PDA

View Full Version : Whats your method for saving for disney?

disneymomma2010
02-24-2011, 11:09 AM
Whats your method? Do you have yard sales, save back so much from each check, etc.? Anybody got any genious ways you pay for your trips? I just put money back but i was wondering if there are great minds out there that think of great ways to help pay for thier trip.

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-24-2011, 11:32 AM
We've found the easiest way for us to save us to give up eating out....also, we only buy what we need and do not go shopping unless we need something and then take a list and stick to it....I get paid monthly so at the end of the month whatever I have left after all bills are paid will go into my Disney fund

MarkC
02-24-2011, 12:34 PM
Be rich or win the lottery is the best way.

Seriously, I start planning way in advance and know what my budget is. I also try to spread out the expenses as much as possible. Airfare may be 9 months out, park tickets a couple of months out, etc. We use a Disney visa to build up some Disney dollars. If you are a frequent Disney visitor I would really encourage you to look at DVC if you haven't already. We go about every year and once you suffer the initial payment, its a great deal.

As far as real dollars, any extra money we get, i.e. bonuses, tax refunds, garage sales we will put that money aside for the trip. I also have $15 out of each paycheck going into my travel savings account. $30 per month doesn't seem like much but if you only tap it every 2 years or so it really helps. The amount is so little you really don't notice it out of your paycheck.

JenniferS.
02-24-2011, 12:41 PM
Income Tax Return

FenwayGirl
02-24-2011, 12:43 PM
I save all the change from any purchases I make everyday. That adds up pretty quicky. Also stopped buying lunches at work and put that money aside,,

DisneyMom12
02-24-2011, 12:47 PM
Income Tax Return

We use our tax return as well.

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-24-2011, 01:09 PM
I pay for the package with my tax refund but actual spending money I have to save for...

ibelieveindisneymagic
02-24-2011, 01:38 PM
We have a "Disney Fund" jar at home, and all of our change at the end of the week goes into it, plus anything we save (ie by ordering pizza instead of going out for dinner), birthday money, etc.

I just opened a US account, and am putting $20/week into it. Again, not a lot of $$, but it does add up.

Gregandmel
02-24-2011, 01:43 PM
We have multiple approaches to save. Our Disney Visa (reward points) we use for our extra spending $$. I set aside $40 per month JUST for Disney. We take the first $1000 of our Income Tax return and set it aside. We have a change jar decorated with Disney stickers. And every month in my checkbook, for every purchase, I round UP to the nearest $5 (so if the purchase was $22.17 I record it as $25 in the checkbook). For every deposit, I round DOWN $5 (so if I my paycheck ends in $18.50, I round it down to $15.00). I reconcile my checkbook everyday, so I know how much of a "hidden balance" I always have. At the end of each month, the hidden balance is taken out in cash and put aside for the trip. It adds up! We usually plan our trips about 12-15 months out so we have time to take little bit here and there. And of course, we always hope there is a magic PIN code or some special going on that reduces our accomodations. Good luck!! Every little bit helps in the big SAVING GAME for Disney!! LOL

Auntie B
02-24-2011, 03:06 PM
I put away $50 each time we get paid. We also have a change jug we throw our coins in. Amazing how quickly all those coins add up!

Scar
02-24-2011, 03:40 PM
I hope no one takes offense to this as everybody has different ways of doing things, but I can't for the life of me understand why people need some "special" way to save. It's quite simple really... just spend less than you earn and the difference is savings.

gerald72
02-24-2011, 04:08 PM
I hope no one takes offense to this as everybody has different ways of doing things, but I can't for the life of me understand why people need some "special" way to save. It's quite simple really... just spend less than you earn and the difference is savings.

Right, any other way is just fooling yourself

MarkC
02-24-2011, 04:23 PM
Right, any other way is just fooling yourself

I completely agree, but a lot of people don't have the willpower or the patience to do so. If everyone did, they'd all be able to quit smoking and stick to diets as well. Not everyone is capable of doing things that easily. Its hard to fathom for those of us who are numbers geeks, but not everyone is good with math, budgeting, etc. either.

gregf71
02-24-2011, 04:29 PM
This was a little easier when Disney Stores were more prolific in our area, but whenever I was at the mall where there was a Disney Store, if I had any cash in my wallet that I did not any specific need for I would go and buy Disney Dollars with it. :mickey:

RedSoxandPatsfan
02-24-2011, 04:56 PM
I quit smoking.Ssaved $35+ a week since 2005, although it's probably a bit more now. Then if the urge hits me to start again, I just remind myself that it's my Disney money I'd be using and that kills the urge right there.

comicguy
02-24-2011, 05:22 PM
We do several things to save money for WDW:

1) all bottle deposit money is put in Disney fund(.05 per bottle adds up pretty quick)

2) Have a yard sale every other year to get rid of items we no longer want or need

3) transfer any "extra" earned money to Disney fund (tutoring, milage, etc...)

