PDA

View Full Version : Bed Bugs

cardnl1b
03-08-2011, 09:35 PM
Ok, I have hate to ask...but, has anyone heard how the bed bugs situation is in the Orlando area?

jonahbear2006
03-09-2011, 12:34 AM
We have stayed at POR, BC, WL, and SS since this has been up for debate and We have had NO bed bugs. All you have to do is turn off the lights, lift the mattress up and shine a flashlight under there. If you see bedbugs, ask for a new room right away before your luggage enters the room. You will be fine. I worried about it irrationally, at one point in time, and I have had my mind at peace about it. No worries.

princessgirls
03-09-2011, 09:44 AM
I recommend EVERYONE checking anywhere you stay.

Better safe than sorry!

Julie:mickey:

mouseketeer mom
03-09-2011, 09:55 AM
We have stayed at POR, BC, WL, and SS since this has been up for debate and We have had NO bed bugs. All you have to do is turn off the lights, lift the mattress up and shine a flashlight under there. If you see bedbugs, ask for a new room right away before your luggage enters the room. You will be fine. I worried about it irrationally, at one point in time, and I have had my mind at peace about it. No worries.

I didn't know that, about shutting the lights first. I have been checking by walking in the room and lifting the mattress looking for bugs or droppings, but I haven't shut the lights first.

forever a child
03-09-2011, 10:43 AM
I didn't know that, about shutting the lights first. I have been checking by walking in the room and lifting the mattress looking for bugs or droppings, but I haven't shut the lights first.

I been checking with the lights on too! LOL

By the way, my friend who is a regular WDW visitor and Disney lover too said she and her family did see bed bugs on one of their visits last year. For the life of me...I can not remember which resort it was though! I'll have to ask her again. Either way....(I think it was a value) they told the resort and were promptly moved to a new location...no questions asked. They said their second room was fine. So yes, I think it is worth checking no matter where it is you are staying. I always forget though when we are going out of town to swim meets! We are always so tired by the time we get to the resort that I forget to look! Got stop doing that!:blush:

Jillirose
03-09-2011, 06:23 PM
Just got back, and no bed bugs :mickey: In ten years/ten trips, we have never experienced that, thankfully!

luvdiznee
03-09-2011, 08:02 PM
:bug:Packing flashlight :shake:

disneydeb
03-09-2011, 08:37 PM
Packing flashlight in PURSE!!

Poohshoneypot
03-09-2011, 10:17 PM
The best kind of flash light to use is a blue illumination flash light, per my better half. He is an Orkin Tech.

The thought of bed bugs freaks me out. We are going in Oct....and he'll be inspecting the room, like always.

mom2morgan
03-10-2011, 12:06 AM
The best kind of flash light to use is a blue illumination flash light, per my better half. He is an Orkin Tech.

The thought of bed bugs freaks me out. We are going in Oct....and he'll be inspecting the room, like always.
LOL - can I borrow your husband for my next trip ;-)

PetefromRI
03-12-2011, 09:14 AM
We stayed at ASMu this January and we saw some maintenance guys debugging a room.It was one of the freeze units so it was kind of obvious what they were doing.At least Disney is on top of this and they are getting rid of them the correct way.

Kaps
03-12-2011, 05:36 PM
stayed at POR bayoui at least 6 times never saw a bug but I do always check before the luggage gets there.

Fastpasssteve
03-12-2011, 09:24 PM
I have stayed at Saratoga Springs, Caribbean Beach, and Animal Kingdom Lodge. I've never had a problem at any of those resorts.

I am confident in Disney's efforts to keep the situation under control.

That being said, I would definitely speak up if I ran into a problem. I would be moved to another room at once.

DisneyorBust
03-13-2011, 09:44 AM
to Poohshoneypot; could you ask your Husband to let us what exactly how we should look and what exactly are we looking for?
I don't want to bring any uninvited guest home with us! :D

Poohshoneypot
03-13-2011, 09:52 AM
He says "look for little tiny drops of blood"...eww. This is coming from previous bites. Also, if you check the seams of the beds, lifting the seams up and down. They are little white things that show up best with an ultra-violet light....that will make them dark blue and they should be moving. Also check the corners where wall meets ceiling and floors.

RavsRuleDisney!
03-13-2011, 08:30 PM
what a lovely post! :jaw: kidding of course. never thought to even check on our trip last nov. but will probably be checking next time down. obviously something disney would have high on their priority list of daily "to-do's"....

faline
03-13-2011, 08:34 PM
I now check every time I stay in a hotel anywhere! It's becoming more and more of an issue in the United States.

And, once infested, getting rid of them can be very expensive and quite a nightmare!

