PDA

View Full Version : Old tickets with days remaining

Narawen
03-05-2011, 07:30 PM
I have an old ticket from 2005 that was a 5 day park hopper. I'm pretty sure I only used 3 (and maybe 2) days from it back then, because I had other old tickets to use up. I know that Disney can't tell you if and how many days remain until you get to the resort, but had a few questions.

1. Obviously for it to be usable now, it would have had to be a no expiration ticket. Is there a way to tell if it was from looking at the ticket? The writing on the back indicates it was a 5 day hopper, but doesn't say no expiration on it.

2. If I bought a 2 day base MYW ticket, and planned to upgrade upon arrival, could they transfer days from this old park hopper onto a normal MYW ticket, or would I have to pay for the hopper option for the new ticket? I don't want the hopper option on any of the days, so would want the old "hopper" days just transferred as regular days.

magicofdisney
03-05-2011, 09:57 PM
I don't know if non-expiring tickets are marked. If the ticket is still usable, you'll want to update it (by using one day on the ticket) before upgrading. This will allow you to do a simple upgrade without a price adjustment and an upgrade.

There are a couple of people on here (CleveRocks and Goofy4TheWorld-with the same avatar to boot), who can give you exact answers. Hopefully either one will come along.

Goofy4TheWorld
03-06-2011, 09:20 AM
There are a couple of people on here (CleveRocks and Goofy4TheWorld-with the same avatar to boot), who can give you exact answers. Hopefully either one will come along.
Who, me??

1. Obviously for it to be usable now, it would have had to be a no expiration ticket. Is there a way to tell if it was from looking at the ticket? The writing on the back indicates it was a 5 day hopper, but doesn't say no expiration on it.

I have no idea if a ticket indicates whether or not it has the no-expiration option or not. I would imagine that it depends partly on where the ticket was purchased. I have some non-expiring tickets that were purchased at the Disney Store in 2004 at home that I will check (I am currently at "work").

Where did you purchase your old tickets?

2. If I bought a 2 day base MYW ticket, and planned to upgrade upon arrival, could they transfer days from this old park hopper onto a normal MYW ticket, or would I have to pay for the hopper option for the new ticket? I don't want the hopper option on any of the days, so would want the old "hopper" days just transferred as regular days.
I do know this one. Tickets cannot be merged at all. You can't combine days from different tickets in any way, nor can you change PH days for non-PH days or anything like that. The only thing you can do is use the two tickets separately and keep up with which-one-has-what left on it.

Of course, depending on the exact circumstances surrounding your trip and how many totals days you need park tickets for, it might be to your benefit to leave the old tickets at home and only use them on a future short trip. But that depends on how long your next trip is going to be.

CleveRocks
03-06-2011, 12:37 PM
I'm sorry, I was at the gym, did I miss something???:mickey:

Goofy pretty much covered it. If you tell us how many days you'll be going to parks, we can advise you specifically on whether or not it';s worth it to use them or if you should just leave them home. The amount of money atstake either way might really surprise you.

Tell us, and we'll show you the math.

magicalmom
03-06-2011, 06:20 PM
We write on our tickets with a Sharpie - it's the only way we can remember what we've used, what we haven't, what doesn't expire and what does.

Narawen
03-06-2011, 07:27 PM
I'm sorry, I was at the gym, did I miss something???:mickey:

Goofy pretty much covered it. If you tell us how many days you'll be going to parks, we can advise you specifically on whether or not it';s worth it to use them or if you should just leave them home. The amount of money atstake either way might really surprise you.

Tell us, and we'll show you the math.

I need 4 total park days. Thinking back to that trip, if the ticket is no expiration, I'm almost certain it has 3 days remaining. I was debating for this upcoming trip, buying a one-day pass for myself, checking the old ticket at the resort, and depending on if it's usable or not, upgrading my 1 day pass to a 4 day. I understand not being able to combine tickets, that's just more of a convenience. I just didn't want to spend $150 if I didn't have to.

And I'm fairly certain the old ticket was bought through AAA.

disneymom15
03-06-2011, 09:50 PM
We have some tickets from 2007 with days left on them. It says on the back of ours, no expiration. My guess, if your doesn't say no expiration, they probably have expired.

Goofy4TheWorld
03-06-2011, 10:44 PM
I need 4 total park days. Thinking back to that trip, if the ticket is no expiration, I'm almost certain it has 3 days remaining. I was debating for this upcoming trip, buying a one-day pass for myself, checking the old ticket at the resort, and depending on if it's usable or not, upgrading my 1 day pass to a 4 day. I understand not being able to combine tickets, that's just more of a convenience. I just didn't want to spend $150 if I didn't have to.

And I'm fairly certain the old ticket was bought through AAA.

First, if you are going to be purchasing your new tickets outright (not part of a package reservation) then you are wise to buy a one-day pass until you determine what you have on your old ticket (which will not be until you arrive at Disney).

Second, my 2004 tickets purchased at the Disney Store with the PH option (actually they were called "Park Hopper Plus Tickets" back in 2004) do not indicate they are non-expiring even though I know they are (I have the original receipt taped to them). So it appears that it is a jump-ball as to whether or not a non-expiring ticket says so on the ticket somewhere.

If, like you say, you have 3 old days and would only need a 1-day ticket to cover the entire trip, the difference between a 4-day ticket and a 1-day ticket is $150 ($82 for the 1-day pass, $232 for the 4-day pass). I think saving $150 would make using the old ticket worth using, but that is up to you.

If you had an old 2-day pass instead of a 3-day one, the difference would be $70 ($162 vs $232), which would be a toss-up IMO whether to use it or not. That would depend on whether you could ever see yourself on a trip to Disney for only 2 days. If you can see that in your future, keep the old tickets unused, if not just use them up!

PS: All prices quoted do NOT include tax.

Scar
03-07-2011, 10:09 AM
Second, my 2004 tickets purchased at the Disney Store with the PH option (actually they were called "Park Hopper Plus Tickets" back in 2004) do not indicate they are non-expiring even though I know they are (I have the original receipt taped to them). So it appears that it is a jump-ball as to whether or not a non-expiring ticket says so on the ticket somewhere.When did MYW begin? Weren't all tickets non expiring before then, therefore having no need for distinction?

Narawen
03-07-2011, 11:41 AM
First, if you are going to be purchasing your new tickets outright (not part of a package reservation) then you are wise to buy a one-day pass until you determine what you have on your old ticket (which will not be until you arrive at Disney).

Second, my 2004 tickets purchased at the Disney Store with the PH option (actually they were called "Park Hopper Plus Tickets" back in 2004) do not indicate they are non-expiring even though I know they are (I have the original receipt taped to them). So it appears that it is a jump-ball as to whether or not a non-expiring ticket says so on the ticket somewhere.

If, like you say, you have 3 old days and would only need a 1-day ticket to cover the entire trip, the difference between a 4-day ticket and a 1-day ticket is $150 ($82 for the 1-day pass, $232 for the 4-day pass). I think saving $150 would make using the old ticket worth using, but that is up to you.

If you had an old 2-day pass instead of a 3-day one, the difference would be $70 ($162 vs $232), which would be a toss-up IMO whether to use it or not. That would depend on whether you could ever see yourself on a trip to Disney for only 2 days. If you can see that in your future, keep the old tickets unused, if not just use them up!

PS: All prices quoted do NOT include tax.

Thanks so much! Keeping fingers crossed they were no-expiration.

PopPhan
03-07-2011, 11:48 AM
When did MYW begin? Weren't all tickets non expiring before then, therefore having no need for distinction?

I believe the MYW tickets started in 2005.

In September of 2003, they we had the Ultimate Park Hopper style -- that was my first trip and I remember the change before our next visit, in September of 2005.

Goofy4TheWorld
03-07-2011, 12:22 PM
Been poking around the web, and..

Magic Your Way replaced the old system of ticketing (which gave non-expiring tickets to everyone) on January 2, 2005. So my 2004 tickets were "old tickets" that never expired without having to pay extra for that feature.

The OP has 2005 tickets, but if those tickets were actually purchased in 2004 (in preparation for a 2005 trip) they would automatically be non-expiring. IF they were actually purchased in 2005 then it depends on whether they paid for the non-expiring option.