View Full Version : Escaping the Snow - Part 4

faline
02-20-2011, 04:46 PM
Travelers :
Dear Daughter
Me

Date: February 12, 2011, Saturday

Plan for the Day:
Epcot with lunch at Boulangerie Patisserie and dinner at Le Cellier.

How the Day Went:
I slept much better. Still, I woke up a few times. I woke up around 6:30 and figured I’d get up in a “few minutes”. When I next rolled over, it was 7:29 a.m.! I got up just before the phone began ringing with the wake p call!

We manage to get out the door by around 8:45. The weather this morning is sunny but it is rather chilly with temperatures in the lower 40’s. We take the two monorails to Epcot. Our first stop is The Land where the stand-by line for Soarin' is already at 20 minutes so we get fast passes.

From there, we head to the Living Seas where we find Nemo and learn about sea turtle life from Crush. We had a couple of special treats here – a porpoise was zooming around in one of the tanks. I find it’s pretty rare that we see one out and about like this. Our other treat is how playful the manatees are. They are nudging each other and splashing the water – it’s like kids at play! We wander through the tanks, head out, and return to The Land for Soarin'. Even with the fast passes, we probably wait 10-15 minutes to get on the ride.

We cross over to Mouse Gears. Carolyn has forgotten her sunglasses back at the resort and buys a pair here. I buy a pair of scarves (I find they keep me so much warmer – it’s almost like adding another layer of clothing). We grab a pair of fast passes for Test Track and then head into World Showcase.

Carolyn says she is hungry so we walk into San Angel Inn and they are able to seat us within a few minutes. We both have a pulled chicken dish which is quite tasty. Our waitress is nice and quite attentive until it comes time to settle the bill, at which point she seems to disappear. It takes quite a long time to get her attention and get the bill settled.

Lunch finished, we ride the boat ride and explore the shops in the pavilion before heading back out to World Showcase. Outside the pavilion, Carolyn purchases a ring from the ring carver. We explore Norway, ride with the trolls and wander through the China pavilion.

It’s now time to pick up Carolyn’s ring so we retrace our steps. Since we’re headed in that direction, we go over to Test Track and use our fast passes. From there, we ride Mission:Space – green side. Carolyn is not impressed with this ride. Since we’re in the area, we head to Spaceship Earth. The changes to the ride also do not impress Carolyn.

We head back towards World Showcase, spending a few minutes along the way to watch the Fountain. This time we head towards Canada but decide not to spend any time in this pavilion as we’ll be returning for dinner this evening. The United Kingdom pavilion seems really crowded. We pop into Rose n Crown which is a mob scene so exit as quickly as we entered. We do explore the shops before moving over the bridge towards France. Here, we explore the shops and then have a glass of champagne. While sipping, we watch the chair acrobat – what is this act called? before moving on.

We wander all the way to Germany, stopping in the shops of each of the pavilions along the way. Carolyn finds a purse in Italy she likes and purchases that. We watch the fife and drum in the American pavilion for a bit. After exploring the shops in Germany, we make a u-turn and head back towards the Canadian pavilion.

Once in Canada, we check in out by the walkway where the cast member tells us we’re quite a bit early (25 minutes) for our reservation and may not be seated any earlier. We tell her that’s okay as we’re tired of walking and head into the restaurant to wait. We do wait about ½ hour before we’re seated.

We each have a cup of the cheddar cheese soup for an appetizer. I have the filet mignon for dinner while Carolyn has the gnocchi. She finds her dish just “okay”. With dinner finished, we make our way out of Epcot and onto the monorail.

At the Ticket and Transportation Center, we exit the Epcot monorail to make our way over to the Resort Monorail. Before I realize it, Carolyn takes a right hand turn onto the ramp for the express monorail at the same time as a group of loud cheerleader types run by to the same ramp. As they are a-hooping and a-hollering, I turn around to see Carolyn marching up the wrong ramp and it takes quite a loud yell to catch her attention but she does hear me and quickly makes her way back down the ramp so that we can enter the correct ramp.

We arrive at the Contemporary just a few minutes before the fireworks are scheduled to begin. As we head towards the crossover to Bay Lake Tower, we can hear the fireworks. We stop on the bridge to watch but Carolyn is really cold so we head into the building. We walk down the hall to the next set of elevators where we can watch the fireworks from inside the building. When they are finished, we return to our room for the evening.

Last night, I was the really tired one. Tonight it is Carolyn. We’ve been home for about an hour. Carolyn has disappeared into her room and I suspect she is already asleep though it is only just a little past 9 p.m. now!

Suz36
02-20-2011, 07:04 PM
Sounds like a great day in Epcot! How funny about your daughter getting caught up in the cheerleaders, as if she's a little girl!

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
02-20-2011, 08:31 PM
I am enjoying your trip report. We live about 90 minutes away beteen Springfield MA and Hartford, CT, and I am jealous of your snow getaway! Looking forward to reading more!

yjgirl32
02-21-2011, 08:51 AM
Disney makes me very tired.

pdrlkr
02-21-2011, 05:55 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

DisneyorBust
02-21-2011, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the report. I'm enjoying 'touring' the parks with you! DW and I will be returning to WDW in just 32 days and reports like your's make the wait more bearable. :thumbsup:

mouseketeer mom
02-21-2011, 07:59 PM
Sounds like a wonderful day of Epcot with your daughter at a relaxed pace!

PrettyMinnie
02-21-2011, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the report! I enjoyed reading about your day!

faline
02-22-2011, 06:50 PM
I'm enjoying 'touring' the parks with you! DW and I will be returning to WDW in just 32 days and reports like your's make the wait more bearable. :thumbsup:

Thank you!

Beach Club Babe
02-22-2011, 07:13 PM
Another lovely day, although I'm sorry Carolyn's dinner was just ok.

Tigerinvestigator
02-22-2011, 11:19 PM
Another great day at WDW. San Angel Inn is one of our favorite places to eat (we ate there on our honeymoon). I love World Showcase but it can be hard on the feet. Sounds like ya'll needed the early return to the resort.

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-23-2011, 02:15 PM
sounds great...I always have trouble sleeping the first day or two somewhere away from home:sheep:

KylesMom
02-24-2011, 09:57 AM
So you got the "snooze" benefit without hitting the snooze button, huh?! :blush:

I know how thrilled you were to be escaping the snow, but it still seems chilly for you guys today. Bummer! Sounds like you still had an enjoyable day, with some good shopping and attractions in between. Kind of disappointing dinner at LeCellier, though.

Hopefully Carolyn is just tired this night and isn't coming down with anything!

buzznwoodysmom
02-26-2011, 08:54 AM
I'm loving how "easy going" this trip seems to be. I love Epcot and could spend all day just roaming around WS.

Melanie
02-26-2011, 10:19 AM
Oh Linda, I had the gnocchi a few weeks back at Le Cellier and could hardly stomach it. :ack: Very disappointing!

Great day at Epcot! Your touring style is nice and relaxed. Sorry it's still chilly.

vizsla
02-28-2011, 05:14 AM
Thanks for the report.

princessgirls
03-02-2011, 10:11 AM
A lovely day spent at Epcot!

Love the relaxed touring pace!!

Thanks for sharing Linda!

Julie:mickey:

DizNee143
03-26-2011, 04:27 PM
sounds like a nice day at epcot!!! and dinner sounded delicious!:mickey: