PDA

View Full Version : No More "Grad Nights"

TheRustyScupper
03-09-2011, 02:06 PM
Disney World pulls plug on Grad Nite
1:56 p.m. EST, March 9, 2011

This spring will see the last Grad Nite celebrations at Magic Kingdom, it was announced on the Disney Parks Blog on Wednesday.

Disney World says the increase in theme park attendance in the spring has made scheduling the after-hours, separate-ticket event for high school seniors, increasingly difficult. As an alternative, Disney will offer Florida school groups a special one-day, one-park ticket for $55 that's valid any time during the year.

Live performances have been a hallmark of the event, which dates back to the 1970s. Musical acts have included Britney Spears, Miami Sound Machine, Katy Perry, Oingo Boingo, Ne-Yo, New Kids on the Block, Paramore and Boys Like Girls. Set for the 2011 and final version of Grad Nite are Taio Cruz, 3OH!3 and Pauly D from "Jersey Shore."

KylesMom
03-09-2011, 02:25 PM
Perhaps what once was a cash cow for Disney with ticket sales & merchandising has run its course. Or the losses in recent years on this event were too great . . .

I am curious as to why they had moved Grad Nights to DHS, abruptly moved it back to MK, and then decided to nix the event entirely . . .

Ian
03-09-2011, 02:44 PM
My best guess is that the profit vs. headaches just wasn't worth it. From what I understand, the Cast HATES working Grad Nights and riding herd on all the crazed teens rampaging through the parks.

Maybe Disney's just had enough of the headaches.

Jared
03-09-2011, 03:04 PM
My best guess is that the profit vs. headaches just wasn't worth it. From what I understand, the Cast HATES working Grad Nights and riding herd on all the crazed teens rampaging through the parks.

Maybe Disney's just had enough of the headaches.
I agree, Ian. From what I understand, these things were epic disasters. My girlfriend grew up in Tampa, Fla., and her high school class attended a Magic Kingdom Grad Night. Her recollection is that it was a nightmare -- utter madness. A few kids ended up not graduating that year because they were caught with alcohol. She also said at least one entire school wasn't allowed to enter the park because of rules violations!

Seems like these were more trouble than they're worth.

BluewaterBrad
03-09-2011, 03:08 PM
What a shame. My senior class went to the 1985 "Grad Nite". Wonderful time!!! No problems at all, no booze, no dope, nothing. Just a lot of fun!!!:mickey:

JPL
03-09-2011, 03:11 PM
Disney World pulls plug on Grad Nite
1:56 p.m. EST, March 9, 2011

This spring will see the last Grad Nite celebrations at Magic Kingdom, it was announced on the Disney Parks Blog on Wednesday.

See I had already heard that this was the last year at the Magic Kingdom and that they were moving the event to DHS in 2012. Makes me wonder if they think that people would be less upset about missing out on time at DHS since it typically closes earlier than Magic Kingdom most nights. Not sure this is the end of Grad Nights in general but just at the MK.

slegrant
03-09-2011, 03:20 PM
Growing up in St. Petersburg Florida, I went to grad nite in 1989 and had a blast. Although I can imagine that the Cast members probably did dread those evenings:mickey:

missylee19
03-09-2011, 08:02 PM
My first trip to Disney World in 1996 was my senior year in high school. We had a blast at Grad Nite, I remember being so tired I took a little nap in a building along Main St that played short movie clips. After the cat nap I hit the rides again! I was hoping it would stick around for a few more years so my stepdaughter could experience it! Guess I'll just have to plan a trip to CA in 4 years...

Briansmom
03-09-2011, 09:15 PM
Such a shame to see this end... I certainly have many fond memories of the three Grad Nites I attended (1977, 78 and 79) but times have changed dramatically so it's very understandable.....

I am always taken back to a sweeter time when I hear songs by KC and the Sunshine Band or Kool and the Gang....they were the entertainment at my senior Grad Nite(78)! :cloud9:

(Wait....I can't possibly be that old!:blush:)

BellesRose
03-09-2011, 09:38 PM
I didn't know they had moved it to DHS and then back to the MK. Kind of like Night of Joy. I hope they keep that around, but I have a feeling they will do away with that next so they can "make more nights available for Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party."

WDWfanatic742
03-09-2011, 10:55 PM
Went in '08 and I was embarrassed to be apart of that age group. My brother will miss this next year, but I can definitely see why they chose to end it...

RBrooksC
03-10-2011, 08:37 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't because of bad behavior of the students. While I am positive a majority of the kids were "well behaved," the vocal minority would be enough to annoy the cast and management of the parks.

Just as an example, I was at Hershey Park one year when several church schools were there for a day like the "Grad Nights." The difference is, they were there with other park guests. Now, these students one would feel would be better behaved but I saw the same rudeness and self-centerness that ruin a day like this.

It is regrettable but it is most likely best for all involved.

KylesMom
03-10-2011, 08:51 AM
I didn't know they had moved it to DHS and then back to the MK. In 2009 they moved it over to DHS - and then in 2010 it was back at MK.

Not sure this is the end of Grad Nights in general but just at the MK. I don't know - they're offering Florida school groups a one-day one-park ticket for $55 good for any time of the year. Not sure they would do that if the tradition was going to continue at another park . . .

WDWfanatic742
03-10-2011, 09:07 AM
When I went, more than half of the kids were just out of control. I can't imagine working those nights.

Just one story I remember is we were waiting in line for the mansion and there was literally a mosh pit waiting in the queue between people cutting in line, pushing the people in front of them, and no CM's around to say anything even though I doubt it would have done anything.

Between being rude, throwing their trash anywhere and everywhere, and more than a few smoking cigarettes (and other things that aren't legal) wherever they wanted to. Trust me, I have stories that I can't tell on here...

TheDuckRocks
03-10-2011, 09:30 AM
I was in the group of graduating seniors who attended the first ever Grad Night held in DIsneyland.
History: Walt Disney introduced Grad Nite to Disneyland in 1961. Disney invited 8,000 students from 28 Los Angeles area high schools to Disneyland after hours as part of commencement celebrations.
It's sad to see Grad Night come to an end but in recent years the reports I've read from CMs have been pretty bad. I'm sure that at this point Disney has figured the dollar amount for repairs, extra security, liablity, etc. and income lost from regular park goers is far greater than the income this function generates.

eas423
03-10-2011, 09:51 AM
I was at the '99 Grad Night! Britney Spears was the headliner, and it was right after she had her "knee surgery aka implants she didn't want to admit to having". Sorry to see the event go, but can certainly understand why.

WLGirl
03-10-2011, 12:03 PM
I attended Grad Night last year with my daughter. We had a wonderful time! Most of the CM's that we encountered seemed to be having a good time as well. We rode alot of the rides and didn't have any problems with any of the other kids. We didn't observe any misbehavior(not that it wasnt there) or see any problems. Maybe we were just in our own little bubble. I am really sad to see this go as I was looking to go again with my younger daughter.

Gregandmel
03-10-2011, 01:48 PM
So.....I'm still unclear - is it the end of Grad Nights totally for EITHER MK or DHS - or JUST at Magic Kingdom? I know that Universal also offers Grad Night events as well. We were at Disney last April and hit Grad Night on both weekends. We didn't notice anything too bad while we were there.

PopPhan
03-10-2011, 01:51 PM
Grad Nite Update at Walt Disney World

posted on March 9th, 2011 by Thomas Smith, Social Media Director, Disney Parks

Disney Grad Nite

For many years, we’ve been thrilled to host high school graduation celebrations at Walt Disney World known as Grad Nite. And I know many Disney Parks Blog readers (like myself) have been part of the tradition – it’s become a rite of passage for seniors. That’s why today we wanted to share an important update; we will no longer be hosting Disney Grad Nite at the Walt Disney World Resort after this year’s event. With more leisure guests visiting in the springtime, it’s become challenging to schedule special events during April and May. Instead, graduates will have new opportunities to celebrate with us in the parks at more flexible and convenient times.

We’ve recently seen more and more students visiting Walt Disney World as part of a broader senior class trip. And activities such as youth sports competitions, performing arts programs, including performances, workshops and festivals, and educational programs now give teens chances to experience Walt Disney World virtually any time of the year. Through special pricing, we’ll be offering students the flexibility to visit and celebrate their achievements here at the parks when they want to. In Florida, school groups can continue the tradition with a special one-day, one-park ticket for $55 valid anytime of the year. Also, Disney Youth Programs can arrange customized experiences.

Disney Grad Nite 2011 at Walt Disney World (and Disneyland Resort) will be held as planned during the dates Tim shared with you last month. And Grad Nite at Disneyland Resort will continue as normal – there are no plans to change the existing offering at the resort. Please stay tuned to the Blog for the most up-to-date information.

From the Disney Blogsite

Seems to me this means that Grad Nite(s) will no longer be held anywhere at Walt Disney World.

JPL
03-10-2011, 02:11 PM
I knew this year was the last at the Magic Kingdom and was told it was going to move back to the Studios before the article came out. After reading what Rusty posted I just assumed this is what was happening. :oops: I guess they changed their minds and decided to cancel them altogether.

PrettyMinnie
03-10-2011, 07:01 PM
I remember being embarrassed on that trip with my class. So many of my classmates were out of control, rude and extremely obnoxious. My friends and I did have a fantastic time though.

Tinkerbella16
03-11-2011, 02:36 PM
That makes me a little mad because my class in 2004 didn't even have a "Grad Night" when we were in WDW for our senior trip.

I heard the event is a lot of fun.. bummed I missed out. Maybe because we had almost 800 students in my class!!

zcrsdad
03-12-2011, 05:07 AM
I am curious as to why they had moved Grad Nights to DHS, abruptly moved it back to MK, and then decided to nix the event entirely . . .

They moved it because SM was under renovation.

I am so upset to see this go. Every year we take 250 seniors to Disney for this event. Every school in my district does (all 8) and we spend a lot of money to do so. I guess it just wasn't enough for Disney.:(

SandmanGStefani24
03-16-2011, 12:54 PM
They moved it because SM was under renovation.

I am so upset to see this go. Every year we take 250 seniors to Disney for this event. Every school in my district does (all 8) and we spend a lot of money to do so. I guess it just wasn't enough for Disney.:(

Reading the previous posts it should be obvious that it had little if anything to do with money.

Even at our worst, we as teens didn't cause the disruptions that I read about at the parks. We might have been a little rough around the edges but we still didn't cause problems with other guests, do anything illegal or anything of the sort. Times however are not the same and WDW has to do what it can to protect the park and the other guests. I think this is a great move.

Granny Jill A
03-17-2011, 02:21 PM
Even at our worst, we as teens didn't cause the disruptions that I read about at the parks. We might have been a little rough around the edges but we still didn't cause problems with other guests, do anything illegal or anything of the sort. Times however are not the same and WDW has to do what it can to protect the park and the other guests. I think this is a great move.

Times have indeed changed. I'm no prude and I can certainly understand youthful high spirits, but the attitude is "anything goes". There is no shame in bad behavior, and 30 seconds on YouTube is the goal.

I'm glad that Disney isn't allowing mere money to dictate the kind of experience most guests will have at WDW.