PDA

View Full Version : Getting on a plane with a Disney Pin lanyard

Brainiak5
02-26-2011, 06:59 PM
The kids are planning to wear their lanyards on the flight down. Does anyone know if the TSA considers these contraband and wouldn't let them on the flight? I don't want to risk losing the pins because some agent feels a 9 year old might be posing a threat to homeland security with a Tinkerbell themed pin lanyard. I'd rather pack them and miss a few trading opportunities until we get into the room.

Any advise would be appreciated Thanks :mickey:

BrerGnat
02-26-2011, 07:02 PM
Pack it. Don't risk it.

faline
02-26-2011, 07:51 PM
Many have reported including pins in their carryon luggage without an issue but I don't know how they would feel if someone were actually wearing them.

CleveSJM
02-26-2011, 09:07 PM
Definitely pack them in a carry-on through securty. They will be allowed 99% of the time.

I'd never say 100% because you could get the TSA guy having a bad day living out a power trip. If that happens, always ask for a supervisor loudly so people around hear you as well.

Past security, they can put them on no problem. We've done this before.

DisneyMom12
02-26-2011, 09:20 PM
I have had no problems in the past taking them in my carry on.

yankeesfan123
02-27-2011, 06:06 AM
Yes, of course you can take them!

Don't forget, these days you can also take nail clippers, normal scissors, lighters, matches... things have changed since the days directly following 9/11. TSAs website is a huge help for any questions as to what is allowed and what isn't.

But as a previous poster said, with the thousands and thousands of TSA officers nationwide, not all are created equal. The list of what is allowed/what isn't allowed is so big that it is possible that an officer might think its not allowed. Just ask for a supervisor, it will be cleared up quickly.

Also, if you do put them in your bag, it may give the x-ray attendant a funny looking image on the monitor (because of all the metal), so if they have to take a closer look, don't fret, it doesn't mean they aren't allowed. Jumbled up jewelry/coins/various metals often cause a funny image on an x-ray screen and sometimes needs closer inspection.

Trev&Ev Mom
02-27-2011, 05:32 PM
We've always packed them in our carry on backpack along with a bag of traders...my kids have been know to start trading at the Disney Store at MCO!! My bag will be xrayed and searched, but nothing is taken away...just expect some extra eyes and hands on it, but it will be fine.

beksy
02-28-2011, 12:47 PM
My sister just started collecting pins and she had hers with her on our way home last trip. Of course I got to carry it through security (we put it in the carry-on on the DME) but I didn't have any problems. With the way pin trading has taken off, they are probably so used to seeing them that they don't think twice about it anymore.

javamama
03-01-2011, 07:35 PM
I walk thru the security/tsa checkpoint 5 days a week with a laynard on. No issues, it does have a few pins on there that my company has given out thru the years.

lovinmesomedisney
03-02-2011, 12:31 PM
My daughter ALWAYS carries her pins through the security check points. She has never had a problem, and she has several lanyards, in addition to numerous pins she takes along to trade.

ransam
03-02-2011, 11:58 PM
you know those pins can be really dangerous. they can really cause a huge welt on someone's hand.

Pop Centurion
03-03-2011, 03:51 PM
I never had any problems with them in the carry on. One time I forgot to take one off that I had pinned to the shoulder strap of my camera bag but they didn't say anything.