PDA

View Full Version : wifi in resorts

motherof4
03-10-2011, 09:43 AM
I was wondering if all star music has any wifi in their rooms.

faline
03-10-2011, 09:45 AM
They do not. There will be a cable available in the room and you can connect via the cable but it will cost you. I believe the cost is $9.95 per 24 hour period of use.

Disney_pups2
03-10-2011, 03:14 PM
Yeah... best off bringing a 3G or 4G smart phone. :thumbsup:

ShinynewJB
03-10-2011, 03:27 PM
It never bothered me before, because I only recently got an iPod, but it really suprises me that Disney don't have Wi-Fi in their resorts. Not even the deluxe resorts.

Get with the times, man!!

PopPhan
03-10-2011, 03:34 PM
It never bothered me before, because I only recently got an iPod, but it really suprises me that Disney don't have Wi-Fi in their resorts. Not even the deluxe resorts.

Get with the times, man!!

Not as long as they can make you pay for connectivity....

ShinynewJB
03-10-2011, 05:00 PM
Not as long as they can make you pay for connectivity....

True, but you can still make people pay for connectivity through Wi-Fi. They can set it up so you can either pay at reception to get a "password" that'll last you a certain period of time (say 24 hours), or they could do it so that when you try and connect it prompts you to pay for access with your credit/debit card.

DizneyRox
03-10-2011, 07:48 PM
WiFi exists all over, but much of it's private. Really, only the deluxe public common areas are "wired" for guest accessible WiFi.

I have to assume they don't want to make the investment in the infrastructure to support the number of wireless devices that might connect in the mods and values. The deluded get more per night and probably can absorb those costs.

DryCreek
03-10-2011, 07:59 PM
If you plan to travel a bit, here is a cost effective solution:
<snip>
The plans are "pay-as-you-go", so you only need to buy airtime (WiFi mb) as required. A great solution for those other trips too!

Disclaimer - I do not own stock, sell, or even have service with Virgin Mobile (TM). It just looked like a simple solution for this problem - and I know a lot of other people without wired phone/cable service in their homes and this is their choice for home connectivity (light users).

lylone
03-11-2011, 09:25 AM
I just take my cell phone and tether my netbook to it. Works like a dream and it is only $10 a month for this through my cell carrier.

TheRustyScupper
03-11-2011, 11:40 AM
How to WiFi at Disney (other than a phone card):

1) Conference resorts have WiFi in public or conference areas.
2) In rooms or on other resorts, there is no WiFi.
3) To get you own WiFi, purchase a portable router such as
. . . Cradle Point - $60
. . . Zonet - $29
. . . Aluratek - $63
. . . Cnet Cmr - $60
4) How to
. . . set it up at home
. . . set the security to router and your laptop
. . . take to Disney
. . . plug into cable Internet
. . . turn on router and laptop for WiFi
5) Based upon router strength, you can use the laptop
. . . in the room
. . . at the pool
. . . in the lobby
. . . in the restaurant or food court

jnfr2424
03-17-2011, 09:34 AM
If you stay at the Swan or Dolphin wifi is included in the $10 resort fee
between that and the bottled water sold me!

MNNHFLTX
03-17-2011, 10:10 AM
I do think it's lame that you have to pay and connect via the cable. Hospitals have been offering free wifi for years, why wouldn't Disney be able to? For goodness sake, they should just build it into the cost of the room for a few extra dollars. :shake:

Polynesian Dweller
03-17-2011, 11:26 AM
I do think it's lame that you have to pay and connect via the cable. Hospitals have been offering free wifi for years, why wouldn't Disney be able to? For goodness sake, they should just build it into the cost of the room for a few extra dollars. :shake:

Because Disney isn't the Internet provider. That is outsourced to a third party under contract. It is that third party that would have to be willing to do this and that would likely need changes to the requirements section of the contract.

MNNHFLTX
03-17-2011, 12:40 PM
Because Disney isn't the Internet provider. That is outsourced to a third party under contract. It is that third party that would have to be willing to do this and that would likely need changes to the requirements section of the contract.I'm pretty sure that's the arrangement with the hospitals I've mentioned, at least the one I work at now. Still not really understanding why they couldn't work something out.

DizneyRox
03-17-2011, 04:24 PM
If it's included, then Disney needs to take the heat when it's not on, etc. This way, when it doesn't work, it's someone elses problem.

Also, there are many people who don't want/need the Internet when on vacation. Having them pay for it, when it's included in the room fee isn't fair to them.

I'm fine the way it is. Sometimes I get it, sometimes I don't. I think about how badly I need it and if I'll use it enough to warrant the $10 charge... But at least it's my decision to make.

Polynesian Dweller
03-17-2011, 05:00 PM
I'm pretty sure that's the arrangement with the hospitals I've mentioned, at least the one I work at now. Still not really understanding why they couldn't work something out.

I was the IT manager at a hospital here withe a greater than 200 acre campus and 30+ buildings. Re-doing contracts with third parties to keep up with technology was always a major issue and took several negotiation sessions followed by lawyers for both parties having to checkout the contracts and then rewriting parts sometimes leading to new negotiations. It can get really complicated around liability and guaranteed service levels.

Given the vast size of WDW and the varied uses including people taking university courses and/or doing business while at Disney, I could see these as being quite complex issues. Who has what level of liability in each case if a business contract is lost or a student fails a course? It's all got to be thought about by the lawyers and the correct language written.

MNNHFLTX
03-21-2011, 04:53 PM
I was the IT manager at a hospital here withe a greater than 200 acre campus and 30+ buildings. Re-doing contracts with third parties to keep up with technology was always a major issue and took several negotiation sessions followed by lawyers for both parties having to checkout the contracts and then rewriting parts sometimes leading to new negotiations. It can get really complicated around liability and guaranteed service levels.

Given the vast size of WDW and the varied uses including people taking university courses and/or doing business while at Disney, I could see these as being quite complex issues. Who has what level of liability in each case if a business contract is lost or a student fails a course? It's all got to be thought about by the lawyers and the correct language written.
But wouldn't that be the case at any of the large resorts elsewhere in the world (meaning non-Disney World)? In my experience, you usually have to accept certain terms of service and release of liability to use the internet anyway. So granted at WDW, this might require extended negotiations and hashing out, but it sounds do-able.

MNNHFLTX
03-21-2011, 04:58 PM
Also, there are many people who don't want/need the Internet when on vacation. Having them pay for it, when it's included in the room fee isn't fair to them.
Interesting that you mention that.... At the Disneyland hotels they have charged a mandatory "resort fee" for years ($12.95 a day, I believe) that included use of the internet. So you ended up paying for it whether you used it or not. They only recently changed their policy so that these services are now included in the nightly room rate.

DizneyRox
03-21-2011, 05:11 PM
Mandatory resort fees are another reason I don't stay at Swan/Dolphin, etc. Never been to DL and don't have much desire frankly.

These fees are really out of control. Baggage fees, resort fees, holiday surcharges, mandatory gratuity. Everyone has their hand out it seems these days.

That's it, I'm putting a tip jar outside my office and see where that goes! I could use a raise too!