PDA

View Full Version : Where Would You Stay?

PrettyMinnie
03-10-2011, 04:26 PM
Hi everyone! I am in the beginning stages of planning a trip for a friend and I who has only been to WDW as a child and never stayed on property. We are looking to stay at a moderately priced resort, but I'm not really sure which one. I want to pick a resort that she will enjoy staying at.

We are planning on going to all the parks and location does not matter so much. She LOVES to swim and lay by the pool so I am thinking that may play a big factor. I don't think we will be eating TS meals at the resort very much, so again, we don't have to worry about that as much. We are thinking early May of 2012.

So, with all of that said, which resort would you pick for overall atmosphere and to "impress" a newbie?

PETE FROM NYC
03-10-2011, 04:44 PM
If you go someplace a bit on the fancy side, your friend will expect that all the time. My advice would be to start off at a value resort. They all have nice pool areas, and the theming is very nice. The values also do not have TS restaurants so that would not be a problem.
Order the vacation planning DVD so you can show her what each place looks like.

Melanie
03-10-2011, 04:50 PM
For what you describe, I'd go for Coronado Springs. One of the best pools on property...moderate or otherwise. And the resort is gorgeous.

greengeen
03-10-2011, 05:20 PM
Definitely CSR!! It beats the other moderates hands down and has the best "adult" pool experiences. Lovely, renovated rooms surrounding a beautiful lake. Be sure to look for a discount - not available yet for 2012 but there will be one! This year we got a room for $135 a night for March, not too bad...

I would not even consider the values, just my opinion.

disneymom15
03-10-2011, 05:27 PM
The new Art of Animation (value resort) is scheduled to open summer of 2012. Not sure if "May" is considered summer. Otherwise, POFQ is very nice, as is Animal Kingdom lodge.

jlmct52
03-10-2011, 05:36 PM
My apologies.....because you are going to get soooo many different opinions!

My choice is Port Orleans Riverside in the Magnolia section (the southern mansion buildings). The entire resort is beautiful and well-themed and the pools are luxurious and relaxing.

sassy2000
03-10-2011, 06:42 PM
I would definitely pick Coronado Springs. The pool is fantastic and the resort is beautiful!

PrettyMinnie
03-10-2011, 06:43 PM
Thanks for everyone's replies and opinions so far! I am okay with vastly different opinions because I find that more often than not I don't try to see things from a point of view other than my own. :blush:

I have looked in to CSR, and really like the Casitas section. Looks very nice. But have not ruled out the other moderates, and am still open to other price categories. Good thing I have time. :D

faline
03-10-2011, 06:45 PM
For moderates, my favorite is Coronado Springs Resort. My second favorite would be Port Orleans French Quarter. You've already received a lot of support for Coronado. What I like about French Quarter is its quaintness as well as the availability of the boat to Downtown Disney.

DryCreek
03-10-2011, 08:19 PM
My apologies.....because you are going to get soooo many different opinions!

My choice is Port Orleans Riverside in the Magnolia section (the southern mansion buildings). The entire resort is beautiful and well-themed and the pools are luxurious and relaxing.

Same as above, except we prefer the more picturesque Alligator Bayou section. The themed pool there is really nice too.

Truth be told, you really can't go wrong at any on-site resort. Some are just a bit more fancier than others, but you do plan to spend a majority of your time at the parks, right?

crazygoalie39
03-10-2011, 09:02 PM
First choice would be CSR. Second would be POR. :mickey:

PrettyMinnie
03-11-2011, 12:43 AM
Truth be told, you really can't go wrong at any on-site resort. Some are just a bit more fancier than others, but you do plan to spend a majority of your time at the parks, right?

I have always felt the same way. Staying on property just adds to the magic of any Disney vacation. Yes, we plan on spending the majority of our time in the parks, maybe some late start days when we explore the resort or breaks in the afternoon for the pool to rest.

Crow
03-11-2011, 02:42 PM
my favs are Coronado & Port Orleans French Quarter. this time im staying at Carribean.
CSR is nice but does have some conventions. i liked the food court also. POFQ is smaller but its right next to POR so u have both to enjoy

Fastpasssteve
03-12-2011, 01:44 AM
Here's a breakdown about why I like both Coronado Springs and Port Orleans French Quarter:

Coronado Springs:
1. Coronado Springs has the coolest large pool area complete with Aztec Pyramid. Cool for pictures even if you never set foot in the pool.

2. All the beds at CS are queen size. That is not true of other moderate resorts.

3. Beautiful landscaping with lots of room. If you are with healthy people who enjoy walking, Coronado Springs would be great for you.

French Quarter:
1. French Quarter is fairly compact. Easy to navigate and walk if you are tired out from the parks.

2. French Quarter has a lot of southern charm. I love walking around the place.

3. You can take a boat to Downtown Disney.

4. Beignets in the food court!!!

buzz2001
03-12-2011, 07:07 AM
For what you describe, I'd go for Coronado Springs. One of the best pools on property...moderate or otherwise. And the resort is gorgeous. Another vote for CSR!

ibelieveindisneymagic
03-12-2011, 08:05 AM
I'm going to vote for POFQ (of course - my favourite).

The resort is small, which is great when you're back from the parks and tired, you don't have to walk forever to get to the pool, etc.

POFQ is undergoing a renovation of the rooms right now, so by May 2012, they will all be completed, so nice and new, and all of the rooms are getting queen size-beds.

Another perk is the ability use the pool at POR, so it is like getting two themed pools for one! We make at least one trip to POR during our stay, just for the pool.

I also agree that the boat to DTD is a great plus!

No matter what you choose, have a great trip!

Mickey'sGirl
03-12-2011, 08:34 AM
2. All the beds at CS are queen size. That is not true of other moderate resorts.

Actually, as Heather has said, POFQ will be completely fitted with Queen beds very shortly! We were going to stay at the Coronado Springs before we heard about POFQ. Right now POFQ is a little less expensive (especially with the discounts), so that swayed us!

Both resorts are lovely. CSR is more beautiful and has a far better pool in my opinion, but you can not beat the ease of getting around POFQ, and the proximity of everything to everything else. :thumbsup:

PrettyMinnie
03-12-2011, 11:11 AM
Thank you so much for everyone's responses! They were all very insightful and helpful. Right now I am leaning towards CSR. I think we would really enjoy walking around the resort. We don't mind the size at all! A close second is POFQ. I still have some time to debate the pros and cons of both, thankfully. :thumbsup:

buzz2001
03-12-2011, 04:47 PM
Its an awesome place to walk around at night when it is all lit up. Have a great trip!

RavsRuleDisney!
03-13-2011, 08:00 PM
obviously the Intercot feedback is the place to start!! :silly: keep researching and from your post it sounds like it will be a win-win no matter where you choose. we just stayed por-riverside which was really nice. cs could be a hidden gem - we have "almost" stayed there twice but have been on-site and it's a really cool themed resort. Good luck!!

mom2morgan
03-13-2011, 11:10 PM
We wanted to try CBR next time, but after reading all these responses I'm wondering if WE should look at CSR instead!

Mitzie
03-14-2011, 12:14 PM
We have stayed at CSR, POR and CRB..POR is my personal favorite with CSR my next..with what you described though, I also think CSR would be a good fit...it just has a more adult, upscale feel. We were in the Castitas(sp?) section right next to the quiet pool. As two adults, you might like that pool over the large themed pool across the lake. We liked both food courts at POR and CSR, though the PepperMarket is alittle different in how it functions than the other food courts on property. There is also Rix lounge that may appeal to two adults.

PrettyMinnie
03-14-2011, 02:46 PM
If we do end up staying at CSR, I would request the Casitas section after looking at pictures on another site. From the pictures I could tell it was beautiful!!

nunners
03-15-2011, 03:44 PM
Once stayed at CS in the Casita's section, Building 5 and loved the location. It provides quick and easy access to the main pool, quiet pool, and main building amenities. It's also near the first bus stop for the resort, so you are first on and first off. CS has a dedicated bus service, meaning you don't share with another resort.

