PDA

View Full Version : Family of 6

WIMickeymommy
02-28-2011, 12:15 PM
We are beginning the planning process of taking our family of 6 on a Disney cruise. How does the rooming work (stateroom) for a family of 6? We will have DS 10, DS 7, and twin 4 year olds. Would we need to get joining staterooms or are there suites? Any help would be great. Thanks. :mickey:

Ian
02-28-2011, 02:30 PM
We're a family of 6 as well and I have to say this is one of the things that really irks me about DCL. They have no cabins that sleep 6. Even their largest suites on their newest boat only sleep five.

Which means yeah ... you have to book two cabins. I will say, though, that if you're looking at cruising the Disney Dream I wouldn't hesitate to grab an inside cabin. They are really, really nice and much more cost effective than a verandah room.

Basket Mommy
02-28-2011, 03:15 PM
Another family of 6 here, and yes, that's the thing that has kept us from cruising with Disney. Getting 2 staterooms puts a Disney cruise way out of our budget, unfortunately.

llamaface
02-28-2011, 05:41 PM
What cruise lines do have staterooms that accomodate 6 or more in a room? Just curious for future planning.

Basket Mommy
02-28-2011, 07:21 PM
I'm not sure many do. I can tell you that Carnival does not. We just took a trip on the Fantasy in June and had to get 2 staterooms.

Imalismom
02-28-2011, 09:40 PM
On the Magic and Wonder, they do have suites that will sleep 6. Don't overlook those!

PrettyMinnie
03-01-2011, 11:12 AM
We are a family of 6 as well, and have cruise on another cruise line before with the addition of 2 grandparents. We got 3 adjoining rooms that worked out perfectly for us. It gave us more space (you kind of need it on a cruise) and even with needing to pay for more rooms, it was more cost effective than a suite.

For you, because your children are younger than our family's, it would probably work best if one adult was in a room, with 2 children and another adult was in the other room with the 2 other children.

TammiMcMan
03-01-2011, 08:48 PM
I just want to point out that DCL charges adult fares for the first 2 people listed on your reservation, regardless of whether they are adults or kids. So if you do need a second stateroom, your charges will be for 4 adults and 2 children, as opposed to 2 adults/4 children that you're actually travelling with. Just something to keep in mind when you're pricing out connecting rooms vs suites. It can certainly drive the cost up.

Ian
03-02-2011, 10:59 AM
What cruise lines do have staterooms that accomodate 6 or more in a room? Just curious for future planning.I know NCL does ... they have multiple stateroom categories that sleep 6 or more, in fact.

When we cruised them in 2009, our stateroom actually slept up to 10!

I just want to point out that DCL charges adult fares for the first 2 people listed on your reservation, regardless of whether they are adults or kids. So if you do need a second stateroom, your charges will be for 4 adults and 2 children, as opposed to 2 adults/4 children that you're actually travelling with. Just something to keep in mind when you're pricing out connecting rooms vs suites. It can certainly drive the cost up.Yep ... found that out the hard way, as well. I have to say it seems like a very deliberate attempt by Disney to force significant extra cash out of large families. It's actually pretty frustrating and may keep us from cruising with them, even though we really want to.