Goofster
03-14-2011, 10:07 AM
I'm going to the doctor today to find out, but I just got back from a 1 night stay at Riverside and 5 nights at BWV. What I thought was an allergic reaction on my chest, appears to be bed bug bites. Since it is limited to one area, I'm thinking it may have been at Riverside. Is this something Disney would want me to report? Will they actually act on the information?

I always check hotel beds, but I didn't bother with it on this trip. Figures...:blush:

Goofster
03-14-2011, 03:22 PM
Nevermind...went to the doctor and I have shingles. :ill: I kind of wish it were bedbugs after all.

faline
03-14-2011, 06:21 PM
Nevermind...went to the doctor and I have shingles. :ill: I kind of wish it were bedbugs after all.

I'm sorry! I understand shingles can be quite painful!

ibelieveindisneymagic
03-14-2011, 08:18 PM

I am so sorry, I almost wish it was bedbugs for you too! Take care and start feeling better soon!

jonahbear2006
03-14-2011, 11:05 PM
sorry to hear about that. Shingles is no fun This is one reason why we would rather camp than stay at a value. no reason to even check. It is all our own bedding. Our girls came back with head lice and I first thought it was their cousins, then my sister insisted that her children didnt have it, so I walked around thinking for a whole week that we mustve gotten it from visiting characters...what a HORRIBLE thing to do to us, being disney nuts! Come to find out, my sister just lied to me to save face. Ugh! Now I convinced myself to be creeped about about character visitations even though there ultimately was no issue. :paranoid: and btw this bug ....when you guys post this, really creeps me out. lol. :bug:

mouseketeer mom
03-15-2011, 06:14 AM
Bed bugs are white? I thought they were black. I've always been checking the seams of the mattresses for black moving bugs. Are the bed bugs visible to the naked eye without an ultraviolet light? I want to be sure I'm actually checking correctly! Trip is 38 days away!

Mousemates
03-15-2011, 10:49 AM
:paranoid: and btw this bug ....when you guys post this, really creeps me out. lol. :bug:

:ditto:

Mousemates
03-15-2011, 10:53 AM
I now check every time I stay in a hotel anywhere! It's becoming more and more of an issue in the United States.

And, once infested, getting rid of them can be very expensive and quite a nightmare!

MississippiDisneyFreak
03-15-2011, 11:18 AM
Sorry you have the shingles my mom had them once and said it was quite painful...however, I am glad you didn't get them from DW

DisneyTopper
03-15-2011, 12:08 PM
Although gross, its a necessary post about how to protect yourself. I just would hope that Disney (and every other hotel for that matter) would check mattresses themselves between guests checking in and checking out. It wouldn't take long and they would become experts at what to look for.

And stop those crawly bugs on your posts... they making me itch!!!:eek:

Goofster
03-15-2011, 02:04 PM
Thank you all for the best wishes. It is painful, but my doctor said I'm half way through it already. :mickey:

MNNHFLTX
03-15-2011, 02:20 PM
Bed bugs are white? I thought they were black. I've always been checking the seams of the mattresses for black moving bugs. Are the bed bugs visible to the naked eye without an ultraviolet light? I want to be sure I'm actually checking! Trip is 38 days away!
Bed bugs are reddish-brown and vary in size, but are typically about the size of an apple seed. And yes, you can check for them just using a flashlight at night around the edges/underside of the mattress.

Personally, I've never seen any evidence of them at WDW.

Joannelet
03-15-2011, 02:21 PM
Bed bugs are white? I thought they were black. I've always been checking the seams of the mattresses for black moving bugs. Are the bed bugs visible to the naked eye without an ultraviolet light? I want to be sure I'm actually checking correctly! Trip is 38 days away!

Up in your area of Jersey my sis is a health inspector and has to deal with people's bed bugs a lot. The babies are white/yellowish-close to the color of a mattress. Adults are brown and after feeding are reddish brown. Any kind of light will do. On my honeymoon in Hawaii the car we rented had them. I found them when we were parking our car at night I got out and closed the door so the light went off....the only thing was we had parked near a street light and I was able to see them coming out on the back seat. They are the size of an appleseed. So yes the brown ones can be seen with the naked eye....the white ones can too but you just have to look harder. I have no idea how we didn't bring them home with us but thank god. I am a bug freak and hate them tremendously so any size bug will catch my attention. After the third time of me trying to show them to my hubby he saw them too....it was just harder for him because they are tiny.....
On the mattress look for black streaks. Look like dirt streaks.....Look for them in crevices, headboard etc. BEFORE bringing your suitcases in. I always go to the room first and check out the beds....wherever I go....

mouseketeer mom
03-15-2011, 09:16 PM
Wait, I want to be sure I understand. Do I have to check for them in the dark? Can I just walk in the room when we check in during the day and see them on the mattress?

Mousemates
03-17-2011, 01:48 PM
yes...you can rather effectively check for them on the mattresses during the day...because it is during the daylight hours that they tend to congregate in their "nesting" spots...they are largely nocturnal creatures and thus at night they get active and go out in search of something to eat.

