PDA

View Full Version : Special Moments for Older Kids

steve5
02-28-2011, 10:16 AM
Can anyone suggest some unique experiences or surprises that I can spring on my teenage girls? They love Disney World and have been several times so they know the ropes and have done many of the character things. This is one of those unique vacations in that it will signifiy a turning point. College is not that far off, just started driving etc.. I just want to do something that will "freak" them out a little bit for lack of a better term and let them know that they are still kids.

faline
02-28-2011, 10:21 AM
How about one of the Disney behind the scenes tours?

steve5
02-28-2011, 10:25 AM
One of them does not meet the age limit for most of them (14+). We did the family magic tour when they were younger.

Thanks!!

mouseketeer mom
02-28-2011, 10:32 AM
My girls are soon to be 17 and 15. Last year, my oldest (who had just turned 16) and I took the Around the World on a Segway tour together. This was an absolute hoot. We laughed the entire 2 hours. I highly recommend this as an experience together. We are doing the Wilderness Segway tour next month when we return since we loved it so much! You must be 16 to do it though. Also, renting water mice is tons of fun, they can be in a boat together, or each get their own. We do this each trip too. The GF tea is a more grown up experience, but we do this, just us girls here and again just to have a special experience together. And...my oldest did the BBB last year on her 16th BD, and played princess for the day. Any age can do this, as long as they are young at heart!

Dulcee
02-28-2011, 10:44 AM
Several years ago my Sister and I did the Dining with an Imagineer experience with my parents. I was probably 19 and my sister about 15. Both of us and my parents loved the experience and it was probably one of our most memorable disney meals.

You do need advance reservations and while its a little pricey its less then some of the tours, plus you get a meal out of it. We dined at the Brown Derby. There was the four of us and two other couples in addition to the imagineer. We dined in a private room in the Brown Derby and the meal was amazing. It lasted a little over 2 hours and we also received a special plate that our imagineer signed.

The discussions were awesome and we got to ask tons of questions about behind the scenes magic at WDW. Our imagineer also had close ties with the animation departments and we got to ask lots of questions about that.

Its an experience my fiance and I are hoping to do for our honeymoon and one I'd highly recommend to any disney fanatics!

caryrae
02-28-2011, 11:32 AM
Never heard of this tour but it sounds really neat.

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/tours-and-experiences/wild-africa-trek/

Wild Africa Trek operates multiple
times a day starting January 16, 2011

Join the ultimate animal adventure! Journey deep into Pangani Forest on a thrilling, privately guided expedition featuring close encounters with exotic wildlife species. Get closer than you ever dreamed possible to Nile crocodiles and massive hippos. Venture on to a VIP safari across an open savanna teeming with native African creatures!

Once-In-A-Lifetime Experiences

Dozens of massive Nile crocodiles patrol the jungle riverbed. Mammoth hippos move deftly underwater. You are there to see it all!

Adventurers are fitted with an expedition harness that attaches to an overhead track. Once your group reaches the riverbank, get a stunning look at the hippos, just 10 feet below. After a seemingly precarious trek across a rope bridge dangling over a throng of enormous crocodiles, experience another unbelievable view as you hang over the crocs' riverbed lair!

VIP Safari

Enjoy a brief hike onto a sweeping African savanna for a VIP safari, including a visit to an exclusive safari camp with incredible views of everything from towering giraffe to powerful rhinos.

True Life-Adventure

Wild Africa Trek is a jaw-dropping journey only a few Guests get to experience. The expedition is a true encounter with African creatures in their native habitat. Come with us on this Disney True-Life Adventure!

Booking

Call (407) WDW-TOUR or (407) 939-8687 to book your adventure! Guests under age 18 must have parent or guardian permission to call. Wild Africa Trek is not included with standard admission to Disney's Animal Kingdom Park and is only available to Guests age 8 and older.

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-28-2011, 02:02 PM
Don't know if it would fit your budget, but I would think a meal at Victoria and Albert's would be nice...they do not allow kids under 10 so it would be special and they could all dressed up for a special dinner.....

DonaldsBFF
02-28-2011, 02:41 PM
Maybe an early morning horseback ride over at FW followed by lunch at WCC at the WL. We took my wife's younger sisters and they really enjoyed it. They were 16 and 9 at the time. Depends on the time of year you are going though, I would not want to be doing it in the summer months.

NY GOOFY
02-28-2011, 03:13 PM
Last year I took my 2 teenagers parasailing at the Contemporary boat docks. They had a blast. You are flying over Bay lake and can see EPCOT, HS, and of course MK. It was a little pricey, but it was an experience they will never forget.

Janmac
02-28-2011, 06:02 PM
If your girls are athletic, they could do the surfing lessons at Typhoon Lagoon. This is very early in the morning (our grandson grumbled all the way to TL) and involves 2 hours of exercise - paddling on a board and then walking while carrying a board. Both our grandson (15 maybe) and granddaughter (14) were famished afterwards, so we headed to a breakfast buffet for them to get their fill.

They both were able to surf by the end of the two hours. The day they went, there were about 8 or 10 guys, mostly teens, and 3 'girls', two of them being in their 20s. There were 3 instructors who were very good at helping the students learn the basics of surfing. One of the instructors was in the water the whole time.

The lessons are before Typhoon Lagoon opens, and before the busses start running, so you would need transportation over to TL. Some of the students came by taxi. Family members can watch.

I made reservations several months in advance. We were visiting in the winter time, and the surfing day dawned very cold. So cold, TL did not open that day. But the lessons went on, regardless. The students were offered wet suit vests, altho 2 students brought their own full wet suits.

The lessons are work, but are also in the "freaking out" category. Afterwards both kids were pumped at having gotten up on their boards and actually surfed, even if only for a short while. We have good shots of each of them looking like regular surfers - just not in a big curl.

Jan

kemps@wdw
02-28-2011, 10:18 PM
My 17 yr old DD is beggin me to parasail. So, it looks like that's what I'll be doing on our next "World" tour!

KylesMom
03-01-2011, 12:04 AM
I'm sure you are familiar with this, but if you've never done so they could "pick a pearl" and have it set in a necklace, ring, or pair of earrings if they're lucky enough to get a "twin".

While I've never done this, I would think it delightful for daughters to signify the change from child to "young adult" at Disney. And a gift from Dad such as this would remind them that they're still his little girls. :mickey:

FenwayGirl
03-01-2011, 09:38 AM
How about the afternoon tea at the Grand Floridian. ??

steve5
03-01-2011, 10:40 AM
A bunch of great ideas. Thanks!