PDA

View Full Version : Port Orleans - which section is your favorite?

abillion13
03-10-2011, 01:21 AM
Hi all -

I like to stay at a different themed resort for each visit. I love the deluxe resorts' themes but they have become way too expensive though I think it is a major plus to stay on-site (easy and quick transportation around WDW - and - contact with the "real world" is minimal which keeps the magic going all vacation long). I looked into the value resorts but the themes are too pop culture for me. This leaves the moderate resorts and the one that looked the most interesting and enjoyable was Port Orleans.

So, my question is - who has stayed there and which section was your favorite: Riverside Bayou, Riverside Mansions, or French Quarter? They all look wonderful! I would love to read your pros and cons of each to help me decide.

Also - has anyone booked and stayed there in a "standard view" room? They are the least expensive but does this mean you end up looking at laundry carts or coke machines or have to walk an hour to get to the bus?

Thanks! :mickey:

sassafras
03-10-2011, 07:33 AM
We've stayed numerous times at PO. We prefer Alligator Bayou over the Mansions since it is more rustic. That said they are both very nice. The last time we stayed there, we requested the Bayou and were placed in the Mansions, the very last one before entering the French Quarter. We found out very quickly it was quicker to get to the FQ's food court and bus stop than to walk to the mill at POR. We'd asked to be moved to no avail.
We've stayed in both water views and standard views. I prefer the water view even if it means looking at a swimming pool. The standard view isn't too bad even though we've ended up looking at a parking lot a couple of times. No coke machines. They're tucked away with the ice machines. Hope this helps!

llamaface
03-10-2011, 07:36 AM
Our family has stayed in the Bayou section a few times. I think it is absolutely beautiful, lush and green. I would get up early in the AM just to take a walk around the grounds. We have always had a standard view room and been happy with it. I'm pretty sure that on more than one occasion we were in building 38, which I loved. It was not close to the food court, but close to a bus stop. I'm one of those rare people that didn't want a building close to the Food Court because I enjoy the walk there :cloud9: FWIW, I have three kids, and they all felt the same way as well. They loved the wildlife around the resort.

JoF
03-10-2011, 08:33 AM
I stayed at POFQ with my family in 2009 and we liked it so much that we are going back this year. We like the fact that you are always within easy reach of the pool, food court and bus stop no matter which block you are staying in. This was particularly handy as my parents are 66 and 73 and it meant they didn't have to walk far after being in the parks.
We had a standard view room which was a side view of the car park and one of the garden courtyard areas and was fine.
I have never stayed at Riverside although we did venture over there - we did not like the feel of it as much as POFQ but thats just our personal preference.
Wherever you stay I am sure it will be great :thumbsup:

#1donaldfan
03-10-2011, 11:50 AM
There are no bad rooms or views, some are better than others....no view of dumpsters, laundry carts or the such !! We stay in Riverside AB section always, and love it .... it's so shaded, laid back, quiet.....seriously, it's a mod with the deluxe feel !! There is nothing better than spending a hot, busy, crowded day at a park and coming back to enjoy the shaded walkways meandering through our "home away from home" !! The food court is great, actually you can enjoy both Riverside's and the FQ's. Plus at Riverside you have Boatwrights TS eatery !! I would rather stay at Riverside than any other resort !! :cool:

ibelieveindisneymagic
03-10-2011, 12:59 PM
We stayed in the Bayou section of POR and loved it. It felt like we were all on our own, with tons of trees outside of our window, and we had a great time wandering the paths and seeing the lizards. But, if you don't get a preferred room, it can be quite a trek to the main building, if that matters to you. There are bus stops all around the resort, so you're never too far from one.

We've also stayed a bunch of times at POFQ, in both standard and water view rooms. Our first time, we had a room overlooking the garbage bins from the food court. But, believe it or not, Disney did such a good job of hiding them that we only noticed in the AM when the truck picked up the trash :) Once, our standard view was almost a water view (across from the laundry), and the other times we've had a pool view (which is what we requested).

Of all of them, I love our pool views at POFQ. You're close to everything, close to all of the action...it would be my first choice every time :)

abillion13
03-11-2011, 01:49 AM
Ah great - thanks kids! Lots of good info... Of course this makes it difficult to decide but what a fine dilemma to have!:mickey:

Anyone else have any thoughts? This Intercot community is so helpful. Nothing like responses from you seasoned fans:mickey:

darthmacho
03-11-2011, 02:49 PM
We stayed in POR Mansions just last summer, and we loved the building and location. That being said, I think next time I'd choose POR Bayou, not only to try something different, but also because the decor is more "rustic" and reminds me of me of my favorite resort the WL. I also liked the "city" feel of POFQ, but I think it would rank last on the list of three areas because POR has a better food court and I love Boatwrights. :mickey:

Tinkerbella16
03-11-2011, 02:52 PM
I have stayed at both Riverside and French Quarter and I would recommend POFQ to anyone!! I loved it there.. it was perfect. Its small in size so no matter where your room is you will be near everything. Its a lot quieter and peaceful than POR because of its size. I just loved the atmosphere there better and everything else! :mickey:

iloveokw
03-11-2011, 04:05 PM
We've stayed at the Bayou side and French Quarter. I would say I like FQ better. But don't miss Bob Jackson's show in the River Roost ar Riverside.

Mousemates
03-11-2011, 05:43 PM
we prefer the FQ over Riverside, but in Riverside we prefer the bayou over the mansions. Theming is the big reason for our preferences...but we enjoy the rather compact layout of the FQ too.

mom2morgan
03-11-2011, 07:06 PM
LOVE the mansions! The gorgeous landscaping and evening walk by the river makes me feel like Scarlet O'Hara! LOL - I'm not alone in that - one year I was on the boat to DTD ad there was a kid about 10 years old or so who must have been staying in the alligator bayou section - because when we went past the mansions he said "WOW! is that where the RICH people stay???" Totally my favourite - I thought I'd like the Bayou or French Quarter, but they both make me feel claustrophbic and hemmed in.

CanadianWDWFan
03-11-2011, 07:20 PM
We prefer POFQ, as others have mentioned, due to its size. You can walk anywhere at the resort within 5 minutes. I feel that there isn't a bad room in the resort. Building 5 is our choice.

We have only stayed at the Mansions at POR. We did like the feel of the Mansions and didn't care for the Bayou too much.

finaldynasty
03-11-2011, 09:31 PM
The Bayou is my favorite!

hubbyofadisneyholic
03-11-2011, 09:51 PM
We have stayed in the Mansions (both standard & water view) and have requested them for our trip in June.
Were only out in AB once and hated it. Did not like the "feel" of the rooms and the walk to the food court felt like a 20 mile hike.

My wife and I did POFQ on a long weekend last yr for our 35th anniversary and thought it was very nice. As others have said you are never more than a short walk from anywhere else there.

So...I would rank #1 - Mansions, #2 POFQ, very distant #3 AB.

Kaps
03-12-2011, 05:37 PM
Riverside bayou by far:number1:

thejens
03-13-2011, 01:50 AM
Like you, I like the deluxes, but decided to try a mod last time. Loved POFQ. Very nice and did not feel like a come down from deluxe at all. We visited POR and decided to try it next time. (not sure when that will be...:( !!!) I think you can't go wrong no matter what you choose. We had a standard room and it was near the pool. Very convenient. I don't mind walking and think I'd be happy anywhere in PO!

magicalmom
03-16-2011, 09:25 PM
We once had a standard view room which was parking lot and dumpsters. I'm OK with the cars, not so thrilled with the trash.