PDA

View Full Version : Aquaduck question

luvkatiebug
03-05-2011, 01:27 PM
I saw somewhere on another website that the height for the Aquaduck had been lowered to 42 inches from 48. Does anyone know if this is true? That would be good for my 6 year old b/c I was afraid she might not make the height requirement. Thanks. :mickey:

Imalismom
03-05-2011, 05:34 PM
yes, it is true, the height limit has been lowered.

Ed
03-05-2011, 10:24 PM
As of 2/25/11, the requirement has been lowered to 42 inches, as long as the child rides on the same raft with someone over 14 years old.

BrerGnat
03-07-2011, 11:37 AM
The official rule is:

Children between 42 and 54 inches may not ride alone. They need to ride with another rider 14 years or older.

Children under 7 years old ALSO may not ride alone, regardless of height.

I'm very happy about this! We are planning a trip on the Dream for next summer and I'm not sure both my kids would have made the 48" requirement.

Ian
03-07-2011, 02:08 PM
Honestly, I'm sort of surprised there's that kind of height restriction. Overall, I thought it was pretty benign. More of a nice, fun ride than anything crazy.

BrerGnat
03-07-2011, 03:16 PM
Honestly, I'm sort of surprised there's that kind of height restriction. Overall, I thought it was pretty benign. More of a nice, fun ride than anything crazy.

Ian, I think it's more of a liability thing. I know that open slides over a certain height need to have a height minimum for insurance purposes, at least Stateside. Since the Disney company probably has their ships insured by a U.S. company, those guidelines apply on the ships. Several other cruise ship companies have slides on their boats, and they all have at least a 48" height requirement (excluding "kiddie" slides). I've looked into it extensively, as my boys are OBSESSED with water slides.

Since the Aquaduck is almost entirely enclosed, there was probably enough wiggle room to lower the requirement, assuming an adult would accompany a smaller child.

Also, I know that the Aquaduck issue specifically is due to WEIGHT. There have been several reports of smaller children getting stuck, when riding alone, even when they did meet the 48" requirement. So, to remedy that, it seems they have changed the requirements so that smaller kids (under 54") wouldn't be riding alone and risk getting stuck.

Momto3littlemice
03-18-2011, 09:10 AM
I am SOO excited to hear this! We are cruising the Fantasy next summer and I was so afraid my middle son wasn't going to make the 48. He is already 42 so we are good to go! Hooray -- one less meltdown to worry about!:mickey:

MarkC
03-18-2011, 02:09 PM
Ok, another question. My wife and I are going without any kids and I doubt she will want to do this. Can you ride this alone or do you need to find someone to tag along?

BrerGnat
03-18-2011, 02:23 PM
Ok, another question. My wife and I are going without any kids and I doubt she will want to do this. Can you ride this alone or do you need to find someone to tag along?

Adults can ride alone. I believe they have single tubes available as well as double ones.

You better do it! Such a cool feature for a cruise ship. :cool: