PDA

View Full Version : Animal Kingdom Lodge Quick Service Question

ldc12377
02-22-2011, 06:03 PM
We will be staying at AKL villas for the first time this summer. We are getting the basic dining plan so we'll be eating some quick service meals and I'm sure we'll want to try Mara out. For our past trips, I'm not too impressed with the quick service options at the deluxe resorts. Will we also be disappointed here? It looks a little more promising than the other deluxes that we have been to from the menus posted here but just wanted some advice from those of you who have eaten there already. Thanks

Melanie
02-22-2011, 06:09 PM
We recently stayed at AKL and were very impressed by Mara. In particular, the flatbreads were yummy! We all had at least two during our long weekend trip.

JPL
02-22-2011, 06:51 PM
I love the African Stew served in a bread bowl :eat: It's one of my favorite QS options in all of WDW!

JROriole8Fan
02-23-2011, 12:25 PM
We've stayed at almost every deluxe resort and the AKL Mara is the best by far. You will enjoy it!

zebradome17
02-23-2011, 01:15 PM
I LOVE the Mara!!! Make sure you try out the african stew and you can also get a box of 5 zebradomes as a snack credit :mickey: There's also a nice selection of pastries and other desserts - you can get the coffee and cheesecake (which IMHO is huge and could easily serve two - possibly three people) cake as a snack/dessert as well :)

ldc12377
02-23-2011, 01:24 PM
YEAH!!!! I'm getting excited now! was really worried about the options at Mara... Looks like we won't be disappointed this time. Thanks everyone!

badkitty
02-23-2011, 01:31 PM
I love the offerings at The Mara. There is a lot to choose from and you can get Zebra Domes there! :thumbsup: Woo hoo!

clausjo
02-23-2011, 02:02 PM
We ate at the Mara several times on our recent trip and loved it. For dinner - the African Stew was so yummy and really, quite filling. My sister and I split a package of Zebra domes and some coffee, all for snack credits! I was a bit worried, having read some not very positive things about the quick service places at the deluxes, but was very pleasantly surprised!

TheRustyScupper
02-23-2011, 07:54 PM
Our Ratings of Mara:
. . . food price value: B
. . . food quality: B
. . . food quantity per serving: B-
. . . food prep speed: B
. . . food selection: C+
. . . seating quantity: C
. . . seating comfort: C
. . . eatery atmosphere: B
. . . eatery convenience: B
. . . staff friendliness: B
. . . staff helpfulness: B
. . . character interaction: n/a

NOTE: Disney Deluxe resorts are not known for their Quick Service
locations. In fact, most fall woefully short of the food courts at Moderate
and Value resorts. However, Mara is a pleasant surprise. Yes, the "African"
items are quite Americanized, but are still very tasty. If in the area, Mara is
a good choice for fast food. And, do not pass up Zebra Domes. Yummy!

ElenitaB
02-23-2011, 09:37 PM
I find Mara to have a large and varied selection... very different from the food courts at any other resort (deluxe or not). We've never had a problem getting a table. It's a winner in our book!

ldc12377
02-24-2011, 08:25 AM
ok silly question.... what are zebra domes?

badkitty
02-24-2011, 10:40 AM
ok silly question.... what are zebra domes?

Not a silly question at all.

It is a chocolate mousse-type dessert in the shape of a small dome covered in a black and white striped coating. If you "google" WDW zebra domes, you can find the recipe.

Yum!