are the only restaurants that require credit card, along with the dinner shows, the Fantasmic! Dinner Package and a few other special experiences.

I'll continue researching this question and try to get some accurate information.

cer
03-11-2011, 07:52 AM
When I made my reservations, too, I noticed that 'phraseology'. I made the reservations, but they never asked for my credit card. Not sure how they can carry it out without that info... Sure, it is linked to my Disney resort hotel, but last time I checked ANYONE can make a dining reservation whether they stay onsite or not.

I found it frustrating to read as well.

I think I noticed it on Nine Dragons, Teppan Edo, possibly others, but after the website never asked for the cc#, I just ignored it.

It IS weird.

Jared
03-11-2011, 07:54 AM
When I made my reservations, too, I noticed that 'phraseology'. I made the reservations, but they never asked for my credit card. Not sure how they can carry it out without that info... Sure, it is linked to my Disney resort hotel, but last time I checked ANYONE can make a dining reservation whether they stay onsite or not.

I found it frustrating to read as well.

I think I noticed it on Nine Dragons, Teppan Edo, possibly others, but after the website never asked for the cc#, I just ignored it.

It IS weird.
I'm guessing that the clause on the website is incorrect. It wouldn't be the first time. Seems hard to believe they would change the policy without word leaking onto the Internet by now.

cer
03-11-2011, 07:55 AM
It's also important to note that Disney's website is notorious for offering inaccurate information.

No kidding! I think this is most likely what is causing the confusion.

augusta
03-11-2011, 08:30 AM
As posted previously, I did not have to enter a credit card number, but you do have to link one to your room at check in.
This would be a good policy if enforced. It would stop multiple ressies and free up times for those who do want to eat there. I've seen trip reports stating something about we missed our ADR, too tired, other plans... and just blew it off.
It is an evening time hoping to see Illuminations from our table!

Jared
03-11-2011, 10:11 AM
Typically when you must guarantee a dining reservation with a credit card, the website prompts you to put in a number. It is not connected with the card on file at your resort. Many people make restaurant reservations before they make their hotel arrangement or who plan to stay off-site. It doesn't seem likely that you will be charged anything if you skip your dinner at La Hacienda.

As to your other point, I don't think requiring a credit card for all reservations would be a good idea. I recognize that the system has flaws, but Disney is regimented enough. Now, if I'm in a different park or am just not hungry at the time of a reservation, it's very easy to contact the restaurant and cancel with no penalty. The last thing I need is more intense scheduling.

JPL
03-11-2011, 10:37 AM
As to your other point, I don't think requiring a credit card for all reservations would be a good idea. I recognize that the system has flaws, but Disney is regimented enough. Now, if I'm in a different park or am just not hungry at the time of a reservation, it's very easy to contact the restaurant and cancel with no penalty. The last thing I need is more intense scheduling.

I really think charging for cacelled ADRs would definitely be a good thing since I know many people make multiples per day and time with the intent of choosing one that day and just skipping the others without cancelling. There are also lots of people who make ADRs with the hope of free dining being announced and then never make the trip if it isn't and do not cancel the ADRs. I think charging a fee of $5-$10 per person for ADRs that are not cancelled would help alleviate a lot of these issues.

Mickey'sGirl
03-11-2011, 10:58 AM
I really think charging for cacelled ADRs would definitely be a good thing since I know many people make multiples per day and time with the intent of choosing one that day and just skipping the others without cancelling. There are also lots of people who make ADRs with the hope of free dining being announced and then never make the trip if it isn't and do not cancel the ADRs. I think charging a fee of $5-$10 per person for ADRs that are not cancelled would help alleviate a lot of these issues.
I SOOO agree with you! One of the planning books even promotes this as a strategy!

Jared
03-11-2011, 11:43 AM
I agree that making multiple reservations is inappropriate and should be monitored. But I think if Disney wanted to curtail that specific practice, it could do it without requiring a credit card hold. The entire reservation system is computerized. Why not just set a restriction that stipulates people cannot make a reservation with a certain window of time surrounding another reservation? Therefore, guests could only hold one reservation for each meal at a time.

Could people abuse that setup somehow? I'm sure, and it probably wouldn't be that difficult. But like every other loophole in Disney policy, if it started to hurt the company's revenue stream, it would close it. For example, it's common knowledge that guests can skip paying for parking at the theme parks by parking for free in Downtown Disney. The company knows this and continues to allow the practice, probably because they end up making up the lost money from parking fees in purchases of food and merchandise in the Downtown Disney area. If that stops happening, you can guarantee they will start policing the Downtown Disney lot.

My guess is that the practice of loading up dining reservations is not nearly as common or damaging as we probably think.

JPL
03-11-2011, 01:15 PM
That safegaurd is already in place it won't let you make reservations at the same time. The problem is tracking the reservation.
It's all tracked basically by your phone number the problem is is you are going with say 4 adults they may have access to many different phone numbers. I know jusy myself alone with work, home, & cell I can use 6 different numbers when making reservations if I really wanted to do this. They definitely need a better way to prevent this from happening but they make it way too easy for people to cheat the system.

