PDA

View Full Version : Finally heading Back!!!

mgmnut
02-26-2011, 11:26 AM
It has been 5 years since we have last been to WDW. I can't believe I have been able to go this long. Due to one reason or another we have not been able to get back down. Finally now, I am starting to plan the next trip down. I have to say, there is no better vacation to plan than a trip to Disney. Other destination vacation planning seems like work, Disney vacation planning is actually enjoyable with all the different options to choose from. Where to stay, where to make your advanced dining reservations, what EMH to take advantage of, a game plan on how to attack the parks, etc, etc. I am sure I am not telling anyone here on Intercot anything new. These days all vacation planning has become a little more tricky though with new obstacles, and travel dates have become limited. In Prior years we would take the kids out of school for a family vacation and think nothing of it. It's family time, what could be more important? :grouphug: Well, the twins are now 13 and yanking them out of school has its consequences. They miss too much with the work loads kids get in middle school. My son actually refuses to take time out of school because he does not want to play catch up when we get back. I have to respect the fact that he is taking school so seriously, and we will honor his request as to not deter his drive and determination. He just does not want to fall behind. We wanted to go around the holidays last year, but my wife and daughter were both going for thier Black Belts (Very Proud) :clappy:. The trip would have gotten in the way of their training leading up to thier final test. Who wants to go on vacation...and have to watch what you eat.... and get up every morning to run, work out, and train before you go to a park. Some do I know, but I would have to say the majority does not view that as "vacation". BTW, both passed with flying colors and are Black Belts :boxing: (Did I mention how proud I was??) :yay:. We couldn't go during February break because I am now finally in traing to take my BB test soon (Son already has his black belt). This also rules out spring break as my training will not be done. Due to all the snow we have been pelted with this winter up in the Boston area, along with the rest of the Northeast, the kids will be in school until very late June. Moving along to summer (yuck, hot). I have not been to WDW in the summer since I was a kid (long long ago :old:) although, I seem to remember it being swealtering hot and with huge crowds. :flame::crowd:We have always gone off-season in January or May and have been spoiled with the cooler weather and shorter lines. My wife has a big family reunion in August so travel in that month, at least early Aug, is out. That only leaves July. After the long winded post I am finally getting to the point..... We obviously want to avoid the 4th of July timeframe so I am thinking Late July for the trip.

THE POINT:
How many people have gone down in late July that can share some pros and cons with me?? I know parks are open later, less refurbs going on..... Anything else?
How hot is it really late July? Is my memory correct? Because my memory screams "inferno"
How are the lines in late July? Is it 2.5 hrs for Splash mountain Busy?
I want to go sooner than later but is later in August a better choice or will that be just about the same as late July?

I talked to the kids about it and say they could care less about the heat. At least that's what they say now until they are whining "it's too hot" standing in a hour long line in July. They feel Disney in July is better than no Disney at all, and I think I would have to agree. :thumbsup:

Again, sorry for the long winded post, must have too much time on my hands today.

forever a child
02-26-2011, 11:35 AM
I think if July is really the only time you can go....then go! You will have fun after being gone for 5 years. Your kids are older now and should be a little more mature to handle it and I think personally that heat and cold don't bother kids near as much as it bothers us "old people".

Also, just want to give you a heads up that MGM has had a name change to Disney's Hollywood Studios, LOL :thumbsup:

But seriously...if July was the only month my DD and I could go and we wanted a trip...then we would go and deal with the heat and crowds by planning our days out and making sure we have proper clothing for the heat, lots of water and sun screen and the attitude that we can't fit it all into one day and to just roll with it!

We went last May for the first time in 5 year and we had a blast! Best trip ever really because we were like kids in a candy store after missing it for 5 years. Don't know if I could ever wait another 5 years again after that trip.

Hope it works out for you!:mickey:

faline
02-26-2011, 01:42 PM
July is very hot and humid and also quite busy for all the same sorts of reasons you mention in your post.

If you go at this time of year, be sure to use fast pass. Take mid-day breaks back at your resort. Some time swimming and / or relaxing in your air conditioned room will do wonders to revivie hot, wilted folks. Return to the parks in the early evenings when the weather is a bit more tolerable (and, if you're lucky - the afternoon thunderstorm will have occurred while you were relaxing instead of touring the parks).

When I go during particularly hot weather, I find it helpful to have a table service lunch around 1 or 2. This will give you a dose of coolness. After that, we return to the resort for the swim/rest session noted above. Then, it's back to the parks for some evening fun!

mgmnut
02-27-2011, 04:05 PM
Thanks for the replies,I pulled the trigger and we are booked for the Wildreness Lodge for the 3rd week in July. I fully intend to use the resort pool more than we have in the past to beat the heat. Of course if anyone has more hot weather tips or how they handle the crowded times I would still love to hear them.

delaford321
02-27-2011, 05:00 PM
:cool:I'd agree with the general consensus, that going in July is better than foregoing the trip completely. In early August, I seem to remember there being shorter lines (folks heading back for school, ect) but the heat is no less of an issue.

Ramblingman
03-02-2011, 04:04 PM
When we go in the summer, we always hit it hard in the early morning, then head back to the resort in early afternoon. This not only avoids the hottest time of the day, it also avoids some of the largest crowds. We get in lunch, relax, cool off, and recharge our batteries (literally and figuratively).

After a couple of hours, we are ready to go hard until closing without that worn-out feeling late at night. It's much better when you are fresh.

Another thing to keep in mind is the water parks. Those are great breaks from the heat too.

Ramblingman
03-02-2011, 04:05 PM
I forgot to add -- Congrats on making it back after so long!

Magic Smiles
03-05-2011, 02:09 PM
Summer wouldn't be my first pick either, but I would go for August rather than July if possible. The southern states will be back to school in August, which could cut down on the crowds slightly. If you planned on late August many of the other schools could also already be back. I know that up in Canada some of the schools start the week before Labour Day.