PDA

View Full Version : My Disney Park Memories- Long

ransam
02-18-2011, 07:52 PM
wanted to write something special for my 800th post. Well, for starters, after 800 posts, maybe it’s time I got a life, huh?
But as you all I love Disney. Not just the parks, but the music, movies, and the man himself. I have been to Disneyland, and WDW many times….every time I think I’m going to go somewhere else, I can’t pull the trigger and end up right back in that magical experience I know so well. I thought for my 800th post, I’d write some of my favorite moments. I’d like you do all add some of yours too.

We’ll start w/ the very first time I went to Disneyland. I think it was 1969. I don’t remember much about that trip. I was 6. My family is from the Kansas city area, and my father had taken a job in Hawaii for a couple years. On the way back we flew to Los Angeles, and then drove back home. We stopped at Disneyland. The one memory I have is watching the parade, and sitting on a curb. One of the characters from Pinocchio, I am sorry I don’t’ know his name, but it’s the Fox. Walked by and patted me on the head. I remember that being kind of cool. But the coolest part is about 2 years later we went back, and just by accident the same character did the same thing to me. I was convinced he remembered me.

Another cool memory was, in the mid 70’s my mom and dad decided it be cool to just have a weekend of doing nothing but staying at a hotel. Just to get away from the house and spend some quality time at the hotel’s pool w/ family. My grandma was going with us. as we got to the hotel, that happened to be by the airport, my sister made the now famous family quote “I wanna see planes up close”….So my dad decided we’d go to the airport right away. As we pulled up to the curb he said “do you really wanna see an airplane?” and handed us each an envelope. It was a letter from his boss and it said something to the effect that he had heard we were going to Disneyworld, and to give Mickey a big handshake from him. And he enclosed a $20 bill, and told us to use it something stupid like candy and ice cream. It was all a set up and they had surprised us for the first time of many times w/ a family vacation to Disneyworld. From then on every year we would go out to dinner, a movie, concert, something and end up at Disneyworld. It became a game w/ my sister and I always trying to predict when we were going. My parents managed to get us every time.

One time when I was probably 10 or so, we were leaving and I looked back and saw the castle, it was against a dark, purple sky and so beautiful. I took a picture of it. And I got really sad we were leaving. My dad just looked at me and saw I was sad and put his arm around me and said “don’t worry, it’s not going anywhere, it will always be there, and it will always be waiting for you when you return”. And he was right every time I’ve gone back it’s still there as beautiful as ever. I always think of what my dad as I walk down main street for the first time on every trip.

One time I was probably 12 or so, I was walking my parents and I was holding their hands as we walked around and I got embarrassed thinking that maybe I was too old to be holding my parent’s hands. Then it occurred to me, who cares? Maybe someday I would be, but that day wasn’t it, and we continued the whole trip holding hands as we walked around.

My parents adopted a boy when I was in my mid 20’s. he was 4 so I was quite a bit older than him. I took him to Disneyland when he was 5. I remember he wouldn’t’ go on any rides, and suddenly I turned in to one of those parents I don’t like “listen, we are going on a ride right now or by God, we’re leaving right now”….knowing full well we were going nowhere. But it worked. Went on the 2000 leagues under the sea ride. After that I couldn’t stop him. At night I said one more ride, any ride he wanted and he wanted small world. So we went. As we got on the boat and the music got closer he started singing the song as loud as his 5 year old lungs would allowed. I was a little embarrassed until the two teenage girls in front of me started singing along w/ him. Soon the whole boat was singing and continued the whole ride.

Another time I drove to San Diego for a family reunion. I drove from Kansas City to SD only stopping once to sleep. My car was acting up but I pressed ahead. Got in to San Diego about 7pm went to an aunt’s house and got to our hotel about 10pm. I got up at 4am to make the drive to pick up all my teenage cousins to go to Disneyland. We got there about 9am after breakfast. I was in such a good mood wishing everyone a Magical Day. My cousins thought I was insane. I dragged them into the Tiki room about 3 in the afternoon. None of them really wanted to go, but went for me. That’s when it caught up w/ me. After all that driving, little sleep, I the nice air conditioned room, I fell asleep. To this day they always make fun of me. If I say I’m sleepy or I can’t get to sleep one will always say “just go to the Tiki room”…..after all the fun we had that day, and all the things I bought them, that’s what they remember! ha.

I remember going a couple years ago w/ my sister and friend. We were in line for the Pirates ride. A couple people were in front of us talking. We couldn’t’ help over hear them as they talked about how it was so cool that Disney had patterned so many rides after his movies, like Peter Pan, Snow White, Alice, etc…one of them said they wondered how old the pirates ride was, and the other said (no joke, and he was serious) “it can’t be too old, the movies only been out a few years”….we all just looked at each other’s and tried not to laugh.

Last year we were on a bus back to the POP hotel. A little boy walked up to us and plopped between my sister and myself and said “Sisters, who needs them”. And my sister smiled and said “hey I’m a sister, and that’s my brother right there”. The boy looks as me and said “you know what I’m saying” and I nodded and we hit knuckles…about that time an older girl about 13, walked by and kicked him, not hard, but kicked him. He looked at me, and said “that’s my aunt, maybe it’s just women, not just sisters”. I said “kid it doesn’t get better” and he smiled and said “women, they have a black heart” I said “ naw girls are cool. I like my sister. You do too” he just shook his head…so now when ever my sister says something I disagree w/ tell her what a black heart she has….it’s kind of funny.

My friend and sister and I were on soarin, and my sister and friend were going on the ride, and a little girl in a Snow White outfit cut in front of me. She didn’t mean to, just excited. And the attendant said “hold on Princess”….for some reason my friend and sister thought she was talking to me, and they cracked up. That night we were going to bed and saying good night, and it was dark, and kind of quiet and my friend said “night princess”…I thought my sister was going to roll off the bed from laughing.

I went to the imaginer luncheon 3 years ago. It was awesome. I found the guy on FB and we have talked a few times. He’s very careful about what he says, which I totally respect. A year ago I put on fb I was going back and was going to the luncheon. He emailed me and said he wasn’t the one that was doing the lunch that day. When the day came I was there and talking on the phone to my mom in front of the Brown Derby because I was there early. I happened to look up and he was standing there patiently waiting for me. I hung up and he said that he had heard on FB that I was going to be there, and even though he wasn’t the guest, he wanted to come by and say hi. We talked a few minutes. I thought that was so nice of him.

A couple years ago I went to the Candlelight Processional. I noticed that the park closed at 9 30, and the last American Adventure was at 930… so after the candle light processional was over I went to the 9 30 show… there was only me and 3 other people in the show. After the show ended we came out and the world showcase was empty, Just a few employees. …. You could still hear the Disney music, and everything, but no people, I walked to Canada, and then walked all around, it was so peaceful and beautiful. One of my all time favorite Disney memories.

Well I could go on for hours….but I already have. Haha…but one more.
December 2009 I was in MK. It was our last day, late hours, and the park was open til like 2am for hotel guests…..my sister and friend had left for the day but I was planning on staying there till 2am. It was freezing cold that night. Got down to 30…I watched the fireworks….it was about midnight and I kind of got caught in the crowd going down main street ( I was in an EVC). I didn’t want to turn around and run over anyone, so my plan was to just go w/ the crowd, and try to circle back around and go to the park for the last couple hours. So I’m going down main street and it’s cold, there is Christmas music playing and “snow” is coming down on main street. I looked behind me and I see the castle and it’s all in the ice lights…Christmas music is playing, it’s snowing and I remembered what my dad said….It’s not going anywhere… it will always be there. SO I thought, now is a good time to end that particular trip. Doesn’t get much better.

I would love to go back w/ my parents some day, but they are old, and they want to go, just can’t get them to pull the trigger.
Can’t wait to go back though.

Thank you mom and dad for all the Disney Memories. Thank you for filling my life w/ magic, imagination, and the knowledge dreams do come true. Thank you to my sister, friend, and again mom and dad for helping me keep that magic alive.

ftwildernesskid
02-19-2011, 01:37 PM
Thanks for sharing all these memories. I really enjoyed reading your post.

BluewaterBrad
02-19-2011, 03:26 PM
And "THANK-YOU" for a wonderful post!!!!!:mickey:

Tigerinvestigator
02-19-2011, 03:49 PM
Great post and great memories. Its funny how much in common we all have as WDW addicts. I can identify with all of your memories as can many people who will read them. Its just that perfect place we all go when the world is not so perfect. Thank you again.:thumbsup:

johnO
02-19-2011, 04:00 PM
Thanks for sharing.

ransam
02-20-2011, 09:54 PM
Great post and great memories. Its funny how much in common we all have as WDW addicts. I can identify with all of your memories as can many people who will read them. Its just that perfect place we all go when the world is not so perfect. Thank you again.:thumbsup:

i like how you put that, it's the perfect place when the world is not so perfect.
my friend and I always say while at disney..."there are no problems in Disney".
and i try to explain how when you're at disney, it's like being in a completely different world. It's clean, kept up, most people are in good moods, people are happier, etc....

finaldynasty
02-20-2011, 10:13 PM
Outstanding post! To even more magic...

:mickey:

PinKy
02-21-2011, 02:47 AM
such a fun post to read! :mickey:

Gregandmel
02-21-2011, 01:35 PM
That brought a tear to my eye!!! Wonderful post! (From another Kansas City neighbor!) Thanks for sharing your memories with us!

artyboy
02-24-2011, 12:02 PM
awesome post...thanks!

FenwayGirl
02-24-2011, 12:21 PM
Great post. I think that all of us "disney lovers" have great stories to tell. And amazingly enough they probably all involve our families. I remember taking my parents for the first time when my Dad was 60! My sister and I have a tradition that every May we take a break from our busy lives and families and head to WDW for a week! It is something that I look forward to every year:cloud9: