PDA

View Full Version : Ten Most Interesting Theme Park Lawsuits against Disney

MaxPower
02-23-2011, 02:54 PM
Here's a report from The Hollywood Reporter about Disney Lawsuits:

Another week, another lawsuit involving Disney World. Some employes at the Happiest Place on Earth have just filed a proposed class action alleging that Disney violated their privacy by making them show their social security numbers on their ID badges. The plaintiffs include bell clerks and room service cashiers at the Disney World hotel in Orlando, Florida. The complaint hints at possible identity theft but doesn't offer any specific damage.

The suit reminds us that Disney World has a history of facing down lawsuits. Some have merit. Others are just plain crazy. Here are our picks for the ten most interesting ways Disney has been sued over the years....

1.Parents of a 4-year old boy sued alleging that a 2-feet high fence wasn't high enough to keep their child from drowning in the moat.

2.Pennsylvania parents sued with claims their four-year-old died of cardiac arrythmia while riding the Mission: Space ride.

3.Three disabled people sued over Disney World's ban on Segway scooters.

4.A Disney World employee, a practicing Sikh, sued with claims his red turban didn't conform to the "Disney look" and he suffered discrimination. Also, the Teamster's Union sued with claims that its "English only" policies discriminated against the Disney World hotel's Haitian and Hispanic housekeeping and laundry workers

5.A woman who rode Twilight Zone: Tower of Terror ride up to 50 times a day, saying it was the only thing that alleviated a medical condition she had, sued with claims she was banned from the Disney World park.

6.One park visitor sued claiming she was beaten by another park visitor and that Disney didn't have adequate security staff.

7.A mother sued after her 21-year-old son, an employee at Disney World, died in a collision while operating the monorail.

8.A Pennsylvania woman sued with allegations her breast was groped by Donald Duck.

9.A man sued for allegedly being stranded on the "It's a Small World" ride for 40 minutes.

10.San Diego parents sued after their young sun suffered "severe burns" from scalding hot nacho cheese at the entertainment resort.

Daisy'sMom
02-23-2011, 04:11 PM
Some do have merit, but some certainly comes under the "bad parenting" label.:mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-23-2011, 04:22 PM
While some of these are just plain silly,others may have merit. I think you would really need the particulars on each case to really pass judgment. I don't think I would be happy about my SS# being out there like that either, I would try to solve it without suing first though.

UCJen
02-23-2011, 06:00 PM
I must admit I am intrigued by no. 5.

What medical condition could that possibly be?:confused:

*Off to Google*

This has got to be a doozy...:D

lindique
02-23-2011, 07:56 PM
I took the "Undiscovered Futureworld" tour some years ago. The CM giving the tour told us about this as we were entering the (former) hydrolators into the Living Seas building.

It seems someone sued Disney because they got the bends or something like that because of the rapid hydrolator descent into SeaBase Alpha. She said they actually brought the judge and jury to Disney World to see for themselves that the hydrolator didn't go anywhere!

MarkC
02-24-2011, 10:06 AM
Social security numbers on ID badges? I'm guessing those are not badges the general public would see like Castmember name badges.

I used to work insurance claims and people will sue for anything. But like other posters said-- some of these due have merit. I have no idea if Disney tries to settle these, denies all claims, etc. Most of them will probably settle out of court. I could tell you guys some stories of some claims I've handled. Wow, you wonder how some people survive in today's times.

SBETigg
02-24-2011, 10:45 AM
Reading these just make me sad for the parents who lost children or families who lost someone. True, there are frivolous lawsuits and some odd ones. Like number one-- the child didn't actually make it into the moat or come to harm, right? That's just weird. But the loss of the monorail driver and the four year old on Mission: Space... these are tragedies I remember and I can't even imagine the emotional pain for the families. I want to think that Disney would do everything they could for those families, even when it's not even Disney at fault. So sorry for their losses.

princessgirls
02-24-2011, 11:05 AM
Seriously....
Some of these things are just plain 'ole ridiculous and the result of poor judgment/parenting.

Some are sad, for the parent's of the 4-year old. It was just bad circumstances as their child had something that went undiagnosed, which most of the time is the case with these type of heart conditions.

