PDA

View Full Version : What don't you allow your child to ride?

Disney_pups2
02-23-2011, 04:52 PM
Just curious as to what you don't allow your child to ride if they are tall enough to ride it? I would assume some don't allow Haunted mansion... Opinions?

DisneyMom12
02-23-2011, 05:03 PM
If they meet the height requirements, they can ride what they want.

HM is not that bad. I have taken my son as young as 1 on it with no problems.

PinKy
02-23-2011, 05:16 PM
We don't have any restrictions like that for our children at Disney. (DS1 - 4, DS2 - 2, DD - infant) If they want to ride it we go ( as long as they are tall enough etc) - and if they don't, we don't push. :mickey:

johnO
02-23-2011, 05:17 PM
They ride whatever they want.

clausjo
02-23-2011, 05:20 PM
They ride whatever they want.

:ditto:

Madame Leona
02-23-2011, 05:28 PM
Dinosaur at Animal Kingdom. My son is tall enough to ride it but I know it would scare the pants off of him. Otherwise, as long as he's tall enough and wants to ride something, I'm all for it. However, I have never coaxed, bribed or forced him on anything....except Country Bears but that's a story for another day :)

jmj18
02-23-2011, 05:52 PM
As long as they make the height requirements my children...ages 10 and 7 can ride whatever they want.

:mickey:

Mousemates
02-23-2011, 06:30 PM
ours are grown now, but backin the day we let them ride anything they could stretch their necks long enough to legally board.

BrerGnat
02-23-2011, 06:34 PM
I know my kids pretty well. I won't let them ride anything that I think will really frighten them.

My oldest wanted to ride ToT last year. He's pretty easy going, and not really afraid of stuff like the dark, ghosts, etc. So, I let him ride it. He still hated it. ;) By contrast, my younger son (almost 5) is a WIMP when it comes to the dark, loud noises, and "spooky" stuff. He doens't even like PotC. So, I won't take him on Haunted Mansion (he doesn't want to anyway, but if he did, I'd probably say no because I know he'd really freak out in there), and it will be MANY years before I'd feel okay taking him on ToT. I took him on Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin today for the first time (at Disneyland). He was terrified in there for about 50% of it. Mind you, this is a ride in TOONTOWN.

So, basically I use my judgment based on what I know about my kid's temperaments.

lovinmesomedisney
02-24-2011, 08:09 AM
I never stopped them from riding anything. They decided if they liked something or not. I always told them if they don't like something, they don't have to go back on. Honestly, my kids weren't afraid of dark rides, or ghosts, or dinosaurs. My youngest didn't like heights and he chose not to ride those things, but other than that, I never restricted anything. Now they are all older and LOVE everything! :)

Mickey'sGirl
02-24-2011, 08:09 AM
I will not let my youngest son ride the intense Mission Space (he just turned 7). He's had seizures and I just don't want to create a situation .... Otherwise, he can ride what he chooses (and he chooses to ride fewer and fewer rides each year). :mickey:

kakn7294
02-24-2011, 08:54 AM
Mine are allowed to ride anything they want. My younger daughter still won't ride ToT but we got her onto Everest in January. ToT is our last big hurdle - she rode it once when she was much younger and said she didn't like it. I do encourage her to try it again as she may change her mind since she is older. However, she knows that we will never force her to go.

RBrooksC
02-24-2011, 08:59 AM
My son just turned five and we are already discussing the rides at WDW for our trip in May. I have been using YouTube to show him the rides so he knows what to expect.

He is a little bit "scared" but also very excited about the Haunted Mansion and ToT. If he is tall enough we are hoping to ride Space Mountain and E:E. His height will be VERY close.

We took my son when he was 18 months on every ride that did not have a height requirement. He was fine on everything and never once did we mention anything being scary. So, he was never scared.

Momto3littlemice
02-24-2011, 11:54 AM
Interesting question...

Our kids are VERY petite -- so generally they are probably ready to ride something before they are tall enough! However, they are also pretty wimpy when it comes to scary stuff, so I try to be brutally honest when they ask me about a ride. DD7 wants to ride Space Mountain this year and I just don't want her to get on it and freak out half way through! So, I have been showing her videos etc and told her that it is dark, I won't be sitting next to her etc. If she still chooses to ride then I won't stop her. I love thrill rides, so I'll be happy if she likes it! Having said that, they have never been to Tough to be a Bug because it is the one ride in Disney that scares the EARS off me! :mickey:

tink'72
02-24-2011, 01:05 PM
Mine are not allowed to ride Mission Space

Auroring Good Time
02-24-2011, 02:38 PM
My son is very tall for his age. He was tall enough to ride most of the rides before he was 4. The only ones that I waited for him to ride were Tower of Terror and Mission Space. I think he was 6 or 7 when he rode those. I made the mistake of having him ride Dinosaur too young. I wasn't able to get him back on that until he was 9. I think if your child is daring, and tall enough, age 6 they can ride whatever they want.

