PDA

View Full Version : sending luggage to onsite disney hotel

sherriepaul
02-28-2011, 12:55 PM
I'm sure this has been mentioned before somewhere, so please forgive me! Has anyone sent a box to their on site disney hotel? We are trying to see what is all involved with sending our luggage(or at least a box with our clothes) to the hotel. How soon do we send it, will they hold it till we arrive, etc.?

Also how to go about sending the box back to us, would be helpful too!
Thanks so much!

faline
02-28-2011, 02:13 PM
You can send a box to your resort ahead of your arrival. Please be sure to have your reservation number and date of arrival noted on your box. Some resorts (primarily those with convention facilities may charge you for storing the box until your arrival).

BrerGnat
02-28-2011, 02:19 PM
At a point, it does not become cost effective to ship a box of clothes. You have to consider the costs involved with doing that vs. checking bags on the plane. Shipping rates have gone way up in recent years. As an example, I sent a box to the Beach Club last year. This box only contained non perishable food, diapers, wipes, and some very basic toiletry items. The box was rather large, but did not weigh too much. I think it was around 10lbs. It cost about $25 to ship it to the resort via UPS ground (the cheapest option). We did it mostly because those were expendable items that we would be using during the trip, and not bringing back home with us.

I'd not recommend shipping clothing. It will be VERY heavy and will cost a lot. You can't really ship a suitcase as is; it would have to be packed inside a box.

But, if you do decide to ship a box, make sure you include:

Resort name, address, and PHONE NUMBER
YOUR name, arrival date, and reservation number

They will hold it for you at the resort. I'd recommend shipping with a way to track the package (pay extra for this service, if necessary).

You can ship boxes back home from your resort. They use UPS, I believe. They can do it from the front desk, and they do charge quite a lot, so again, weight the cost effectiveness of doing this before you go.

KylesMom
02-28-2011, 03:16 PM
We routinely ship a box via FedEx 3-day air with snacks, toiletries and other incidentals down a few days before our trip begins. Since my company has a FedEx account with discounted rates, I am able to ship a 25-lb box via 3-day select for a very reasonable amount. It beats paying for the additional checked bag of $50 or thereabouts on American. Perhaps you have something like this available to you?

As mentioned above, make certain you put your name (HOLD FOR GUEST XXX), arrival date, resort name, shipping address of the actual resort and phone number on the box in addition to the shipping label on several sides. Do not ship regular mail (Post Office), as your box will go to a sorting facility first and not directly to the resort.

You can ship boxes back home from your resort. They use UPS, I believe. They can do it from the front desk, and they do charge quite a lot, so again, weight the cost effectiveness of doing this before you go.

This past August, we were informed of a procedural change - at least at Wilderness Lodge. They would not accept the box we wanted to send back. Rather, they referred us to The Contemporary & let us know that we'd have to go to the Business Center there during normal working hours to arrange to have the box shipped back UPS. I know it wasn't a matter of a CM mis-speaking, because they had a brochure behind the counter on the new procedure. I don't know what other resorts have gone to this format, but I'd guess any one of them which doesn't have a dedicated Business Center will direct you elsewhere. It may be inconvenient for you to ship the box back, depending upon where you're staying. Thank goodness we had packed an extra carry-on duffel so that we could get everything home. :blush: I still wouldn't hesitate to send toiletries and snacks down, but we'll do what we need to to avoid sending a box back.

John
02-28-2011, 04:27 PM
Something else to note - when I had something shipped to me at the contemporary in October, they hit me with a "Storage Charge" or something like that. They said every package in our out of the shipping center incurred the fee. I asked if that was just because my package was business related? I was told, no - this would apply to luggage etc.

faline
02-28-2011, 07:30 PM
Something else to note - when I had something shipped to me at the contemporary in October, they hit me with a "Storage Charge" or something like that.

I understand that's true of all the convention resorts. This charge, to my knowledge, has not come up in non-convention resorts.

BrerGnat
02-28-2011, 09:06 PM
We were not charged when we stayed at the Beach Club (and our package arrived a good 4 days before we did). I was told that if we had stayed at the YACHT CLUB, it would have been charged a daily storage fee. I had been counting on having the pay a fee, and was surprised when they said none was due (I figured with the YC/BC being sister resorts, and the box being stored at the YC, I'd have to pay).

sherriepaul
03-01-2011, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the information everyone! We are staying at POFQ, and I do have a friend that owns a shipping type store, so I'm still playing around with the idea. We have 6 months till we go, so I figure 2 weeks before we go we need to see how much it would cost to ship, and I figured also call the resort to check their policies.
Thanks!