But when you check your bed(s)....be sure to check all the way around the mattress...lots of the time they will not be everywhere, but will congregate at just one spot.

mouseketeer mom
03-17-2011, 05:05 PM
yes...you can rather effectively check for them on the mattresses during the day...because it is during the daylight hours that they tend to congregate in their "nesting" spots...they are largely nocturnal creatures and thus at night they get active and go out in search of something to eat.

But when you check your bed(s)....be sure to check all the way around the mattress...lots of the time they will not be everywhere, but will congregate at just one spot.

Ok..this is good to know., I don't usually check all around the mattress. Thank you.

MyDisneyworld
03-18-2011, 09:50 AM

I just had that also a few months ago, started on xmas day and it's no fun. Thought I just had a bug bite then it quickly turned into this large rash on just half of my neck. I can see how you would think it was from bed bugs because I kept thinking what could bite me that bad. The burning feeling does not go away even after the rash clears up.

Goofster
03-18-2011, 11:27 AM
I just had that also a few months ago, started on xmas day and it's no fun. Thought I just had a bug bite then it quickly turned into this large rash on just half of my neck. I can see how you would think it was from bed bugs because I kept thinking what could bite me that bad. The burning feeling does not go away even after the rash clears up.

How long does the burning feeling last? Are you still dealing with it?

I noticed you're over in Troy...I'm in Brighton, must be a Michigan thing right now!

johnO
03-24-2011, 01:33 PM
I've never seen bedbugs there but I have had maggots under the bed at ASMov. GROSS!

:bug::bug:

EJS-Houston
03-30-2011, 03:48 PM

So sorry, Goofster! I wish you speedy recovery!

waymickey
03-31-2011, 11:32 AM
I've never seen bedbugs there but I have had maggots under the bed at ASMov. GROSS!

:jaw: I am completely grossed out now!

Silver_Surfer
04-04-2011, 01:46 AM
:jaw: I am completely grossed out now!

OK, I gotta ask where was it? Did someone leave a burger or something under the bed?

LVT
04-07-2011, 07:33 AM
Sorry to hear about the shingles. I figure anything they push narcotics for is something I do not want to experience.

mickeefan
04-07-2011, 10:47 AM
Sorry to hear about the shingles.After seeing my neighbor deal with shingles and the pain he suffered, I got the shingles shot. Expensive, but fortunately insurance covered it.

MyDisneyworld
04-08-2011, 10:22 AM
How long does the burning feeling last? Are you still dealing with it?

I noticed you're over in Troy...I'm in Brighton, must be a Michigan thing right now!

It took a few weeks after the rash went away for the buring to go away. I'm now all free and clear with just a couple scars that have been slowly disappearing.
Must be a Michigan thing because I know others that have just had it recently.

forever a child
04-08-2011, 10:51 AM

You can't post these kinds of things and NOT give more information! Gross! and how did maggots show up in a hotel room????:ack:

mouseketeer mom
04-08-2011, 11:17 AM
I can't even let myself think of who might have slept in the bed before me, let alone any bugs in the bed too. This is all too much. I will do a quick check of the beds when we get in the room, then I'll go to my happy place in my mind, and pretend the beds were put there just for my family!! Haha! ;)

LudwigVonDrake
04-17-2011, 11:14 AM
:bug:Packing flashlight :shake:

One of my favorite posts :thumbsup:

luvdiznee
04-17-2011, 09:21 PM
One of my favorite posts :thumbsup:

Thanks. :notworth: I actually got 2. One in the carry on and one in the checked bag. :fingers:

kemps@wdw
04-17-2011, 09:49 PM
Yes, they are visible to the naked eye in the day or night. Yes, the "fuller" they get the darker they get. Yes, they leave "trails" across the suface after they've been feeding. Yes,flashlights and blue lights will detect them in the dark. Yes, thanks to international travel, any hotels/motels are prime candidates. And yes, they are totally gross! No, their bites are not fatal, just annoying. No, mattresses aren't the only place in the room they like to be. Check around the headboards where they're attached to the wall, corners where wall meets floors, and the seams around the mattress and boxsprings. And one tip...don't leave your luggage on the floors in your room. Bedbugs like to travel to different places too!:bug:

Puppy Mom
05-27-2011, 05:49 PM
My Sweetie and I just returned from a trip during the 1st week of May. We stayed 5 nights at OKW and didn't suffer from as much as a single mosquito bite. We transferred over to POR for 2 nights to finish up the trip and we both noticed insect bites after our first night in the new room at POR. Both of us were quite certain we hadn't been bitten by anything during our normal activities. After the second night, the number of bites had increased and were in different areas of our bodies. Once again, we KNOW we weren't bitten during park visits or anywhere else. Using process of eliminaton and the location of the bites, the only conclusion is the bites had to come from bed bugs. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I have been a DVC member since '95 and have made more 2 dozens trips to the World and have never had a more disgusting experience.

