PDA

View Full Version : F&W Festival w/ a few complications

jonahbear2006
03-03-2011, 04:26 AM
Ok, so FW is booked for 16 nights(crazy i know) and my husband is only going to be there for the first 3 and the last 3, in order to help get me and the kids there and back home but is going to fly home for the work week and fly back on the last weekend and needs to get to the resort to meet back up with us. First question, is this going to be super confusing for him to magical express one way each time? Will Disney be able to accommodate this? 2nd question, what do I need to know about food and wine festival? I will be there with my 5 children for the majority of the trip as the only adult in our party. Are there parts of F&W that the children will enjoy? Should I be avoiding Epcot at night? I hear it can get kinda drunk. I have never ventured out on my own with the kiddos like this but I feel it will be a good thing for me. Still a little nervous but if I were to ever do it, this is where I'd wanna be doing it. Single mothers have to do this sort of thing, Im sure. I guess I am co-dependent but just need a little reassurance that I am not the only one who has ever conquered disney world with kids on her own. This allows me to do the photography I want to do, visit the resorts we haven't seen, do some homeschooling in the parks, participate more in Fort Wilderness's campground attractions, and just really fumble around the world with the kiddos and not just park pound and ride.

Daisy'sMom
03-03-2011, 07:48 AM
I can't answer all of your concerns but I am sure that Epcot is safe no matter how many foolish people over indulge. :mickey:
Five children and one adult. You are brave.

Madame Leona
03-03-2011, 08:47 AM
We've been to the F&W Festival with our kids and it is very kid friendly. The only reason we've found to avoid it in the evenings is the crowds. I think a lot of people choose to end their day there.
Out of curiosity, how old are your children? I hear five kids and one adult and get goose-bumps. I feel outnumbered with two :)

deedeenmickey
03-03-2011, 08:55 AM
I have taken my children to WDW alone. I only have two and I think they were 6 and 10 at the time. It was wonderful! I don't think you'll have a problem with drunks at Epcot. I have been to F&W twice and never had a problem. I hope you and your children have a great time. Disney is a very educational place!:mickey:

BraddyB
03-03-2011, 09:19 AM
I know people over indulge shall we say at the f&w, but its easily avoidable. Its nothing that should alarm you. I haven't seen anything bad, just people talking louder than they normally would. You might be better off hitting some rides in the am, moving back to the countries in the afternoon, then after dinner heading back for some rides.

Mom to a Princess and a Prince
03-03-2011, 10:17 AM
My suggestion - Avoid Epcot on the weekends of the F & W Festival. We were there in 2010 and I made the rookie mistake of going to Epcot on a Saturday. It was absolutely mobbed! We went to Epcot again on Wednesday and it was practically a ghost town compared to the weekend! Have a great trip!

DizNut42
03-03-2011, 10:43 AM
For the Magical Express part - I'm not sure they will do the trips in the middle, just the initial coming and going. Call them to check, maybe they would. If not, he can take the local city bus. I did this last Nov. Cost $2 to ride from Orlando Airport to the TTC. Same cost back. I had no problem with my carry-on bag on the bus. Took about 1 hour. I found it very convenient. Can't beat the price...

jonahbear2006
03-03-2011, 01:13 PM
hmm, i hadnt thought about the city bus. I just assumed that if he didnt get the ME, that we would take him and go get him. but thanks ill ask him if hes up for that. our kids will be 11, 9, 7, 5, and 15mths old during this trip. My kids are very well behaved and they know their way around at disney world. My concerns have nothing to do with having my 5 children. I have them on me all the time, since they are homeschooled, and I am used to doing things alone with them. Weve been to st.louis alone and that is more concerning to me than camping with them in disney world. The idea of driving there alone with them was a nervous idea though.

sainter
03-03-2011, 02:29 PM
It sounds like you will have a car to get to Disney World and home? Your husband is only going to fly home for the week in the middle of the stay? Then he certainly can use ME to get to and from the airport. Call the ME line directly to get it set up!

Fangorn
03-03-2011, 03:54 PM
Your husband will have no problem using DME to go to the airport and then back to the resort. I've done this a couple of times when I had to do a quick business trip in the middle of the vacation. As a resort guest, you are entitled to a trip from the airport and a trip to the airport. They don't care in what order you do them.

All you have to do is call ME directly and tell them what you need to do. They'll ask for flight numbers and set it all up. You may need to go to your resorts concierge desk and get an ME voucher, but the ME folks will walk you through it.

It's no big deal. Really easy, the ME folks are fantastic to work with.

Steve

jonahbear2006
03-04-2011, 05:21 AM
awesome ! that is good to know. yes, he cant afford to take more time off but I really needed the time away with the kids and he will be heartbroken to have to return for work but he says that he really wants us to be able to do this so I am just very thankful that we have such a loving daddooo. Took us awhile to come upon this brilliant plan. before he was just going to have me drive down there alone but this gets him a 6 day vacation with us in the parks at just the extra cost of his flight. we cant turn that down.

jonahbear2006
03-04-2011, 02:56 PM
if i were to buy each of the children a disney gift card with the bracelet for the F&W, what would be a good increment for them to use for snacks for the week. and can we use these in the other parks too or just for epcot? i dont know how much their food samples run for F&W. I know most snacks are about $3.99. I was thinking id buy the older kids their own card and then when their money ran out they were just done for the trip. teach some responsibility and maybe curb some of my oldest daughter's impulsiveness she seems drawn to.

mudpuppysmom
03-07-2011, 01:45 PM
Someone else already suggested that you stay away from Epcot on the weekends, but your DH will be with you to help "keep watch" for rowdy park guests....and really I have only ever seen a few of them at the F&W fest that were really beyond drunk and needed to be home.

Second....I have had kids alone with me at the world and as long as everyone is on board with behavior you will have absolutely no problem at all! You have a 9 and 11 yr old and they can help with the younger ones just as I suspect they do at home.

When I had five kids with me (not all mine) I made sure everyone knew the game plan ahead of time -- we did not park pound at all, but we did have a LOT of fun! I remember showing parents pics of their kids gnawing on a turkey leg and one parent said, "at least you fed them!" You already have it in your head that you will have a nice pace, not commando park touring, so you will be fine!

I think you will find nothing but reassurance on this board!