The woman being "banned" from the parks over riding tower of terror 50 times. I can't imagine what condition that would help???

Oh my...
Julie:mickey:

GrumpyFan
02-24-2011, 11:40 AM
I would be real interested to know the outcome of some of these. Does anybody know of a way to find out, preferably all in place?
I searched Wikipedia, but didn't find anything. Maybe I will create one.

UCJen
02-24-2011, 12:26 PM
I would be real interested to know the outcome of some of these. Does anybody know of a way to find out, preferably all in place?
I searched Wikipedia, but didn't find anything. Maybe I will create one.

I googled no.5, but I don't have have time to cut and paste.

Long and short of it is. The woman had adhesions in her abdomen. Every Saturday, she would ride ToT with a GAC numerous times--up to 20 times in a Sat. She even had a doctor's note stating this was breaking up the adhesions. (Honestly?) CM's never had a problem with this until a new manger started working ToT. She was limited to four times, she got angry.

Disney say the banned her because she was cursing. She denies it. Quelle surprise.

So it would seem that she wan't banned for riding ToT ad nauseaum, but rather for being abusive to a CM.....

GrumpyFan
02-24-2011, 12:30 PM
Long and short of it is. The woman had adhesions in her abdomen. Every Saturday, she would ride ToT with a GAC numerous times--up to 20 times in a Sat. She even had a doctor's note stating this was breaking up the adhesions. (Honestly?) CM's never had a problem with this until a new manger started working ToT. She was limited to four times, she got angry.

Disney say the banned her because she was cursing. She denies it. Quelle surprise.

So it would seem that she wan't banned for riding ToT ad nauseaum, but rather for being abusive to a CM.....

I remember that one. It was interesting to say the least. I wouldn't have a problem with the lady going, and riding multiple times a day, but that was an abuse of the GAC.
I think the abuse came when they told her she couldn't ride any more.

Crazy stuff!

BellesRose
02-24-2011, 04:06 PM
Anyone that can handle riding TOT that many times, in my opinion, should be able to get a special fastpass to just stay on it! But she would have to sign a waiver that promises her family won't sue if she suddenly dies ;)

I'm very interested about the SS numbers being shown, this is something I've never heard of!

KylesMom
02-24-2011, 04:24 PM
Sadly, I remember most of these on the list - many are not that old. I particularly remember the little boy on Mission:Space, as we were at Epcot the day it happened.

Considering that everything from our Car Insurance ID cards, workplace papers, medical insurance cards, etc. dropped our SS #s years ago, I too am surprised that this is a continuing practice. Goodness, you're told to not even carry your social security card in your wallet anymore due to how prevalent ID theft is.

shadowden
02-26-2011, 08:53 AM
It's kind of sad what some people will do to spread the blame...

Figaro
02-28-2011, 02:21 PM
As far as the SSN on the ID, I'd be a lil unhappy about that. Your ID gets seen by a lot of people, mostly other CMs since they aren't supposed to be viewable by guest when on stage. If memory serves me right, when we're offstage the ID is supposed to be viewable, or we're supposed to challenge someone for their ID. You're also supposed to have your ID on you at all times. When doing some roles, there's a risk it could fall out of a pocket, etc. If a guest finds it, it could end up being used for less than honest reasons. So I :thumbsup: that lawsuit. I know on a few occasions I almost lost mine when I'd make a rescue or something...

ti2gr
02-28-2011, 05:29 PM
Most of these cases are frivolous. It is sad about the four year old and the Monorail worker, the 4 year old had a pre-existing condition that was undiagnosed. It wasn't Disney's fault although the newsmedia tried to make it so. That's why there are now 2 versions of the ride, one with spinning and one without. The monorail one though, should not have happened, it was an accident. Accidents happen.

A friend of mine that used to work as a paramedic at Disney once told me about having to tesify in court because a woman tried to sue Disney because during a storm that popped up while she was at the park caused a brick from the castle hit her in the head. It was proven in court that threre are no bricks in Cinderella's castle and that the castle is mainly fiberglass and steel. They never found the alleged brick.
It was determined by the court that in the storm she may have gotten hit by flying debris from the branches of nearby trees and Disney cannot be held responsible for that since that would be considered an act of God.