Check your mattresses and sheeting, friends.

Tink#64
05-28-2011, 12:22 AM
This is a great thread! I was just talking about being concerned about this yesterday with a friend. We'll be at Pop the last week of June. My friend told me to take my own sheets, I said that wouldn't do any good, as the sheets are washed by WDW but the bugs live in the matresses creases, etc. I am for sure packing a flashlight to check, but I too didn't know to look in the dark, and I hadn't thought about doing it before our luggage enters the room! Thanks to all previous posters for the great info!

Goofster, my prayers are with you, my mom had shingles a couple of years ago & it took her a very long time to get over the burning feeling. Sending you some pixie dust for a speedy recovery! :pixie:

Tinkerfreak
05-28-2011, 08:44 AM
My Sweetie and I just returned from a trip during the 1st week of May. We stayed 5 nights at OKW and didn't suffer from as much as a single mosquito bite. We transferred over to POR for 2 nights to finish up the trip and we both noticed insect bites after our first night in the new room at POR. Both of us were quite certain we hadn't been bitten by anything during our normal activities. After the second night, the number of bites had increased and were in different areas of our bodies. Once again, we KNOW we weren't bitten during park visits or anywhere else. Using process of eliminaton and the location of the bites, the only conclusion is the bites had to come from bed bugs. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I have been a DVC member since '95 and have made more 2 dozens trips to the World and have never had a more disgusting experience.

Check your mattresses and sheeting, friends.

OMG I hope you didn't bring any home with you because you will have a very hard time getting rid of them.

tcswife
05-28-2011, 02:05 PM
Just got back from POP two weeks ago and our room's had bed bugs!!!!! 80's building BEWARE!!!

luvdiznee
05-28-2011, 02:10 PM
I was very concerned about bb's on our last trip, since we were going from; POP Resort to a Royal Caribbean Cruise and then onto the Hyatt at MCO. Glad to report....None...Nada...Zero...Zilch!:thumbsup:

johnO
05-30-2011, 09:36 AM
What was the room location at POR?

crltkcagle
05-30-2011, 10:31 PM
Please give us more info on the bedbugs at POR.What section were you in? Did you notify Disney? We will be staying there in September and I definitely don't want to deal with bed bugs!

Ok after much googling I found a lot of information about the bed bug situation at POR! I really hope they get it under control because apparently many people have had to deal with them at this resort.

tcswife
05-31-2011, 10:15 PM
My mother had to go to the dermatologist for the :bug:BED BUG:bug: bites that she received on our trip the 1st week of May! We stayed at Pop Century and her and I as well as my two youngest children were victims of:bug: bed bugs. Mine bites as well as my kids were not as stubborn as my mothers have been. Ours sores hung around for about a week and itched to high heavens and finally faded away but, Nana had to go to the dermatologist today to have cortisone shots in several different places the the doctor confirmed were bed bug bites:bug:. I am calling the hotel in the morning to report this case of :bug: May any of you going to Pop in the future be safe from bed bugs:bug:

Tink#64
06-01-2011, 12:03 AM
tcswife, which building where you in at Pop? We arrive in about 3 weeks, & now I'm really concerned! We'll definitely be checking for them, but Idk if I'll honestly feel like they aren't there even if I don't see them! :bug:

What would one use on bed bug bites for the itching? Calamine/Caladryl lotion or possibly something like Solarcaine spray? I'm thinking I should pack something for the just in case scenario! :ack:

waymickey
06-01-2011, 08:45 AM
This post has me itching !!! ewwww!!! I will be going to POP this August and I am really concerned now. Please report the problem and let us know what building and room you were in when the bugs ATTACKED!!!:scared: :bug:

Kathy Jetson
06-01-2011, 02:45 PM
I'm checking in at Pop on Sunday. I had requested the 70's section. Are these bugs all over the resort or just the 80's section?

Tink#64
06-01-2011, 11:37 PM
Kathy Jetson, please let us know what you find at Pop! We too have requested the 70's section! Best of luck to you & sending you some :pixie: for a magical trip!

seanyred
06-02-2011, 12:07 AM
I have no additional information about the resorts down there. But I do work for a health department and know a little about bed bugs. First off they do not cary disease they are more of nuisance than anything. But they are a major nuisance. Secondly anyone that travels should be checking for bed bugs at every hotel they stay. If you see them or experience bites call managment right away the hotel or resort has an obligation to correct this problem.

Remember just because its the happiest place on earth doesn't mean this stuff can't happen here.

Tinkerfreak
06-02-2011, 07:58 AM
It isn't bad enough that you have to deal with the bugs on vacation but if you end up bringing them home to your house it is a nightmare to try and get rid of them and very expensive. My friend just went on a school trip where the class traveled up and down the east coast on april vacation and they encountered bed bugs in 3 of the hotels they stayed in. They had to check the rooms of 80 kids every night before they allowed any of them to bring their stuff into the room. One room had 2 beds but only bugs in one bed not the other so make sure to check all beds. She said it really took away from the enjoyment of the trip because the adults were so worried about bed bugs. If even one kid got them in their luggage and it was piled on top of other luggage on the bus they could spread.
Anyone traveling make sure when you come home you wash and dry anything you can on high heat and never bring your suitcases into the house right away.

crltkcagle
06-02-2011, 01:42 PM
I

Remember just because its the happiest place on earth doesn't mean this stuff can't happen here.

I agree but at the same time when your spending a mini fortune to go to Disney World you would expect for them to not have bed bugs. And if they do to nip the problem in the bud very quickly. I am reading horror stories about the situation and apparently this has been gone on for a few years now.

tcswife
06-03-2011, 12:52 PM
Some were asking what building we stayed in. We were in the 80's building 8246 and 8247!

I called and reported a claim this morning and was told someone would get back to me at the first of next week......we'll see what happens and I will keep you guys updated!

Mackflava99
06-03-2011, 01:22 PM
i am packing a flashlight too

Poohshoneypot
06-03-2011, 07:14 PM
i am packing a flashlight too

It needs to be a ultraviolet flashlight.

I'm staying at POP in Oct. and I'm worried to death about it. I'm thinking about changing my location.

ibelieveindisneymagic
06-03-2011, 10:10 PM
I wouldn't change your location ... they can be anywhere.

All you can do is check carefully!

tcswife
06-07-2011, 05:04 PM
UPDATE:

I was called back today by a Disney insurance adjuster. She ask a million times had I stayed at any other hotel before arriving at Disney and also ask where we stopped on the way down there. She told me that pest control was supposed to be checking the rooms today and that she would contact me tomorrow or Friday with the results. Something tells me that there miraculously will not be any thing found.....What do you think?? Unfortunately for them, my mother has doctors notes that stated otherwise. I will keep you all updated with the outcome.:mickey:

MNNHFLTX
06-07-2011, 05:56 PM
It needs to be a ultraviolet flashlight. Based on what I have read, it does not need to be an ultraviolet light--a simple flashlight will do if you are checking the beds at nighttime. You can even check during the day with natural light but they might be harder to see.

However, the ultraviolet might show other things on the bed or bedspread! :ack:

Tink#64
06-07-2011, 11:38 PM
Thanks tcswife, and I hope you hear positive news back from WDW! :fingers:

We arrive in 2+ weeks & I have to be honest, I'm really concerned about this! We'll be checking the beds & room very carefully.

Let us know what you hear, hope your DM is doing ok. :grouphug:

tcswife
06-09-2011, 12:26 AM
Funny coincidence....As I scrolled back to the top of this page, I was greeted with an advertisement from a pest control company about getting rid of bed bugs.....LOL!!!

Tink#64
06-09-2011, 12:41 AM
tcswife - Oh my gosh! How ironic is that? :bang:

Loves the Mouse
06-09-2011, 12:34 PM

oh I feel bad for you. I hope you are feeling better !!! I know what you are going threw my daughter just got over having shingles. Now it's waiting till the scabs heal over. She was in agony. My daughter would hit the ground even if you just touch or brush against her !!!

Loves the Mouse
06-09-2011, 12:47 PM
I'm also worried about beg bugs. We are staying at the All Star family suites. I requested the Calypso building, after hearing about bed bugs in the Jazz section. But what I'm really worried about is that we are going to Universal for two nights and have to get a roll away bed. I will do a check of the room before we go in but if they bring the roll away to the room after I checked it, there might be a problem. What if the roll away has bed bugs !!! And we have all our personal things already in the room. What would you guys do ? Tell the front desk not to bring the bed in till I check it ?

tcswife
06-15-2011, 02:29 PM
Still waiting on that call!!!

dizneydeb22
06-15-2011, 02:44 PM

My husband also works for Orkin and he said the same thing. We have had 10+ trips and he has never found anything. And he checks thoroughly!! :bug:

Kathy Jetson
06-15-2011, 03:44 PM
I just got back from POP. I was there from 6/5-6/11. We stayed in the 70's room 6419. We pulled all the sheets off the bed and removed the mattress's and am happy to report everything was very clean. Good luck to everyone else:mickey:

Tink#64
06-20-2011, 01:12 AM
OK, tonight was talking with a DGF & she's also travelling this month & we're both really concerned about bed bugs & have been reading these posts & other info. I have a couple of questions we're both pondering. :scratch:

1) After carefully checking with flashlights, room seems free of bed bugs, and safe to bring in our luggage, would it be over the top OCD & useless to bring our own hypo allergenic, zipping mattress covers?

2) After thinking that the room is free of bed bugs, and then possibly finding ourselves with bites, in an attempt not to bring the dreaded critters home with us, what precautions would one take with their luggage?

DGF, read a suggestion of sealing luggage in black plastic garbage bags! (She meant for the entire trip, only opening to get what you need & then closing them up again!) At first I was thinking WOW! Over the top, but is it? I'm not so worried about being bitten, it's gross, but I know harmless, but it sounds like the real problem is bringing them home with you. So in the event that you realized too late that your room in fact had bedbugs, could you seal off the luggage in this way, & say empty the contents into a washer in a laundromat? Does wahing & drying kill the creatures? How would you fumigate your luggage?

As I'm typing this, I feel like I sound completely neurotic, but I know that bedbugs are a very real situation & concern & sounds like a horribly expensive, exhausting problem to deal with once you have them! :ack:

Is anyone else taking any other precautions besides looking for them with a flashlight? Are we completely nuts about this? :paranoid:

BelleBeauty
06-25-2011, 10:12 AM
2) After thinking that the room is free of bed bugs, and then possibly finding ourselves with bites, in an attempt not to bring the dreaded critters home with us, what precautions would one take with their luggage?

Tink, if for some reason you think that you have been exposed to bed bugs, drop off every article of clothing at the dry cleaners (that high heat will kill bugs or eggs), then to be safe, I would throw out your suitcase. Don't bring any of it back with you until you know it has been cleaned.

I travel a lot and always like to check. However, I find that a lot of it is in my head. If I start to obsess over it too much I will find myself scratching in bed freaking out that I will end up with bed bugs. I haven't yet! Be cautious, but remember that hotels do really check things thoroughly because an epidemic in their hotel is really worse for them that it would be for us in our homes.

seanyred
06-25-2011, 10:45 AM
I think people should remember that bed bugs can happen anywhere. In any hotel room, airplane or any public place with fabric seats/couches. All it takes is one person who doesn't know or doesn't care that they are infested and then spreading begins. So remember just check your room before you bring your stuff in and you should be fine.

Jillirose
06-25-2011, 01:20 PM
10 trips in 10 years, no bed bugs ever!:thumbsup:

Disneyfamilyof3
04-10-2012, 10:39 AM
Here is a link to the bed bug registry, and the most recent guest reports on the bed bug status of the wdw resort hotels, as well as hotels elsewhere. I don't understand why they don't just check each room while cleaning,...seems to me that an extra five minutes of checking could save both disney and the guests thousands of dollars, not to mention bad feelings, ruined memories, and severe allergic reactions.:ack:

[Link removed per TOS]

TinkerbellT421
04-10-2012, 11:00 AM
Unfortunately, bed bugs are a problem EVERYWHERE, not just Disney. You can pick up bed bugs from someone rubbing up against you in a super market. Checking the room for an extra five minutes will not cure it. Sometimes they lay dormant without being seen in the rugs, walls, curtains, etc., so even if they check this morning, they will come out of hiding at night. It is not guaranteed that if you check the spot now that they won't show up in the same spot you already checked, later.

Disneyfamilyof3
04-10-2012, 11:24 AM
Ugh!
I have read that the worst of the bed bug epidemic is in the mid states.Big cities like NYC, Detroit, and Philadelphia have been hard hit, too. It's such a shame because it seems to be a vicious cycle that never ends. Too bad WDW and other Orlando hotels won't use the dogs that are specially trained to sniff them out. Aggressively, as in whenever a guest leaves. It would be a huge public service.Also, at night, they should check the parks as well. I work in a major NYC university, and I can tell you that they had severe infestations in the library, dorms, etc. It's bad enough to pick up bed bugs from travel, but it must be a real nightmare to get bitten and bring them home from WDW. Thankfully, I've never seen a bedbug there in all my past 12 trips.

I have also read that people should bring garbage bags and flashlights to inspect the mattresses, headboards, etc., and to bag their luggage. I know I will if and when I travel again {{shudder}}.

Davy Crockett
04-10-2012, 02:16 PM
Disneyfamilyof3 posted a good resource, but as per Intercot rules you can not post links, so if anyone would like the link to the registry please send me a private message and I will be more than happy to send you the information. This is excellent resource for travel anywhere in the United States. You will NEVER want to visit New York City once you see the city map which plots every recorded bed bug event. I use it everytime before booking rooms in any hotel through out the U.S. Hope it helps you as well.

Disney Doll
04-10-2012, 05:25 PM
Or just google bed bug registry. It's not hard to find. Personally, I've never encountered bed bugs at Disney, but for a place with so many visitors it's bound to happen on occasion. I've never bothered to do a room check, but maybe we will start.

