PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on the Nine Dragons

NJGIRL
02-27-2011, 05:06 PM
We have eaten at a table service in every country with the exception of 4, China being one of them. I never hear anything about this place so does anyone have any thoughts?

A Big Kid
02-27-2011, 05:08 PM
Personally, I can do without it. We ate there once about 10 years ago. It didnt seem much different to us that any run-of-the-mill chinese restaurants near our home except it was much pricier.

DreamFinder2
02-27-2011, 06:16 PM
I agree with Big Kid. Very 'typical' Chinese food, if you ask me. We dined there about 3 years ago.

HoosierDisneyFan
02-27-2011, 07:31 PM
I have eaten there twice. My son (now 14) is a picky eater but likes Chinese food. Both times I would say our meal was good but not great.

I would not have a problem going back sometime but I think there are better choices in World Showcase.

mdhiggin
02-27-2011, 07:38 PM
We've eaten there a couple of times, but we actually prefer the CS in China, Lotus Blossom Cafe. Their orange chicken is great, and the prices are cheaper than Nine Dragons.

akaDisneyDreamer
02-27-2011, 08:55 PM
Wow ... Nine Dragon is a must do for our family! The Honey Sesame Chicken is excellent. I can see I'm outnumbered here, but I highly reccomend it. :thumbsup:

TheRustyScupper
02-28-2011, 01:57 AM
Our Ratings of Nine Dragons:
. . . food price value: B
. . . food quality: C+
. . . food quantity per serving: B
. . . food prep speed: B
. . . food selection: B-
. . . seating quantity: C
. . . seating comfort: C
. . . eatery atmosphere: C
. . . eatery convenience: B
. . . staff friendliness: B
. . . staff helpfulness: B
. . . character interaction: n/a

NOTE: We eat Chinese frequently, and were pleased
by Nine Dragons. Although not the best, we thought it was
quite good for Epcot's typically Americanized meals. The
Beijing Chicken was surprising good. I can't count Nine
Dragons as fine dining, but certainly well above average.

NJGIRL
02-28-2011, 08:53 AM
Thanks for the input everyone! :mickey: I think we might go ahead and try it since I would like to eat at a table service in all of the countries at least once as long as the food is not terrible. As far as it being overpriced, I don't like it, but we usually pay more while on vacation for the same quality food we get at home. It's just something we put up with. We like Teppan Edo but can get the same food at home for less.

I'm thinking about France also, but I am a vegetarian. I see they have a type of mac & cheese there. Has anyone tried it or has anyone had another vegetarian dish there?

MarkC
02-28-2011, 09:17 AM
I agree that if you're getting close to eating at all the TS countries, its a must do. I do agree with Mdhiggin that the Lotus Blossom Cafe is very tasty and reasonably priced.

Crow
02-28-2011, 03:11 PM
I like Chinese. But the last time i tried it I was dissapointed. Lotus Blossom wasnt too bad though

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-28-2011, 04:38 PM
Personally, I would try Chefs de France over Nine Dragons and their vegetarian selections look pretty good

SBETigg
02-28-2011, 06:27 PM
We have eaten at a table service in every country with the exception of 4, China being one of them. I never hear anything about this place so does anyone have any thoughts?

What are your other 3, just curious. The WS restaurants I haven't tried yet are Nine Dragons and Akershus. Also, I've eaten in Italy, but not at Tutto Italia.

ElenitaB
02-28-2011, 07:09 PM
I've gotten sick from the food at Lotus Blossom(twice... gave them the benefit of the doubt and returned unfortunately). However, I did go with some lovely friends to Nine Dragons and was pleasantly surprised. They do have some innovative dishes (the noodle sampler comes to mind); however, as a vegetarian your choices are severely limited: a stir-fry with tofu (with or without peanuts) is about the best they can do.

I think you may do better at Via Napoli or Chefs de France. At the latter, you could choose from a salad, a tomato and goat cheese flat bread, the mac and cheese you mentioned and also a vegetable lasagna. Via Napoli has several vegetarian choices on the menu.

greengeen
02-28-2011, 08:37 PM
As a vegetarian, I found my options at Nine Dragons very limited and disappointing. My corner take-out place has a lot more veggie dishes, and better tasting, too.

I really like Le Chefs de France. They have a tomato & goat cheese flatbread that I love, and a good cheese plate appetizer. The bread they serve is hot, crusty, and delicious! And I always have a glass of bubbly.

SBETigg
02-28-2011, 11:13 PM
The mac and cheese at Chefs de France is delicious. If you haven't been to Chefs, it's definitely a good one to try. Via Napoli's Margherita pizza is also good.

Ellen, Lotus Blossom is one of my least favorite CS choices. I'm not surprised to read your reaction to it.

JPL
03-01-2011, 10:04 AM
I have tried Nine Dragon several times and was disappointed each time I ate there. I just felt my local Chinese Take-out place was much and better and about 1/4 of the price. I just didn't think the quality of the food and portion size were worth the price.

Scar
03-01-2011, 12:21 PM
I did go with some lovely friends to Nine Dragons and was pleasantly surprised. They do have some innovative dishes (the noodle sampler comes to mind); however, as a vegetarian your choices are severely limited: ...Agreed. I wonder if the people who don't like it order something they would normally order at a take out place? I ordered something unique and it was great. I won't comment on the price except to say that everything in WDW is more expensive, I just accept it, order, and enjoy.

darthmacho
03-01-2011, 05:02 PM
I disagree with the detractors. My home town has many fabulous Chinese restaurants, and the meal I had at ND was on par with the best. I'm not claiming "authentic" Chinese cuisine, but quality and care taken towards the taste and presentation of their food.
We ate there in 2003.
I'd suggest trying it and forming your own opinion. I too want to try all the WS restaurants, with Germany, UK, Japan, 2 in Italy, and the new one in Mexico left to try. :mickey:

NJGIRL
03-01-2011, 06:44 PM
What are your other 3, just curious.

The 4 countries we haven't tried table service at are China, Germany, Morocco and France.
We have been to the rest. Germany & Morocco are at the bottom of the list because I don't think I could get my husband to eat anything on the Moroccian menu and the same can be said for me and Germany, which is ashame because I bet the entertainment is fun at both places.

We have had lunch at the Lotus Blossom and thought it was good but I want to try and hit a table service in each country.

We are not foodies so as long as it's decent we are happy. We are not big eaters either so I welcome smaller portions most of the time. It doesn't take a whole lot to make us happy when it comes to food, just as long as the dessert selection is good. :blush:

SBETigg
03-01-2011, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the rundown. Germany was fun once, not a repeat for me. Most fun for families with little ones, I think. The food is okay, but not spectacular for me. Morocco is okay, but not for everyone- so maybe a good call on skipping it. France has ups and downs, but it's generally very good with good veggie options. I would be willing to try China's TS, we just haven't gotten around to it. Good luck with your choice and I'll be eager to hear what you decided and how it went. :thumbsup:

MississippiDisneyFreak
03-02-2011, 01:31 PM
We tried both Morocco and Germany last year...we liked Germany fine and the band was fun...we did not like Morocco at all...we did Chefs de France a few years ago and thought it was pretty good.....we've never eaten at China before and probably won't because there are so many Chinese restaurants around here it wouldn't seem special to us

pamickeys
03-02-2011, 03:37 PM
The food at Lotus Blossom is just as good as inside

EpcotFan182
03-03-2011, 01:14 PM
I haven't eaten at Nine Dragons since they remodeled it, but overall I liked it. The menu selections were typical Chinese food choices, but I thought the quality of the food vs. take out was a little higher.

Jared
03-03-2011, 02:16 PM
I have tried Nine Dragon several times and was disappointed each time I ate there. I just felt my local Chinese Take-out place was much and better and about 1/4 of the price. I just didn't think the quality of the food and portion size were worth the price.
I agree. Nine Dragons is perhaps the only restaurant on property to which I have absolutely zero desire to return. My experiences there have been better there than Lotus Blossom Cafe -- but not by much. Greasy, unappetizing Chinese for ridiculous prices. Jade Spoon, my local Chinese delivery place a minute away, is infinitely tastier and cheaper.

Agreed. I wonder if the people who don't like it order something they would normally order at a take out place? I ordered something unique and it was great. I won't comment on the price except to say that everything in WDW is more expensive, I just accept it, order, and enjoy.
I don't mean to sound argumentative, but what did you order? What on the menu -- at least judging by the one currently listed on the official Disney World website -- is at all different than what's offered at your local Chinese joint? I see fried rice, kung pao, pepper beef, sesame chicken and sweet and sour pork, to list a few dishes. Even the most "unique" options -- the shrimp and noodle dish or perhaps the fish -- have counterparts at most take-out places in my experience.

I agree, though, with your general point about the price. Everything at Disney is ridiculously. No use complaining about it if the food is good.

Which is an extremely long-winded way of saying, "Skip Nine Dragons." Of the countries you haven't tried, I recommend France or Morocco.

ElenitaB
03-03-2011, 07:55 PM
The only reason I would ever return to Nine Dragons would be for the noodle sampler dish they offer. I found it to be innovative and had never seen anything like it in my local Chinese restaurants or even in Brooklyn or Manhattan's Chinatowns. The dish was a winner in my books... the rest of the menu was fine but I will admit that I thoroughly enjoyed the company so that made the experience top notch.

One thing's for sure: I will never ever set foot back in Lotus Blossom however. Once was a mistake, twice was a big mistake... a third time could warrant a visit to Celebration Hospital.

Jared
03-03-2011, 09:04 PM
One thing's for sure: I will never ever set foot back in Lotus Blossom however. Once was a mistake, twice was a big mistake... a third time could warrant a visit to Celebration Hospital.
I'm enjoying this game. What would happen with a fourth time? Is there a cemetery in Celebration?

Scar
03-04-2011, 10:26 AM
I don't mean to sound argumentative, but what did you order? What on the menu -- at least judging by the one currently listed on the official Disney World website -- is at all different than what's offered at your local Chinese joint? I see fried rice, kung pao, pepper beef, sesame chicken and sweet and sour pork, to list a few dishes. Even the most "unique" options -- the shrimp and noodle dish or perhaps the fish -- have counterparts at most take-out places in my experience.I honestly can't remember. It was probably 8 or so years ago and I just remember saying to myself I would try something different, and I enjoyed it. This was before the dining plan and they may have generalized the menu like many other places since the DDP came along.

I do have a question for those of you who won't go because you have a Chinese place close by... Do you say the same thing about Mexico, Canada, and Italy? I have a German restaurant nearby that has better food than Biergarten, But I can’t walk out of that restaurant and see Illuminations
;)

BraddyB
03-04-2011, 02:16 PM
I'm enjoying this game. What would happen with a fourth time? Is there a cemetery in Celebration?

Would you still be alive for a chance at number 5 :rotfl:

ElenitaB
03-04-2011, 05:44 PM

Would you still be alive for a chance at number 5 :rotfl:

Hey! :nope: :sob: ... :fresh:

JPL
03-04-2011, 06:38 PM
I do have a question for those of you who won't go because you have a Chinese place close by... Do you say the same thing about Mexico, Canada, and Italy? I have a German restaurant nearby that has better food than Biergarten, But I can’t walk out of that restaurant and see Illuminations
;)

I steer clear of Italian food at WDW! The only Italian food I have ever enjoyed at WDW was recently at Via Napoli. Call me a food snob if you want but sorry Tony's is absolutely terrible, Mama Melrose is just plain awful, and Tutto Italia is average at best! I guess the point I am trying to make here is the same as Jared I don't mind over paying at WDW for a meal if the food is good but over paying for sub-par food isn't something I want to do.

MississippiDisneyFreak
03-04-2011, 06:58 PM
Well, I was one that said we have lots of chinese options and I guess I should have said "good" chinese food as there is a high oriental population in my area and therefore we have access to some pretty good Chinese restaurants...We also are starting to get more "good" Mexican restaurants here since we are getting more Latino immigrants since Katrina.... so we won't be eating in Mexico and will hit the CS if we want Mexican

we have several Italian restaurants yes, but they are Olive Garden type. I like Olive Garden but I understand it doesn't compare to the Italian restaurants up North so I would be willing to try Italian at Disney.......so I guess what I'm saying if its something that's done well locally and it doesn't feel special to me, I would rather try something else while at Disney world

Melanie
03-10-2011, 08:24 AM
My son and I ate at Nine Dragons this past weekend. It was the first time I've eaten there in the almost 30 years of going to Epcot. We liked it fine, but weren't blown away. The check-in CM was curt, and we were seated right below an air-conditioning vent and froze the entire time, but service was good and the food was good and filling.

I was amazed when looking around at other tables how much chicken was on a plate if you ordered a chicken dish. I got the honey sesame chicken and it was really too much chicken.

The dining room is huge, one of the bigger ones of all the World Showcase table service, on the scale with Biergarten and Marrakesh. Beautiful decor though.

Now we only have Akershus to go, and we'll have eaten at every WS table service. :)

Jared
03-10-2011, 10:50 AM
I was amazed when looking around at other tables how much chicken was on a plate if you ordered a chicken dish. I got the honey sesame chicken and it was really too much chicken.

Like most Chinese joints where I live, it seems the dishes at Nine Dragons are served family-style and meant to be shared. Of course, it would probably be too much to ask for the menu to make that clear before you order.

slegrant
03-10-2011, 12:08 PM
Nine Dragons is a must do for my family each trip, we would definatley recommend it:mickey:

Melanie
03-10-2011, 04:06 PM
Like most Chinese joints where I live, it seems the dishes at Nine Dragons are served family-style and meant to be shared. Of course, it would probably be too much to ask for the menu to make that clear before you order.

Well since you only get one little scoop of rice to accompany it, it doesn't seem to be intended as family-style, but the portions of meat sure present it as so. Definitely an idea for next time - order one entree and a side of rice for a dinner for two. :thumbsup:

Jared
03-10-2011, 04:25 PM
Yes, good point. They are a bit stingier with the rice than most Chinese restaurants. At the places near me -- and near you, I suspect -- the regular-size dishes absolutely can serve two people. The dive take-out joints usually offer some sort of "combination platter" that's generally intended for one.

This is by far the most time I've spent discussing Chinese food in my entire life! But since it's Disney Chinese food, that's just fine with me.

KatieDuck22
03-11-2011, 05:15 PM
It was pretty much average chinese food. I wouldn't recommend spending all that money on a typical chinese dinner while in disney. If really looking for something asian try the Habachi in Japan, it has more of an experience. The quick service chinese is a good stop for lunch around the countries.

NJGIRL
03-11-2011, 07:29 PM
We have decided on The Nine Dragons & Chefs de France. Thanks for all of the suggestions. We really aren't picky eaters (so maybe we will be OK) and want to experience all of the countries at least once if possible. For the most part I have liked all of the restaurants in the World Showcase, even when I can get the same food (or better) at home for a lesser cost. The one thing that would ruin my dinner would be the temperature. I hate eating in a cold restaurant.

Melanie
03-11-2011, 07:36 PM
I hate eating in a cold restaurant.

Then Rita, if you find yourself in the situation I was in, ask to be moved. I'm sorry that I didn't at the time. The restaurant was not full, and I'm sure we would have been accomodated.

NJGIRL
03-11-2011, 08:00 PM
Then Rita, if you find yourself in the situation I was in, ask to be moved. I'm sorry that I didn't at the time. The restaurant was not full, and I'm sure we would have been accomodated.

I will do that. At home, if they try to seat me by a door or window I always ask to sit at another table. We went out to dinner a couple of weeks ago with friends. It was a new restaurant with a fairly small dining room. The food was wonderful and we were enjoying being with friends, but I was so cold the entire time. The place was packed so we couldn't move, but I don't think that would have helped anyway because I know they didn't have the AC on in Feb in NJ. It really put a damper on my meal. I almost put my coat back on while I was eating!

NJGIRL
04-13-2011, 09:20 AM
I just made the last of our ADR's for Oct. We decided on doing lunches for the most part.

Breakfast: BOMA

Lunch: Plaza Restaurant
Chefs de France (new for us)
San Angel Inn
Sci Fi

Dinner: Nine Dragons (new for us)
T-Rex (nephews choice)

After this trip we will only have two countries that we haven't eaten it yet.

I only made one ADR per day and now just have to wait to plan the Universal side of the trip.

KatieDuck22
04-14-2011, 01:38 PM
to me (a nj native as well) nine dragons seemed like really expensive...not really breathtaking chinese food. go for a cooler experience in disney!:mickey:

LudwigVonDrake
04-17-2011, 11:00 AM
I can (and do) get better chinese food here on Long Island :mickey:

ransam
04-17-2011, 04:40 PM
the funny thing is i love chinese food, at least 1 time a week we have it....yet I have never eaten chinese food at WDW.

NJGIRL
04-20-2011, 12:50 PM
a nj native as well:

:thumbsup:

BigG007
04-20-2011, 06:18 PM
Interesting posts nine dragons was on my to do list this year

I may have to do a rethink

EJS-Houston
04-21-2011, 02:54 PM
I disagree with the detractors. My home town has many fabulous Chinese restaurants, and the meal I had at ND was on par with the best. I'm not claiming "authentic" Chinese cuisine, but quality and care taken towards the taste and presentation of their food.
We ate there in 2003.
I'd suggest trying it and forming your own opinion. I too want to try all the WS restaurants, with Germany, UK, Japan, 2 in Italy, and the new one in Mexico left to try. :mickey:

I agree with DarthMacho. I live in a city with a plethora of great Chinese restaurants, and I've always enjoyed Nine Dragons...usually going there once every WDW visit.

TheRustyScupper
04-21-2011, 09:22 PM
Our Ratings of Nine Dragons:
. . . food price value: B
. . . food quality: C
. . . food quantity per serving: B
. . . food prep speed: B
. . . food selection: B-
. . . seating quantity: C
. . . seating comfort: C
. . . eatery atmosphere: C
. . . eatery convenience: B
. . . staff friendliness: B
. . . staff helpfulness: B
. . . character interaction: n/a

NOTE: We eat Chinese frequently, and were pleased
by Nine Dragons. Although not the best, we thought it was
quite good for Epcot's typically Americanized meals. The
Beijing Chicken was surprising good. I can't count Nine
Dragons as fine dining, but certainly well above average.