PDA

View Full Version : Fantasyland Skyway Finally Coming Down

GothMickey
03-07-2011, 04:01 PM
Message updated by Figment! on 03-21-2011 at 11:06 PM:

The public documents for this project can be found linked below (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showpost.php?p=2152905&postcount=23).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message originally posted by GothMickey on 03-07-2011 at 04:01 PM:

Plans have been leaked online. The permits have been filed. The Fantasyland Skyway will be torn down. Restrooms will be built in the area. Along with the new restrooms, Peter Pan's queue will be extended and made interactive, as part of the Next Gen project. The queue will swallow up the bathrooms next to Pan and Columbia Harbour House. Also, Yankee Trader will survive the redo of the area, new paths to Liberty Square will be constructed, which will eleviate crowd flow problems. The blue prints so what appears to be a waterfall in the area. I am assuming the hill currently there will be built up, with more trees being added, to block the HM and Small World warehouse show buildings.

I think, personally, this will really help with some of the congestion in the area. The transition from Fantasyland to Liberty Square does not appear to be affected at all. The area should transition nicely.

Discuss.

Goofster
03-07-2011, 04:41 PM
Sounds good to me. I like the idea of the waterfall and Peter Pan could use a better queue given the 45+ minute wait (not that I would ever wait that long, we always use fastpass). :thumbsup:

Goofy4TheWorld
03-07-2011, 05:34 PM
I'm clueless. What is the skyway and where is it located (in refernce to what exists now)?

:shrug:

chefmickey3
03-07-2011, 05:51 PM
It is the area for stroller parking in Fantasyland near Liberty Square. It used to be one end of the Skyway between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland. I like the new ideas! Although I am not a big fan of the new queues. I think they will cause trouble between guests who want to "play" in line and those who just want to ride the ride. The Pooh one is fun but I find it annoying.

Melanie
03-07-2011, 05:55 PM
I'm clueless. What is the skyway and where is it located (in refernce to what exists now)?

The remaining skyway station is located to the left of It's A Small World (if you are looking at it from Peter Pan). It's actually a cool looking building. Too bad they couldn't incorporate it into some of these plans, but I get it.

If this is accurate, sounds like some nice improvements. But again with the interactive queues......

BrerGnat
03-07-2011, 06:58 PM
But again with the interactive queues......

I'm thinking this too. What's the obsession over interactive queues over at WDW all of a sudden? They haven't incorporated this idea at all over at Disneyland...

You know what the kids would REALLY like? Hand every one of them an ipod touch when they get in line preloaded with Disney apps, movies, and games. THAT would be the sort of interactive queue my kids would be in favor of. ;) :thumbsup:

DizneyFreak2002
03-07-2011, 07:04 PM
There are other sites where people posted pictures of their own photoshop renderings based on the blue prints... If the final product looks anything like the doctored pictures, this will be fantastic!!! Much needed... However, I rather Peter Pan get the northern portion of Storybook Circus Land... Make Never Land back there.... Build the Skull Mountain and create a state of the art, brand new Peter Pan attraction... Tink can get Pixie Hollow.. She can do her Meet and Greets there.. Pan and Wendy can do Meet and Greets there as well... I think this would have been a better use of the land than keeping those darn circus tents... AGH!!!!

Aurora
03-07-2011, 07:44 PM
Anything that would spread out the guests in that bottleneck is welcome news to me. I've been through there during a semi-light crowd day when it's been a nightmare trying to get through.

Ian
03-08-2011, 07:47 AM
Sounds good to me. I agree with everyone that this is a bad spot for crowds, so whatever they can do to move people through there more smoothly is a good thing.

Gonna miss the old skyway building, though, but if the interactive queue for Peter Pan is anything like Pooh's new queue it'll be cool. I really like what they did with Pooh.

slegrant
03-08-2011, 08:59 AM
Where can I see the artist renderings? Thanks!

magicofdisney
03-08-2011, 09:17 AM

:shrug:

The remaining skyway station is located to the left of It's A Small World (if you are looking at it from Peter Pan). It's actually a cool looking building. Too bad they couldn't incorporate it into some of these plans, but I get it.

If this is accurate, sounds like some nice improvements. But again with the interactive queues......
The area is also used as stroller parking.

John
03-08-2011, 09:24 AM
Memories:

http://intercot.com/themeparks/magickingdom/fantasyland/skyway/default.asp

joonyer
03-08-2011, 12:40 PM
It's about time. The attraction has been permanently closed for over 11 years.
They also need to replace or do something really innovative with the Tomorrowland Skyway station building.

TheVBs
03-08-2011, 04:53 PM
There are other sites where people posted pictures of their own photoshop renderings based on the blue prints... If the final product looks anything like the doctored pictures, this will be fantastic!!! Much needed... However, I rather Peter Pan get the northern portion of Storybook Circus Land... Make Never Land back there.... Build the Skull Mountain and create a state of the art, brand new Peter Pan attraction... Tink can get Pixie Hollow.. She can do her Meet and Greets there.. Pan and Wendy can do Meet and Greets there as well... I think this would have been a better use of the land than keeping those darn circus tents... AGH!!!!