MississippiDisneyFreak
04-11-2012, 11:23 AM
Yes, they are everywhere...our HR director just got back from a business trip to DC....she got bitten by bed bugs in a very nice hotel too...

Wolf
04-11-2012, 12:04 PM
Of course I sat here and read every bit of this post then called in my lunch...*gags* But this really is awesome information, I'm abit OCD and want to make sure I know what to do, so I get this Blue ultraviolet flashlight yall mentioned, take it with me in my purse, we check in and what part of the mattress do I look at? Under the sheets? Under the matress between the box springs? I'm soooo buggy phobic yalls little creeper emote was freaking me out LOL

Disneyfamilyof3
04-11-2012, 07:23 PM
Hiya Wolf,

From what I've been reading, it would be best to first inspect ANY hotel room (Disney, offsite, NYC, WDC, etc.) before bringing in any luggage. Reports vary on the best way to check: some say it's best to have the lights off, and that makes sense to me. All reports say it is best to take the sheets off each corner of the bed, and check in the mattress seams for anything that moves; can be brown, black or transparent, depending on when the bugs last fed on blood. One may also look for brown/black fecal stains on the mattress. One report mentioned stated that, while three mattress corners were clear, the fourth harbored a major bedbug infestation. Yet another report stated that the bugs were found after Disney hotel management lifted up the mattress. Yet another hotel report, in Fla. but not Disney, stated that the bugs were found when the tv was shifted.

All reports concur that it is best to keep your luggage on the metal racks in the closet,...some people favor bagging them with black garbage bags.

I know this is gross, but I'd rather everyone knows what to do rather than take some stowaways home in their luggage. From what I understand, once people's homes become infested, it can take several thousand dollars and six months or more to get rid of these pests. By then, most people have sleep disorders and PTSD. Some may laugh at the precautions, but I just think it's smart to take preventative measures. I'd even keep my luggage outside when I got home, off the plane, until I inspected them, also.

Hopefully, there is an exterminator on Intercot who may offer more professional advice, as I'm just posting what I've read from other people, and can't vouch for it from personal experience.

CzepielCrew
04-12-2012, 09:12 AM
This is a great thread. Never thought to look, but I will be looking from now on!:thumbsup:

Mickey'sIrishPAl
04-12-2012, 09:55 AM
Hiya Wolf,

From what I've been reading, it would be best to first inspect ANY hotel room (Disney, offsite, NYC, WDC, etc.) before bringing in any luggage. Reports vary on the best way to check: some say it's best to have the lights off, and that makes sense to me. All reports say it is best to take the sheets off each corner of the bed, and check in the mattress seams for anything that moves; can be brown, black or transparent, depending on when the bugs last fed on blood. One may also look for brown/black fecal stains on the mattress. One report mentioned stated that, while three mattress corners were clear, the fourth harbored a major bedbug infestation. Yet another report stated that the bugs were found after Disney hotel management lifted up the mattress. Yet another hotel report, in Fla. but not Disney, stated that the bugs were found when the tv was shifted.

All reports concur that it is best to keep your luggage on the metal racks in the closet,...some people favor bagging them with black garbage bags.

I know this is gross, but I'd rather everyone knows what to do rather than take some stowaways home in their luggage. From what I understand, once people's homes become infested, it can take several thousand dollars and six months or more to get rid of these pests. By then, most people have sleep disorders and PTSD. Some may laugh at the precautions, but I just think it's smart to take preventative measures. I'd even keep my luggage outside when I got home, off the plane, until I inspected them, also.

Hopefully, there is an exterminator on Intercot who may offer more professional advice, as I'm just posting what I've read from other people, and can't vouch for it from personal experience.

I am an administrator for an agency that houses individuals with developmental disabilities and one of our residential sites had issues with bed bugs. You are spot on that it takes thousands of dollars to get rid of these pests and the price includes one year of coverage if the bugs return within the year. There is a one time payment of $3,000 + for the one time spraying of the home or we could have paid half that price for 6 monthly sprayings of the home which it was told to us that this method was "less effective". For a dog to come in and find the bugs it was a charge of $600 + just to see if you do in fact have bed bugs present.
I will say that after the $3,000 service, that the bugs were termintated completely!!

This is the extent of my bed bug knowledge.

Mousemates
04-12-2012, 10:23 AM
originally posted by WOLF - Of course I sat here and read every bit of this post then called in my lunch...*gags* But this really is awesome information, I'm abit OCD and want to make sure I know what to do, so I get this Blue ultraviolet flashlight yall mentioned, take it with me in my purse, we check in and what part of the mattress do I look at? Under the sheets? Under the matress between the box springs? I'm soooo buggy phobic yalls little creeper emote was freaking me out LOL

:bug: :bug:

We have encountered bedbugs twice in our travels...once (in all places) in Cedar Falls Iowa at a nearly new hotel and once at WDW, we found the ones in Iowa after doing a thorough check-in inspection of the bedding, but did not discover our problem at disney (POFQ) until we found the bites (both my wife and I had linear sets of bites on our arms and abdomen after waking up in the morning.

