PDA

View Full Version : How to tackle IoA/US? [All insight welcome!]

Awesome_guy
02-24-2011, 11:02 PM
Who we are:

a) Two Canadians flying pretty far: 1 first timer, 1 3rd timer. Both 20-somethings.
b) Our IoA/US days will overlap our 8 Day Parkhoppers at WDW staying at Dolphin (pricing just made it make sense to get passes that extend over our duration IN CASE we want to slip into the WDW parks, even on Orlando day(s) such as this.
c) The 3rd timer has only been to IoA once, and loved it (and popped into US for Mummy/ET).
d) Arrive end of March (March 25th for just over a week).

e) We're not concerned about getting to see everything we want to at WDW because we're there on-site over 8 days. Just can't decide how much to deviate time over at Universal Parks.

f) Park-to-park and some kind of Express Pass are pretty much a given for us; we like the notion of having a safety net with being able to switch parks, and can't imagine doing standby entirely.

g) We'll do this our second/third-to-last day-ish; energy might be wavering a bit. The change of scenery might be welcome.

Option 1:
*Get up early, and completely go for it; a 12hr 2-Park Day: VIP Express Pass for one day (allowing both parks, multiple rides) OR Park-to-Park (+Express Pass for both days).

Option 2:
*Two Days Park-to-Park but Focus on one park each day (with the flexibility if something is turning out to be a trainwreck, swap). Get an Express Pass for the Focused Park each Day. Have evening time back at WDW because our days won't be so pressured to fit everything in.

Option 3:
*Two Days VIP Express Pass and get to REALLY do US Parks. Is there enough to warrent this? I loved Spiderman, and could imagine others would be nice to do a few times. (...would like to check out WWoHP, etc but understand most of this area isn't Express Pass functional). The added cost is approx $60 extra each--plus transportation both days, as we won't be renting a car... The added costs are manageable to us considering 'time is money' for these sorts of excursions.

h) We want to do this right, and really we can budget for whatever. It just feels a bit strange for one or two days to have WDW Park Hopper, Waterparks and More, UStudios Park-to-Park, Express Passes all overlapping (again, just because of how pricing is structured. Feels like overkill. If that makes sense.

I know this is all personal preference, but we would love to build on your experiences/insights.

NJGIRL
02-25-2011, 08:56 AM
This is what we do with our 10 day Florida stay and would probably be benefical to you also. Book a two or three day stay at a Universal Hotel (they are very very nice) because it will include front of the line access to all rides at both parks except for the Rip Ride Rollercoaster and the Forbidden Journey (but you can access IOA 1 hour earlier than non hotel guest so you can ride the Forbidden Journey before the park opens). This will save you money by not having to buy the express pass (which only allows you one front of the line access opposed to unlimited front of the line access for hotel guests) and by not having Disney tickets for days that you probably won't use. At night City Walk is great for adults in your age group. You also don't need transporation when staying at Universal because everything is a short walk.

Two days of the unlimited express pass is enough to do just about everything or go on rides that you really like multiple times. If you want to park hop you can but we found it not to be neccessary.

On our last trip we stayed for three days. One full day for each park and then the kids picked the Studios to do on the third day because they loved the Simpson, MIB and Mummy rides.

Even though you wouldn't be saving a whole lot of money getting two less Disney ticket days there still is a savings and you will save money not having to buy the express pass. Depending on which Disney hotel you are staying at, I found prices of the more expensive Disney hotels to be about the same as Universal's Hotels so that is probably going to be a wash.

You didn't mention it but if you are renting a car for your stay you won't need one while at Universal because as I said everything is within walking distance. If you plan a Universal stay at the begining of your trip or at the very end you can save car rental cost also. They also have a Hertz Rental Car booth in their hotels.

Awesome_guy
02-25-2011, 04:20 PM
Thanks!

This helps give a sense of 'how much' we can do while over there.

We won't be able to do the hotel thing (which probably would have been wise) because we are booked at The Dolphin for the duration of our trip; we have that and the flight booked but no tickets yet (for any park).

We won't be renting a car... just doing the shuttle (or cab) thing.

=),

NJGIRL
02-27-2011, 12:43 PM
Understood. Well, I guess in a nutshell I suggest that you take two days to do Universal, one day for each park. Save the money on the park hopping and get to the parks early. The parks seem to be empty then, at least when we have been there. We have never had to buy the express passes when we go in Oct but that's not really a super busy time of the year. I believe you can buy them once you are there if you find you need them.

Be prepared to wait at least an hour for the Forbidden Journey because express passes can not be used on that ride.

ljgirl
03-09-2011, 02:56 PM
I was reading the post and have a question...

We are not staying in a park hotel becuase they are sold out the week we are there. I was going to buy the Express Pass as an add on to my tickets.

If I do this, am I only allowed to use it 1 time per attraction/day? Are the hotel guests the only ones who have an unlimited pass?

NJGIRL
03-09-2011, 07:51 PM
I was going to buy the Express Pass as an add on to my tickets.

If I do this, am I only allowed to use it 1 time per attraction/day? Are the hotel guests the only ones who have an unlimited pass?

Yes, you can only use it at each attraction once per day. I'm not sure if they scan the pass or not. Also, the Express pass will do nothing at HPFJ. Hotel guest can arrive one hour early to start riding HPFJ and yes they have unlimited express passes.

NJGIRL
03-09-2011, 08:34 PM
I want to clear something up. Something I myself was very confused about (I didn't realize the change).

If you are not staying at a Universal Hotel you can:

#1 buy an Express Pass Plus which allows you to skip the line at most attractions once per attraction per day.

or

#2 buy a Park to Park VIP Express Pass which will allow you unlimited front of the line access all day as many times per attraction that you like.

I'm sorry if I have confused anyone. I did not realize that they offer two different passes.