HiHoKermitTheFrogHere
02-24-2011, 03:15 PM
DW wouldn't let DD10 ride RnRC until she was a couple of inches past the 48" height requirement. She is very short for her age -- she didn't hit 48" until she was about 9 years old. She has long legs and a short torso, and since you sit down on that ride, your legs become irrelevant. It is really your torso height that matters for purposes of how you fit into the seat and the restraint. So DW figured that even if DD was exactly 48", because her torso is short, she was probably the equivalent of something less than 48" while seated. DW didn't get comfortable allowing DD to ride RnRC until she hit 50". I kept telling DW that WDW takes these things into consideration, but she was ultra conservative. Of course, now that DD has ridden RnRC, she has made up for lost time and rides it a LOT on each trip!

Ian
02-24-2011, 03:19 PM
This may surprise some folks, but there is one thing I wouldn't let my kids on and that's the full spinning version of Mission: Space. I really don't believe their tiny bodies are set up to handle those sustained g-forces.

Other than that, they ride what they want. I do pretty much make them try everything at least once. If they don't like it, they don't have to go back on it.

I'm sure some folks in WDW have been ready to string me up for dragging my seemingly terrified child onto a ride, but the truth is DD8 (who's really our only child big enough for this to be an issue with yet) has come to love some of the rides she was originally scared witless of.

For example, she almost fell over from fright the first time she rode Space Mountain and Everest, but she ended up loving both of them. Had I not pushed the issue with her, she'd never have known.

Now ToT is another thing completely. ;)

waymickey
02-25-2011, 08:56 AM
DD was allowed to do anything she wanted as long as met the height requirements.

MarkC
02-25-2011, 09:36 AM
Mine are older now, but we've been there when they were young, and had neices, nephews and neighbors when they were young. If we think a ride is scary or intense I tell them exactly what will happen on the ride and tell them "its Disney, the dinosuars, ghosts or animatronics aren't real and there is nothing to be scared of". If they are still scared we don't ride.

Disney_pups2
02-26-2011, 12:48 AM
Dinosaur at Animal Kingdom. My son is tall enough to ride it but I know it would scare the pants off of him. Otherwise, as long as he's tall enough and wants to ride something, I'm all for it. However, I have never coaxed, bribed or forced him on anything....except Country Bears but that's a story for another day :)

You so have me curious now...lol.

Disney_pups2
02-26-2011, 12:54 AM
Thanks for the input friends. I Thank you so much, I have enjoyed reading your thoughts and stroies. I think I will try showing them a few more videos on Youtube as some of you have done and let them see what there is and go from there. Thanks again!!!:mickey:

TheVBs
02-26-2011, 08:19 AM
We're going to be put to the test on our trip this fall. Much to our surprise our DD6 is tall enough to pretty much ride anything! She and DD10 are saying they want to get on ToT and RnR, but I have serious doubts about DD6, since she got upset on Kali River Rapids last trip. I'm willing to let them try anything, but we're going to try a graduated approach. Start with the tamer rides and work our way up. The only things I would really discourage them from getting on are Star Tours and Mission Space, since they both get motion sick.

GottaLvDisney
02-26-2011, 08:45 AM
If they meet the requirements, they can ride it. With some, we encourage them to at least try it once (ToT, EE, Dinosaur) and if they don't like it, they don't have to go again. With others, we tell them what it is, what to expect and let them decide.

We're still trying to convince my 8yo DD to give ToT a try again one day, but I'm not sure that'll ever happen.

Trev&Ev Mom
02-27-2011, 05:21 PM
My two boys (now 10 and 6) have ridden anything they want as long as they meet the height restrictions. My 10 yr old has always been tall for his age and rode ToT when he was 4!!

javamama
03-01-2011, 08:47 PM
My ds at 5 was tall enough to ride mostly everything, and at 6 he could finally ride everything(Primevil Whirl was the last thing and his love of dinosaurs made this a HUGE deal!!), and RnR coaster was the other. He's rode everything but RnR, he was in line and it broke so that's on this years list again to ride. He did ride Mission Space, the full blown one at 4 1/2 with no issues, EE, but he had to wait until last year for Space Mountain thanks to Refurbs(of course he rode it 7 times last trip).
He would ride Dinosaur, and EE all day long if he could. I do think ToT did scare him when he was 3 1/2, but that was the only ride really that got him, he still rides it every year though.

My dd is 4 1/2, and last year hit the 42in mark:thumbsup: So she rode lots Dinosaur, BTM, Splash, ToT, and like them all...then late one night she got scared on Splash and she still talks about not going on it on our upcoming May trip. She loves Soarin, and TT, and can't wait to ride Space Mountain, and the Yeti as she says---I'm hoping we make it:thumbsup:

My parents let me ride everything as a kid, so as long as they want to ride something we let them(safely)