Jared
03-11-2011, 01:25 PM
That safegaurd is already in place it won't let you make reservations at the same time. The problem is tracking the reservation.
It's all tracked basically by your phone number the problem is is you are going with say 4 adults they may have access to many different phone numbers. I know jusy myself alone with work, home, & cell I can use 6 different numbers when making reservations if I really wanted to do this. They definitely need a better way to prevent this from happening but they make it way too easy for people to cheat the system.
Fair point, Jeff. But I stand behind my original statement: If it were a big enough problem, Disney would fix it. The company certainly knows that this practice happens to an extent. Ultimately, I doubt it affects us, the average guests, as much as we think.

Goes4FastPass
03-11-2011, 03:41 PM
I agree 100%, in fact, I'd be willing to pay a booking fee at the time I make an ADR if it means I would have less competition from over-bookers.

FriendsofMickey
03-11-2011, 06:30 PM
I disagree with having a policy where you were penalized for not making a ressie.
I have been lucky enough to never have to miss a ressie, but I have met many, many people who have had a kid get sick at Disney and miss ressies. Like it or not, If my girls got sick at Disney, my first priority would be them and not calling Disney Dining to cancel the ressie. That is not saying I would not call, but it might happen.
In my many trips to Disney, I have only once over booked (unknowingly and not sure how I did it). The day of the ressie, they called me and asked me if I was really coming there twice within a couple of hours. I appologized for the error and had them cancel the extra one.

Also, the idea of only being able to book one ressie within a certain timeframe doesn't work either. This past May, I went to the World and made many, many, ressies for the entire party. Sometimes we were together (no biggie), but other times we were eating seperate. This included Fantasmic Packages which were on my Credit Card. So, though permitting only one ressie (say for Dinner) works for just a family going, it does not work for large groups.

I agree that the practice of over booking is rude, but penalizing the whole for what a few do is wrong (IMO).

mom2morgan
03-11-2011, 07:11 PM
I SOOO agree with you! One of the planning books even promotes this as a strategy!

Are you kidding me? That is just so wrong! Although I suppose the advantage is that it might make for a couple pleasant surprises for hopeful walk - ups!

TheVBs
03-11-2011, 09:24 PM
Can't say I'd be crazy about getting charged for a missed ADR. We've never had to miss one, but you never know what might happen. I think that would add stress not only to the guest, but also to the CMs who would have to field the complaints and requests for refunds. I have to agree with Jared. It just seems likely that this problem represents a small percentage of visitors.

Silver_Surfer
03-11-2011, 10:06 PM
I booked 10 dinners for my trip in May and like KM stated I had to use my CC for 1 of my dinners, "Fantasmic Dining Package". I do understand why they asked me for my CC.

Fastpasssteve
03-12-2011, 02:13 AM
I believe I have had to give a credit card to secure a reservation for California Grill in the Contemporary Resort in the past. It's not a 'walk-up' kind of place.

Jared
03-12-2011, 10:51 AM
Every single planning book in existence recommends that vacationers arrive to the parks early. They put it in bold, italics and capital letters. Most of them even say that getting to the parks at opening is the single most important tip to a successful Disney vacation.

Yet most people still don't amble up to the gates until 11 a.m., leaving the first two hours open for prime touring.

My point, of course, is that guidebooks reach a minuscule percentage of guests in the parks on a given day. An even tinier percentage of those exposed to them actually follow them.

So a book may say to stockpile reservations. It certainly doesn't mean it's a common practice.

Mickey'sGirl
03-12-2011, 11:05 AM
So a book may say to stockpile reservations. It certainly doesn't mean it's a common practice.
Absolutely. I concur, but I do know of many who do the multiple ressie thing, however. Especially during free Dining periods, and I personally find it shameful. That said, in all the years I have travelled to WDW, I have ALWAYS gotten the ADRs I wanted. Sometimes the times are a little different than desired, but I have never been UNsuccessful.

Jared
03-12-2011, 11:35 AM
Absolutely. I concur, but I do know of many who do the multiple ressie thing, however. Especially during free Dining periods, and I personally find it shameful. That said, in all the years I have travelled to WDW, I have ALWAYS gotten the ADRs I wanted. Sometimes the times are a little different than desired, but I have never been UNsuccessful.
Yeah, that's the amazing thing! Maybe we're just more persistent than others, but I always manage to make the reservations I want, even during the busy seasons. Tables always seem to open up. I guess we're the lucky ones!

renecat
03-15-2011, 11:58 AM
Several years ago my DH and I were at the world. We had reservations for the Yachtman steak house. When evening rolled around my DH was ill. I called and canceled as soon as I knew we were not going to make it. This was beyound my control so I was happy they didn't have a policy that charged you for a missed reservation.