PDA

View Full Version : Dilemma

Pop Centurion
03-03-2011, 03:33 PM
I waited too long last year to book the free dining offer & missed out. (stupid me)
So last month I got a 40% value PIN code & booked with the hopes of a free DDP offer in the future that I can switch to.

Yesterday I got another PIN for free DDP but the arrival dates end a month earlier than we planned to go.

So now I don't know if I should wait for the possibility of another PIN or the chance of an offer to the general public during the historic dates.

My current trip is Sept 3rd to the 17th. If I take the DDP offer I would go Aug 13th to the 27th.
With the free DDP (but upgrading from the QS to the basic) I would save $500.
But......
1. I'm already past the 180 day ADR's so there's a chance I won't get many of our dinning choices.
2. Crowd levels are a little higher.
3. Slightly more rain in August.
4. Won't be able to attend MNSSHP

I can obviously check dining for availability before I book but if places are unavailable it would put a damper on our trip as we have many traditional favorites.

So what's everyone's opinion?

AllDisney
03-03-2011, 03:37 PM
I think I'd stay with your original plans.

BraddyB
03-03-2011, 03:59 PM
How many people are going? I know when we went last year it was cheaper for my wife and I, to use a 40% off a deluxe and pay for the ddp. It was going to cost us more with free dining staying at a deluxe. If we had kids the free dining would have been in our best interest.

MarkC
03-03-2011, 04:48 PM
Are you flying, and do you already have airline tickets? Unless you're on SW you'll have to pay to change those dates, plus any higher fares. Its probably going to be hotter (but not much) and more crowded in August. I would stick with your original plans. Or go twice.

Pop Centurion
03-03-2011, 05:13 PM
BraddyB - just my wife & I. We stay at Pop so the free DDP saves us much more than the 40% room discount when booking the exact same package.

MarkC - No flight yet so that's no problem. I wish I could go twice (or more)

gerald72
03-03-2011, 06:45 PM
I'd stick with your original plans.
Isn't your room discount comparable to the free dining discount?

PopPhan
03-03-2011, 06:53 PM
I'd stick with your original plans.
Isn't your room discount comparable to the free dining discount?

On a Value Resort room, the dining plan is almost ALWAYS the better deal financially. The only exception might be for a single person in a room, then it's about even (when upgrading from QS DDP to Standard DDP)

akaDisneyDreamer
03-03-2011, 08:09 PM
I'd stick with the original plan. Are you using Magical Journey's? If so they will keep a watch out and if a free dining plan opens up for the dates you've already planned, will move you into that deal if it is a better offer. We went in mid August last year and it was unbearably hot. Also if you are planning on going to the MNSSHP, do you really want to give that up for free dining? :mickey:

Pirate Granny
03-04-2011, 07:49 AM
I believe last year they had some paRties the end of august. I'm going in September with free dining...but it was with the bounce back offer...done it five years now...book while we are on current trip for the following years...can switch dates around...and can get rebate if don't use...but I always do.

Staying at Pop and got regular dining plan and NOT QS plan.

BrerSchultzy
03-04-2011, 09:33 AM
I would say it depends on what you think of as a successful vacation.

If you go in August, you may not get your traditional favorite restaurants, but it'll be a chance to find some new places you've never tried before (and with the DDP, most restaurants are similar in quality now). Saving that $500 (and airfare is usually cheaper in August than September so there's a couple bucks) could mean you get to try other things that you've never done before, like Cirque du Soleil, carriage rides, a walking tour, etc.

If you are like my brother's family, you have your favorites, and missing those means missing the true experience. In that case, I'd stick with the September dates and remember that we don't go on vacation to save money.

Just my two cents. Have fun!