PDA

View Full Version : GAC guidelines?

Disney_pups2
03-01-2011, 05:19 PM
Where do we find GAC guidelines? We are traveling in a grand gathering and I am trying to figure out how this will work. Not everyone will be going on a lot of the rides as the SN guest won't be going on some and neither will his little brother. Thoughts?:confused:

BrerGnat
03-01-2011, 06:04 PM
A GAC can be issued for one individual and up to 5 additional group members, for a total of 6 people per GAC.

The special needs person for whom the GAC is issued MUST be riding the attraction in order to utilize the GAC.

If there are two special needs persons per group, and they have similar needs, the GAC can be issued in both their names. Still, the most people that can go through a ride using an alternate entrance or whatever is SIX TOTAL.

I'd recommend using a combination of Fastpass and the GAC. Also, be okay with splitting up your group at times.

watchaminnie
03-01-2011, 07:03 PM
This is why I don't like doing large groups at Disney- special needs or not! Thank goodness for cell phones. I'd say split up, come together for a meal or maybe a show.
We did use the GAC even when my SN son did not or could not ride but that was mostly because even if he wasn't riding he was waiting, often in the line as we'd do a "baby swap". For example he wasn't able to do Tower of Terror but the rest of us all wanted to do it. We'd do the ride in two shifts with a "baby swap" and our SN son was in line with us that whole time.

AXOAlum
03-15-2011, 10:55 PM
Question about doctor's note... DS 8 has special needs mainly related to anxiety issues. Last year we took a dr note ( we paid our regular co-pay for the note itself) but the cm didn't even read it when I presented it to her. We are going again in May & I wonder if I even need to bother with it this time. Our insurance & co- pay have increased so don't want to pay extra if it's not needed.

Edited to clarify... The CM didn't read the note but did issue the GAC w.out any problem... Didn't want it to sound like we were turned down or something.

Disney_pups2
03-16-2011, 06:18 PM
This is why I don't like doing large groups at Disney- special needs or not! Thank goodness for cell phones. I'd say split up, come together for a meal or maybe a show.
We did use the GAC even when my SN son did not or could not ride but that was mostly because even if he wasn't riding he was waiting, often in the line as we'd do a "baby swap". For example he wasn't able to do Tower of Terror but the rest of us all wanted to do it. We'd do the ride in two shifts with a "baby swap" and our SN son was in line with us that whole time.

The swap is something I considered. We are taking several new people with us and I am very "family oriented" and we are all family. 4 that are going are either my kids or my nephew, 3 of which are SN. Only 1 SN requires a gac. BUt thank you for the swap idea. I had considered that with the GAC but wasn't sure if that would work. Would mind more details on how it worked for you?

Disney_pups2
03-16-2011, 06:21 PM
Question about doctor's note... DS 8 has special needs mainly related to anxiety issues. Last year we took a dr note ( we paid our regular co-pay for the note itself) but the cm didn't even read it when I presented it to her. We are going again in May & I wonder if I even need to bother with it this time. Our insurance & co- pay have increased so don't want to pay extra if it's not needed.

Edited to clarify... The CM didn't read the note but did issue the GAC w.out any problem... Didn't want it to sound like we were turned down or something.

I had a discussion on whether or not to even get a GAC earlier on in this discussion group "Child with leg braces" and there were some interesting ideas and thoughts there. One of which, a person had mentioned that it is against HIPPA regs to ask or view a document such as that. They need to just "believe" you and issue it according to your word. Another lady had said that she had taken her SN (autism) I believe and they explained the problems and was issued a GAC no problem.

TexansInNY
03-21-2011, 04:21 PM
We went in December - got a GAC for autistic son with chromosome disorder. Had note from doc but like you they did not read it (was in an envelope I offered) - no doubt related to HIPAA. They gave us everything we needed including stroller as a wheelchair which was fantastic for when we had to wait. Very little waiting overall - no issues from other guests - in fact most were overtly curteous (had worried having read other folks' encounters). The thing was a Godsend. In fact a good bit of the time they almost "leaped" into action when we entered. Good one DW!