PrettyMinnie
03-15-2011, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the info! It will be very helpful in requesting what building to stay in. The pools will be well used so proximity is somewhat important. I love the upscale feel of the Casitas section!! What kind of view did you have?

nunners
03-15-2011, 10:43 PM
Our view from casitas bldg 5 was of a small courtyard with fountains. Very nice!

magicalmom
03-16-2011, 09:21 PM
Either POR or POFQ - two feature pools plus multiple restaurants - boat or walk between - the boat also takes you to DTD. Bus transportion has worked well for us. Don't miss Bob the Piano Man at POR!

KatrinaJ91
03-18-2011, 09:13 PM
Our absolute favorite of the mods is Port Orleans Riverside! We love everything about it. The grounds are beautiful, the rooms are great, the food court is one of the best and you can take the boat to Downtown! The pools were really nice. We stay in the Alligator Bayou section and love how close we can be to everything. The last time we stayed there, we were in Bldg 15 and could get everywhere in no time and the grounds are so pretty to walk thru. We stayed at CSR in December to try something new and, quite honestly, were a little disappointed. It was nice, but it didn't come close to POR for us. We even took a bus from Downtown one day over to POR to eat in the food court! We will prob not stay elsewhere from now on....POR is our home!

finaldynasty
06-04-2011, 09:42 PM
For what you describe, I'd go for Coronado Springs. One of the best pools on property...moderate or otherwise. And the resort is gorgeous.

I agree. Great pool, wonderful play area and solid price. Enjoy!!

darthmacho
06-05-2011, 09:50 AM
Here's the good news! You've decided to stay at a moderate resort, so among the choices, you can't really, make a bad one!

It seems you're leaning towards CSR, which I wholeheartedly agree with. The theming, decor, and atmosphere are wonderful there. We stayed in a Cabana room with a water view, and we had a spectacular view of the lake and main building, which was lovely at night. The Casitas are another good option, because your view might even be better if you get a higher floor. Remember about the view that you won't have a private balcony or anything, but a view from the window or front door. As for the main pool, it is spectacular, and the quiet pools are nice too.

You say you won't be eating at TS, but I highly recommend trying Maya Grill once. It's a nice place to eat, if pricey.

If you decide to change your mind, POR is now my favorite moderate, and I've visited POFQ and CBR, and I think any of these would suit your needs too. I'd say your first choice, CSR, has the best "wow" factor you're looking for. Good luck! :mickey:

timberho
06-05-2011, 10:04 AM
If price isn't an issue, the beach/yacht club hands down if a good pool is what you're after.

Storm a long bay is head and shoulders above any resort pool on property and the location is one of my favorites.

If price is an issue and you are set on a moderate I would yield to what all the PP's have said. One thing I will throw out there is the swan/dolphin are onsite properties which can be booked at moderate prices. They have deluxe amenities and a great pool. Staying there you get access to the busses/boats and EMH. You cannot get the DDP or Magical Express ride from the airport though.

ledudes
06-05-2011, 10:07 AM
If you are going moderate, I would pick POFQ or POR for sure. Great atmosphere, nice boat ride to DD.

disney obsessed
06-05-2011, 11:50 AM
I have stayed at all of them EXCEPT CSR. The themeing has never appealed to me. That is how I chose my resort. You get a vacation inside of a vacation by chosing a resort with themeing you love. My all time favorite is AKL. POFQ is my favorite moderate. It is small enough to be manageable but right next to Riverside. Two very diferant experiences in one.:cool:

LudwigVonDrake
06-05-2011, 05:41 PM
POFQ would be my choice. Small, compact, boat to DTD and beignets :tasty:

slottedpig
06-05-2011, 06:33 PM
Don't discount the Dolphin. With a AAA rate or a special you could get a rate not that far above the mods. The pool is very nice and the location is far superior to any of the moderates.