They sent someone up to inspect the room but could not find the location of the bugs...they ended up moving us to another room and doing a few things to kind of make up for our issues. As soon as we got moved out, they sent a crew in who stripped the bedding and when I peeked in the window I could see them lifting the mattresses and box springs of the bed frame. I talked with the workers and had them kind of show me the "best" places to look for them (turns out the headboards and artwork hung on the wall above the head of the bed are also a common sites to find them).

We asked them for heavy duty trash bags to put all of our dirty clothes in and anything else that had been on the bed and floor...we put all suitcases in sealed plastic bags to keep any potential hitchhikers from getting in the car on the drive home and then did a thorough inspection of our luggage and traveling gear before anything came into the house...everything that came back eventually either got washed and hot dried or treated with sterifab. We were nervous for a few weeks, but had no future problems.

Let me close by saying they can be an issue anywhere you go..not just hotel rooms, but lobby furniture, theaters, etc...and while its prudent to be careful (we now do VERY thorough examinations) don't let it become an obsession that messes with your mind too much.

We continue to travel (in fact we recently got back from a great stay at POR) and enjoy ourselves. Disney seems (from my non-expert perspective) to do a good job of control and in our case moved quickly to prevent what was likely some stragglers from previous visitors from becoming a bonafide infestation. So chances are you can go and visit without having any worries...in fact the honest truth of the matter is that almost every one does.

goofy89
04-12-2012, 10:28 AM
Honestly, I have never checked before but after reading through this thread I will definitely be checking when we go in October. :sick:

Wolf
04-12-2012, 11:21 AM
Okay yall thank you so much!!!

SBETigg
04-12-2012, 11:45 AM
They are definitely everywhere. I know some NYC publishing offices that were closed down to treat infestations. So of course, anything in storage in NYC which goes anywhere else, like clothing or merchandise, can be at risk. It's important to be vigilant, but I'm also of the mind that it could happen anywhere, planes, shops, offices, not just for hotel rooms anymore. And you can't just live in fear.

dizneydeb22
04-12-2012, 12:11 PM

My husband works for Orkin also...he checks throughly before we bring in any luggage. We go every year and knock on wood...no bugs!

WDW-Geek
04-13-2012, 03:58 PM
This thread currently has over 10,000 views. I think you've hit a nerve. :mickey:

:bug::bug::bug::bug::bug::bug::bug:

BIGDOG
04-20-2012, 07:13 PM
Do what I do.... just leave the door open when you go to the park and the lizards running around will get in there and eat the bed bugs.

mom2morgan
04-20-2012, 08:43 PM
Do what I do.... just leave the door open when you go to the park and the lizards running around will get in there and eat the bed bugs.

LOL! Now that's "green" thinking ;-)

EeyoresBestFriend
04-20-2012, 11:45 PM
My husband works for Orkin also...he checks throughly before we bring in any luggage. We go every year and knock on wood...no bugs!

Do you mean like an LED flashlight? What kind of 'blue light' does he mean?

Dixie Springs
04-21-2012, 06:29 PM
I look at it this way - they're cheap souvenirs.

faline
04-21-2012, 07:29 PM
I look at it this way - they're cheap souvenirs.

Actually, they're very expensive in many ways! Think about the money you'd have to pay for exterminators to try to get rid of them! As I understand it, a bed bug can live for up to a year without a meal so can be hiding in a crack in your house for that amount of time! Think about all the clothing and other items you'll need to launder and the amount of time you'll spend doing this - nope, nothing cheap about bringing this sort of critter home with you.

Mousemates
04-23-2012, 09:33 AM
Actually, they're very expensive in many ways! ..... nope, nothing cheap about bringing this sort of critter home with you.

BIGDOG
04-24-2012, 03:28 PM
After reading this thread and searching a few websites I noticed most of the resorts mentioned are value or moderate. Do the Deluxe resorts do a special treatment to the rooms they have? Is there anything that is done extra or different to the resorts that cost an arm and a leg rather then just an arm and a bite?

Mousemates
04-25-2012, 08:27 AM
After reading this thread and searching a few websites I noticed most of the resorts mentioned are value or moderate. Do the Deluxe resorts do a special treatment to the rooms they have? Is there anything that is done extra or different to the resorts that cost an arm and a leg rather then just an arm and a bite?

Sorry, but the deluxe resorts are not any more or any less immune to bedbugs than the values or mods...in fact one of the first threads on this particular subject matter on this website was entitled, "Bedbugs at the Poly."