4) transfer 25 dollars from each of our paychecks everytime we get paid

5) save coins and roll them twice a year (not so much now as we use our rewards card for almost everything)

6) Rewards points (from Disney Visa) for WDW purchases (Tips, souvies, etc....)

7) Any extras (rebates, refunds, bday, etc..) goes into the Disney fund

I think that is about all we do!!! It all adds up pretty fast

Narawen
02-24-2011, 09:40 PM
We're not constantly saving (taking money out of every paycheck), but this time we got a PIN code and know the exact dates of our vacation in Dec. I ran through the numbers, leaving a generous amount of wiggle room in food, souvenirs, and airfare. Divided the number by 10, and that's how much I have to save every month. I plan on taking it out of the ATM and just putting it in a pouch where I have leftover Disney dollars, using the cash to buy tickets or putting it back in my checking account when I reserve the hotel and buy airplane tickets, etc.

mudpuppysmom
02-25-2011, 10:30 AM
We save a few different way too, but nothing that has not already been mentioned......our Reward $'s go to the kids for souvies -- if we have a lot of them, I just give them around $200 total.

We save change (our water bottle is about 1/2 full now) and cash in every once in a while -- like when DH can't lift the bottle anymore :blush:

I send $40/week to the credit union account -- we don't live near there so I can't just swing in and hit the ATM I actually have to call them for a withdrawal (that makes me more accountable so I set it up that way).

DH and I both have a "secret stash" and often times I have a good bit socked away in all my hiding places!!

By the time we go we have enough to have a comfortable vaca -- nothing super splashy, but everyone comes home happy and fulfilled and that is all we aim for.

EvilQueen2006
02-25-2011, 12:54 PM
I actually got this idea here on intercot a few years ago, and it works well for me. Whenever I buy anything small, like a cup of coffee, pack of gum, etc. I try not to use anything smaller than a five dollar bill. Atthe end of the day I put my ones and change into a jar. This adds up quick. It also helps me save because I think twice before spending $5 for a coffee or pack of gum.

disneymomma2010
02-25-2011, 07:49 PM
wow i thought i loved disney but you guys are die hard dedicated fans! Awesome ideas! I just might use some of them myself and become an annual visitor!:blush::mickey:

mom2morgan
02-25-2011, 08:14 PM
Whats your method? Do you have yard sales, save back so much from each check, etc.? Anybody got any genious ways you pay for your trips? I just put money back but i was wondering if there are great minds out there that think of great ways to help pay for thier trip.

ummm...we mostly max out our credit cards? Seriously. BUT we have just started saving for our next trip because I'm determined we won't do it if we can't pay up front. One thing I do is save pocket change...but here's a neat new thing my bank now does. Every time I used my debit card, it rounds up to the nearest $5 and puts the "change" in my savings. Beyond that I'm setting aside money from each cheque, and any "windfall" money will go there as well.

mom2morgan
02-25-2011, 08:19 PM
I just opened a US account, and am putting $20/week into it. Again, not a lot of $$, but it does add up.

What do you see as the advantages of having a US dollar account? I wonder if that might be something I should start doing as well. in the months when our dollars are a bit higher, I can certainly see the reason to do that!

greengeen
02-25-2011, 08:38 PM
Savings account.

Mousemates
02-25-2011, 09:09 PM
ummm...we mostly max out our credit cards?

:ditto:
:blush:

IloveDisney71
02-25-2011, 11:06 PM
My best way to save is to use my Disney Visa to get points to use toward my vacation. We use our visa for almost everything and pay it off every month so we don't have to pay interest. The points add up pretty fast.

forever a child
02-26-2011, 11:20 AM
Last year for our May trip we used a bonus I got from work and part of my tax return to pay for our trip. It was our first visit in 5 years and I felt we deserved a trip after going without a real vacation (other than trips to visit our family in other states).

Then we decided we wanted to go back in December. So are started using a lot of the methods mentioned here....

I bought WDW gift cards at 90% of face value...hard to find...but that saved us the cost of one sit down meal.

Coin jar (placing my coins in it every evening when I got home for the day).

I sold stuff I no longer wanted on Ebay and Craigs list. This is where I made my big $ and paid for our trip mostly. I sold an old antique microscope for almost $700 on ebay! My dad gave it to me to sell and he was surprised it went for that much, LOL. He still gives me a hard time about it :D I sold a few pieces from my personal collection (got about another $1200 from those items). But the collections pieces are replaceable and my last few trips with my DD are not...so let them go.

Planning on going again this fall and going to search my parents house during our April visit for another microscope :thumbsup:

KennyandKim
02-26-2011, 08:47 PM
I save my coins and dollar bills. I have also thrown in 5 dollar bills and even a ten or twenty here and there. I have only been doing this for a little over a month and have over 100. I am also getting ready to take my state boards to become an RN and that will give me a $7 an hour raise. We will then take $5 of the extra money an hour and put that in for our vacation.

I took the cost of our total trip and divided it into how many months we had to pay it off and that is how I decided how much we had to pay each month. We are staying club level this time so if something happens we can always down grade.

GottaLvDisney
02-27-2011, 08:51 AM
We use our tax refund and then if we need a little extra for spending it comes out of our vacation fund that is already built into our monthly budget.

mom2morgan
02-27-2011, 05:15 PM
But the collections pieces are replaceable and my last few trips with my DD are not...so let them go.
:

LOVE THIS!! Plus, I just read an interesting bit of research that would seem to prove that "stuff" has next to no power to make us "happy" in a lasting way, while experiences do.

forever a child
02-27-2011, 06:05 PM
LOVE THIS!! Plus, I just read an interesting bit of research that would seem to prove that "stuff" has next to no power to make us "happy" in a lasting way, while experiences do.

Very true! One of the pieces I sold was very special to me. But I don't think about it at all...I think if not daily at least weekly about the great Christmas Trip I had with my DD and hope to do it again some time! The time and experience with my daughter even now that the trip is over far out weights in value to the item I sold! :cloud9:

luvdiznee
02-27-2011, 07:09 PM
Uh, trying to do the every 2 year visit...:secret::blush:

Ramblingman
03-02-2011, 03:52 PM
Except for those who are a bit stuffy, these are great ideas. The idea is not to "fool" yourself, it's to have fun and to add to the anticipation and excitement.

Having said that, once my wife does her excel spreadsheet, she has a good idea of a budget. We've been enough to be fairly accurate on spending needs. She'll break down how much to take out each payday and she'll move it to the savings account.

That covers gas, lodging, food, and tickets. I am in charge of the "wild" money. This is money spent on spur of the moment things and extras. I will take out a bit of cash each payday and hide it away and nobody ever knows how much I'll have except me. Then when we are there, I will give out money as needed for special treats.

Make it a game, it adds to the magic.

luvdiznee
03-02-2011, 04:09 PM

Eat more Wally pizza. :thedolls:

forever a child
03-02-2011, 04:27 PM
Except for those who are a bit stuffy, these are great ideas. The idea is not to "fool" yourself, it's to have fun and to add to the anticipation and excitement.

Having said that, once my wife does her excel spreadsheet, she has a good idea of a budget. We've been enough to be fairly accurate on spending needs. She'll break down how much to take out each payday and she'll move it to the savings account.

That covers gas, lodging, food, and tickets. I am in charge of the "wild" money. This is money spent on spur of the moment things and extras. I will take out a bit of cash each payday and hide it away and nobody ever knows how much I'll have except me. Then when we are there, I will give out money as needed for special treats.

Make it a game, it adds to the magic.

I like your outlook on this Ramblingman. It does make it more fun! Plus if you have kids they can get into it too and learn to save for themselves. It is a great lesson on budgeting and saving for things that you really want and waiting patiently for them.

I love the "wild money" idea too! How fun! Thanks for sharing.:mickey:

Dulcee
03-02-2011, 05:20 PM
We usually use tax returns and the money I steal from the checkbook each month and stick in savings.

Fiance is almost done with the police academy though so the new game plan is overtime money is going right into the house/wedding/disney savings account.

princessgirls
03-03-2011, 11:01 AM
Disney Visa Rewards. I save them up and use them for vacation, that covers spending money in the World. I have a couple of hundred dollars for my August trip now, so that will be nice. We can use it on anything and everything within WDW.

We allocate so much a year for a vacation budget, and put that money away. That's why I try to get the best prices, because I can usually squeak out two full weeks of vacation one in WDW one somewhere else.

Julie:mickey:

javamama
03-05-2011, 04:07 PM
I don't really we save all year long, we use our Disney Visa Card so we get our 6 months at 0%(and also our Disney Dream Dollars). Then I chip away at the total bill within the 6 months it's paid off w/out paying any interest. It's the easiest way for us, but we do have a change jar on our counter also...but that's the kids spending money while in WDW. I have the DDD to use on the trip, the kids have their spending money it really works out well for us.

LVT
03-07-2011, 11:58 PM
I did see 1 new tip. I do not use the disney gift cards much. It is something to watch for the discount ones.
1. Value resorts via travel agent using AAA. I pay as quickly as I can. Usually some sale or PIN comes along to get us a refund, which I leave in the room account, towards food.
2. VISA rewards
3. TAX refund
4. Automatic savings to a second bank savings only account.
5. Drive to Orlando http://www.intercot.com/discussion/images/icons/icon9.gif
HOPE