Love that idea! Much better than a circus theme, which makes me want to go "AGH!!" too.

DizneyFreak2002
03-08-2011, 06:50 PM
Where can I see the artist renderings? Thanks!

I doubt we will see artist renderings of the area as it really isn't big news... Maybe once they do finally annouce Pan's queue, we MAY see something.. But I highly doubt they will release concept art for bathrooms... :)

And if you want to see what other people have done using photoshop, the pictures are out there... Not sure if Google will help, but try it out... The pictures have been done by fans on other fan sites...

Kim Possible
03-08-2011, 07:43 PM
the interactive queues are nice, but..... often times the kids play with them too much and make the lines way too long

Goofy_Guy
03-10-2011, 02:13 AM
I remember hearing some time ago that the reason that the Skyway station remained there is because it hides part of the ride building of the Haunted Mansion.

Imagineer1981
03-15-2011, 03:26 PM
Just heard about this on a pod cast. I think it will be a good addition, but I really was hoping for more than just bathrooms to replace the old Skyway building

waymickey
03-17-2011, 10:14 AM
sounds nice but I really feel the interactive cues are a bit much. What happened to paying attention to your child in line.? My DD and I made up so many games while waiting in line, hand games, guessing games, rock paper sissors. Now I have to watch parents drag their screaming child away. :( Kind of ruins things a bit. Down time is precious, just talking with your children is priceless.

Maybe I am just old....

Ian
03-17-2011, 11:26 AM
sounds nice but I really feel the interactive cues are a bit much. What happened to paying attention to your child in line.? My DD and I made up so many games while waiting in line, hand games, guessing games, rock paper sissors. Now I have to watch parents drag their screaming child away. :( Kind of ruins things a bit. Down time is precious, just talking with your children is priceless.

Maybe I am just old....Just remember that "old" and "wise" frequently go hand in hand. ;)

Patricia
03-17-2011, 12:26 PM
It will be nice to see this area finally moving forward. :thumbsup:

waymickey, I'm with you.
I enjoyed the slower paced interaction time with my kids in the queues. Gave us time to chat about what we had just done or were going to do next. Not sure I'd like to spend more time waiting so my kids could utilize the interactions.. :crazy:

That being said, I do enjoy the appropriately themed queues such as Pirates and Tower of Terror.

waymickey
03-18-2011, 08:45 AM
Just remember that "old" and "wise" frequently go hand in hand. ;)

Thanks Ian

Figment!
03-21-2011, 11:08 PM
Here are the public documents detailing the project:

Site Map (http://my.sfwmd.gov/cmsdk/content/ifs/apps/RegDocFolder/CalculationsDesignPlansEngineering/110217-4_Maps_735801.pdf)

Project Plan (http://my.sfwmd.gov/cmsdk/content/ifs/apps/RegDocFolder/CalculationsDesignPlansEngineering/110217-4_Plans_735802.pdf)

BandMan
03-22-2011, 03:12 PM
Love that idea! Much better than a circus theme, which makes me want to go "AGH!!" too.

Actually, I LOVE the circus theme. Not only does it tie in well with Dumbo, the train station, and the new re-themed Great Goofini, but there's lots of opportunity for street performers, fun music, carnival-styled games, etc.

The circus is a great, nostalgic part of that turn-of-the-century (20th century) Americana that seems to go hand-in-hand with WDW.

Disneyjim
04-19-2011, 02:49 PM
I understand why that area needs to be updated, but I'll be sad to see that building go. Everytime I see it it reminds me of my earliest memories of Disneyworld and riding the skyway with my dad :mickey:

MinnieMommie
04-19-2011, 08:21 PM
I too have fond memories of the skyway building and will miss it. That being said I am glad the changes will facilitate traffic flow in that area. :mickey:

TheVBs
04-21-2011, 04:52 PM

Actually, I LOVE the circus theme. Not only does it tie in well with Dumbo, the train station, and the new re-themed Great Goofini, but there's lots of opportunity for street performers, fun music, carnival-styled games, etc.

The circus is a great, nostalgic part of that turn-of-the-century (20th century) Americana that seems to go hand-in-hand with WDW.

I've just never been a huge fan of the circus. I have no doubt Disney will do it well though. I hope! :thumbsup:

Not2Loud
05-19-2011, 09:23 AM
I can admit it, I am a bit sad about it. There is something about seeing the old Skyway station that takes me back to being a kid at WDW in the 70's and 80's. I always loved the skybuckets. I would still be riding them if they were open. I last got to ride them in February 1999. It was the first time I went to WDW with my now wife. Great memory.

I understand the need for improvement and moving forward, but nostalgia gets the better of me sometimes.

On another note, I do have several of the pins with pieces of the buckets for memories sake. I guess I am just sappy!

crltkcagle
05-19-2011, 10:26 AM
It is such a pretty little area. I will be sad to see it go too. I just hope they find somewhere to park all those strollers now! LOL:eyes: