PDA

View Full Version : Insect Repellent

Disney4us2
03-10-2011, 07:15 PM
I was wondering if anyone has used the OFF insct repellent that clips on to your belt? I don't know that I want to use a spray on repellent, to smelly. I don't want any mosquito bites.

Will the mosquitos be bad in April?

faline
03-10-2011, 07:38 PM
I can't remember when I've used insect repellant at Disney. I never even bring it with me and I've only rarely been bit while at Disney which is sort of amazing to me as I seem to have one of those metabolisms that leads every mosquito within a five mile radius directly to me!

I have used the OFF clips at home but haven't felt the need to wear them in Disney.

megustamex
03-10-2011, 07:58 PM
You don't need insect repellant at Disney. In all the years I've been going there, I've never had one bite. Whatever they do to keep mosquitos at bay (and I've heard it's an incredibly elaborate system), it works.
Have fun!

Basket Mommy
03-10-2011, 09:24 PM
I have been at all times of the year and I've never, ever gotten a mosquito bite. My kids haven't, either.

akaDisneyDreamer
03-10-2011, 09:31 PM
I've been in May, July and August and have never seen or been bitten by mosquitos! It's wonderful! :mickey:

AmandaChan
03-10-2011, 09:45 PM
We always go in May and I honestly can't remember ever getting a bug bite/or one that really bothered me. I didn't include insect repellent on our massive checklist!

I DO however remember bugs being BAD when I was in a park in Orlando sometime in August years ago. That is a whole other story.

Pop Centurion
03-10-2011, 11:23 PM
Can't say I've ever been bit by any mosquito's either while in the parks or resort.

KylesMom
03-11-2011, 12:01 AM
Wow, I think we have a very unfortunate family. We typically go in June, July and/or August. There are a few places that the mosquitoes LOVE to munch on us:

The beach at Ft. Wilderness for the EWP- no less than 15 bites between the three of us; The docks of both WL and CR; and of all places, The Jungle Cruise at night!

Last year I began bringing the Off! wipes with us just in case - suntan lotion stings when it's coated over raw mosquito bites! :( I'm sorry, though, that I have no previous experience when it comes to the belt clip-on.

Disney4us2
03-11-2011, 01:33 AM
Our first trip to WDW was in July. I had a bite the size of a quarter. Just trying to prevent an itchy inconvenience. When we were there in December, no bites. I was wearing too many layers;)

DizneyRox
03-11-2011, 04:34 AM
We used to go every year in July and never had problems until about 2 years ago. Insect repellent in one of the first things to pack now. Something definitely changed in how they are treating for bugs. Two years ago, it seemed like almost as soon as I stopped moving there were things crawling on my feet/legs.

Make sure you bring something. Better safe than sorry... BTW - I've heard those belt clips don't work. Never tried them, just going by what I've heard others say (mostly campers).

Scar
03-11-2011, 10:21 AM
One prevention method I've seen is workers going around the banks of the lakes in a boat and scooping up larvae with a net.

ryca1dreams
03-11-2011, 01:46 PM
I can't remember when I've used insect repellant at Disney. I never even bring it with me and I've only rarely been bit while at Disney which is sort of amazing to me as I seem to have one of those metabolisms that leads every mosquito within a five mile radius directly to me!

My wife is the same way. We've never had problems except maybe 1-2 skeeters at a resort, especially near the water (lake, not pool). We still travel with it just in case, but don't take it into the parks.

Luv4WDW
03-11-2011, 02:49 PM
I didn't know it's possible for somebody to get a single mosquito bite when I have none. I am definitely one of those people that are COVERED in mosquitos when nobody else has a single bite. SO irritating! :thedolls: The last time we were there was June of 2009 and neither one of us got a single bite. We never even SAW any mosquitos at the parks or at our resort (the GF). :cloud9: In response to your question about the belts, I've never tried them specifically, but everything other than actual spray seems to do no good for me. I would also think they'd get in the way a little.

mouse2508
03-12-2011, 09:49 PM
May of '10 and no issues; I too am so sweet mosquitos cannot stay away but never had a problem during our stay (Poly, WL, CBR all lake properties and no bites) :D

Have fun :mickey:

IloveDisney71
03-12-2011, 10:00 PM
In all of my trips to WDW me and my family have never been biten until this past July. For some reason my oldest DD became a very tasty treat to the mosquitos but they didn't bother the rest of us at all. We were standing on the bridge between Adventureland and Main Street and she became a nighttime snack. :(

BrerGnat
03-12-2011, 10:19 PM
The last time I can recall being bitten by mosquitoes at WDW was back around 1998. I remember vividly, because it was June, and we stayed at the Contemporary in the Garden Wing. There were SO many bugs around there, probably because of the lake.

In recent years, though, the pest control has become much better.

I've never had to use insect repellent in the parks. I'd honestly not bother with it, or maybe try one of the combo repellent/sunscreen products out there.

kemps@wdw
03-13-2011, 12:10 AM
You know...it's weird, but I don't remember in all our times @ WDW, that we ever had mosquito problems either! :scratch:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
03-13-2011, 06:35 PM
I've never used the clip on device either, but I don't really remember getting bitten at WDW.

Now at home is a different matter. I have mosquitos so big they could carry a small child away. And I don't live in the woods or near water either!

TinkerbellT421
03-13-2011, 10:33 PM
I have not used the OFF insect repellant, at all, hate the stuff. I prefer to use Avons version of a bug spray. Works perfectly doesnt have a chemically smell to it, its very pleasant. Its a version of their "Skin so soft" brand. Or I use the Aveno brand, I hate smelly things, especially the ones that have a chemically smell disguised by perfumy is the worst. But I have found that those two have been perfect for me! But I have heard that the belt stuff doesnt work at all from a friend that tried it. But again, never tried it personally. Good luck!