PDA

View Full Version : Reviews on Hilton Head

missymouseworld
02-23-2011, 11:45 AM
We are considering a vacation to Hilton Head and wanted to get some input from those who have stayed at the Disney resort....

Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Basket Mommy
02-23-2011, 01:01 PM
We went there for spring break last March. I liked it for the most part.

Some drawbacks:

Parking is limited. Often we had to circle to find a parking place near our villa.

There is no on-site restaurant, and we were not that familiar with the area to know where to go. DO NOT eat at the Kingfisher (?) restaurant that's right next to the complex. It's overpriced and reminded me of one of those places that should be on a makeover show.

The beach and beach house are across the street (4-lane highway). You can take a shuttle or drive over there, or ride bikes (I suggest driving over and spending the day - there is a pool there, too). I just didn't like not being right at the beach.

Speaking of bikes - if you want them, get them your first day and rent them for the length of stay, or you won't be able to find them. They're available for rent near the pool. We showed up too late (10 am) and they were gone. There is the option of another local bike rental place, but I liked the convenience of getting them at the resort (the other rental place is near the beach house across the highway)

If you decide to visit Sea Pines (where the Salty Dog is) look around for one of the local coupon books. There are free parking coupons in those things. Otherwise you'll pay $5 to enter the Sea Pines resort.

Giuseppe's Pizza is awesome, but get there early or plan on takeout. It's SMALL and fills up fast. We waited 45 minutes, but it was worth it. Great Italian.

Gullah Gal is the best for taking a deep sea fishing excursion. HIGHLY recommended. That was our first deep sea fishing experience ever, and Mike and his crew were AWESOME. VERY patient with our 4 kids. We got a great catch of Black Sea Bass, which they fileted for us to take back and cook at our villa. AMAZING day.

missymouseworld
02-24-2011, 06:50 AM
Thanks for the information.

A couple quick ?'s...do they have any food options onsite?

Activities for kids?

TheVBs
02-24-2011, 08:12 AM
Yes, they have a few food options on site. One counter service place at the resort, and two across the street at the beach house. We opted to take the shuttle over to the beach house and it was fast and easy. There's also a very small arcade over there. We also found it very easy to walk across the bridge and pick a restaurant off property.

We went over Thanksgiving a couple years ago, and even off season they had tons of activities going on. Our girls went to a shark class, we all went beachcombing, there were the campfires and smores in the evening. Plus there are games on site, a board game room, horseshoes, shuffleboard. The kids activities come with the opportunity to get pins. However, these aren't the metal trading pins, they're the plastic buttons, and you have to buy a special lanyard to get the pins. The lanyard isn't of the quality you get in the parks, they're plain white (the kids get to decorate them) and pretty flimsy. It was still a fun thing to do, but pricey for what it was. They had one price for DVC members (which we're not) and one for non-members. But, we justified spending extra because we got a 2 bedroom villa for $66 a night!!

Our girls also got to do pin trading there, which was great! Our overall experience there was wonderful. Great cast members, gorgeous room, beautiful grounds, awesome beach!

GroovyTeach
03-15-2011, 09:10 PM
We LOVE LOVE LOVE Disney's Hilton Head. It is an amazing place for the ultimate relaxing place. The pools are very nice. I like the fact is it is not on the beach, as you have two vacations....the beach and then you can head back to the marsh that is quiet and beautiful and full of wildlife. If you have any questions, let me know!