PDA

View Full Version : Disney Photo Shoot - not so magical

Momto3littlemice
03-01-2011, 11:51 AM
We decided a few months ago to surprise my parents with a Disney photo shoot at the GF for their anniversary this year. My sis called a few weeks ago and they told us that we couldn't book it until March (for March 10th) and that there would be a 20 min or 40 min option.

She called back yesterday (a day early) and turns out the system changed and she could have booked it a week prior. The time slot we wanted was gone and now the 40 min option (which we wanted) is gone too! We don't want to go to the 1 hour $400 package... so we are left with 20 min at a less desirable time. The people she spoke with weren't apologetic at all and I hope we are doing the right thing by going for this. I think if we can get one really nice picture of all 11 of us, my parents will be thrilled - I sure hope the photographer is decent! 20 minutes feels like a lot of pressure to get something with a bunch of little kids involved...:mickey:

faline
03-01-2011, 12:05 PM
I suggest calling back a few times - you never know when a cancellation might occur.

Momto3littlemice
03-01-2011, 01:21 PM
Thanks, Faline. That is exactly what I thought -- and it will be great no matter what... we will be in Disney!!! :mickey:

princessjojo
03-01-2011, 01:34 PM
I understand your frustrations, and 20 minutes isn't a lot of time, especially for a group of 11. But I think you'll be surprised at how many shots you can get done in that time. But I would still try to get the time frame you preferred.

We did a photo shoot elsewhere on one of our vacations, a family of 4 for maybe 30 minutes and walked away with about 100 proofs.

Hopefully your photographer will be familiar with your location and have enough experience to know how to get down to business. Good luck and hope you get the pictures you're hoping for.

forever a child
03-01-2011, 02:27 PM
Hopefully your photographer will be familiar with your location and have enough experience to know how to get down to business. Good luck and hope you get the pictures you're hoping for.

If they have worked in the resort before...they know exactly where they want to go and what they want to do. The only challenge will be to get you guys to follow suit. My suggestion...when you all get lined up like he/she wants you...make sure that you adults watch the photographer and NOT the kids. Cant tell you how many great shots are lost cause the parents/grandparents are watching the kids trying to get them to look up at the photographer. Then in the second they (the kids) do...the adults are all looking down at the kids. No Good! It will waste your time... and limit how many good photos you end up with...so let her deal with that and you focus on you (make sure everyone in your party is aware of this rule for the shoot). Just my :twocents: since I was a photographer for years.

Momto3littlemice
03-01-2011, 03:58 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Any other photography tips would be most appreciated. I am thinking we will likely choose all outdoor shots as I don't think an inexperienced photographer without a separate flash is going to do that well inside. So, I am hoping to do 2 locations -- hopefully they will help us pick and hopefully one will include beach! We are planning to wear coordinating outfits and bare feet.

I so agree about looking at the kids. You are SO SO SO right! My big issue is that the older kids try to make the little ones laugh so they end up looking ridiculous in many shots! Good memories sure to follow :mickey:

WDWFanatic
03-01-2011, 03:59 PM
Great tip about having the adults look, I can see how that would happen a lot.

I would also try calling back, maybe try talking to a manager. I bet you will be able to get what you want.

What a great gift!

forever a child
03-01-2011, 04:41 PM
What resort are you having your Photo setting at? That will make a difference. We had ours at the Poly and the indoor area by the waterfall was nice. But my favorite photos were by the Bamboo polls and sitting on the rocks out alongside the building.

If you are using the GF...I would avoid white or light colors. The GF is already all white so there is sometimes too little of a contrast. Also, what time of day will determine what locations are better than others. You don't want to be out in light so bright that you are all squinting. We had that problem for couple of shots where we were looking into the light. We tried it but really ending up having to move and I ended up looking grumpy, LOL. We did a couple with our sunglasses on eventually and I liked those. There were only 2 of us...so it was much easier to do new things and new locations. We ended up with about 60 decent photos minus all the goofy shots.

I always blink with a flash and yes...they will use a fill flash for inside or out if they need it. So I was closing my eyes a couple of times with that.