Mousemates
03-03-2011, 10:49 PM
The woman had adhesions in her abdomen. Every Saturday, she would ride ToT with a GAC numerous times--up to 20 times in a Sat. .....So it would seem that she wan't banned for riding ToT ad nauseaum, but rather for being abusive to a CM.....

for those newbies that don't know the jargon
GAC = Guest Assistance Card

smcd
03-05-2011, 02:04 PM
I'm just loving #9...stuck on It's a Small World....hehehehe

RazdOnDis
03-07-2011, 02:01 PM
#9 is legit in my book, as I would consider spending anytime at all on IASW as being officially stranded. I'd have to swim for it.

Ramblingman
03-08-2011, 03:12 PM
Actually, the man who was stuck on IASW is a paraplegic. I had wondered as well about how someone could be "stuck" on it, but saw the details later.

I'll add the disclaimer that you can't make a definitive conclusion without the details, but with that being said...there are some people out there who will sue for anything at anytime, as long as the target has money.

LisaP
03-29-2011, 02:20 AM
#9 is legit in my book, as I would consider spending anytime at all on IASW as being officially stranded. I'd have to swim for it.

:ditto:

:dizzy:

Ed
03-29-2011, 09:58 AM
Another week, another lawsuit involving Disney World. Some employes at the Happiest Place on Earth have just filed a proposed class action alleging that Disney violated their privacy by making them show their social security numbers on their ID badges. The plaintiffs include bell clerks and room service cashiers at the Disney World hotel in Orlando, Florida. The complaint hints at possible identity theft but doesn't offer any specific damage.

My wife has been a CM at WDW for eight years, and her ID badge has NEVER listed her Social Security number. The only numbers on her badge are her "Perner" (employee #, which bears no resemblance to her SSN) and her cost center. And her name tag shows only her first name and hometown.

AnnetteFan
03-29-2011, 03:07 PM
Yeah, I'm a bit confused about the ID lawsuit as well. I'm a former CM and never had my social displayed on anything, just my perner. Although these could be operating partners that actually work for another company or something, that's the only thing that would make sense to me.

Mufasa
04-01-2011, 10:53 AM
The question of SSN on IDs was brought up to Bob Iger during the Q&A session at the shareholder's meeting- it is encoded in the barcode on the ID and the lawsuit was raised by members of the hotel union at Disneyland (Unite Here Local 11) that raised concerns that they can be read easily by smartphones that have barcode apps and present a risk of ID theft

magicofdisney
04-01-2011, 01:18 PM
The question of SSN on IDs was brought up to Bob Iger during the Q&A session at the shareholder's meeting- it is encoded in the barcode on the ID and the lawsuit was raised by members of the hotel union at Disneyland (Unite Here Local 11) that raised concerns that they can be read easily by smartphones that have barcode apps and present a risk of ID theft
Can't they just ask to have it removed? Is a lawsuit necessary?

BAMABOY
04-06-2011, 04:36 PM
"8.A Pennsylvania woman sued with allegations her breast was groped by Donald Duck."

This was thrown out of court citing there was no "fowl" play involved. :D:fresh::D

I know, that was bad but I couldn't help myself.:funny:

squad51
04-20-2011, 04:35 PM
First the mother of the monorail driver has a legit suit. As a trained railroad engineer I can tell you that this crash and death should never have happened. The dispatcher/supervisor being off site, no one spotting the reverse movement, and not being able to stop in one-half the distance of any obstruction are all violations.

On a lighter note, can we sue for the massive eyesore that was the castle birthday cake?:bang::bang:

wdwaggie
04-29-2011, 12:02 PM
Couldn't the idiotic woman on Tot have gotten similar relief from jumping on a trampoline? I'm sure she was a monster to deal with and this was just her excuse to have the world cater to her instead of just adapting and getting along without infringing on everyone else around her.
:confused:

kemps@wdw
05-01-2011, 11:42 PM
#5...:confused: