PDA

View Full Version : Dining in the summertime??

Dsnygirl
02-18-2011, 01:10 AM
So... just a few questions about how people have found using the DDP in the summer. We are going in late August -- I know, scorching heat, humidity -- so I'm curious how people use their credits during the crazy heat.

We are travelling during the free dining promotion, so I'll be online at 180 days at 6am to make sure we get any of the meals that are really important to us. ;)

My question is -- I know that in the heat, people tend to be less hungry -- you're going more for the Dole Whips and ice cream/ice cream floats than you are the big meals. We've never really been "lunch" people -- we prefer to have a few nice character bkfsts during our trip, and the majority of our TS meals have been in the evening.

But for summer, I'm wondering if it'd be better to change this up a bit?? Seeing as we'll be looking to get out of the heat in the afternoons and wanting to tour more in the early mornings & evenings, I'm wondering if on the days we don't necessarily want to go back to the resort and swim/relax, we'd be better of having a late lunch and using that time to get out of the sun.

So... looking for a bit of feedback on what people have found worked for them... I know we want to do 3 character bkfsts & the HDDR, but the rest of it is up in the air, depending on whether it'll be a late lunch or a late dinner we choose.

Thanks for any ideas/input -- it's our first venture to FL in the heat, and I want to make it work the best we can! :sun:

Dulcee
02-18-2011, 07:59 AM
So we've always done Disney Mid July when the temperatures are definitely up there.

As far as breakfasts go we tend to eat in the room or just grab something quick from the quick service counter at our home resort. Generally were on the basic dining plan and when it was the four of us we'd split two breakfasts amongst us.

As far as strategy this allowed us to hussle up and get into the park before the heavy heat of the day hit.

By mid afternoon the temps get high but you also need to factor in rain. July/August early to mid afternoon means pretty heavy, if brief, rain showers. If you wait till then to search out a place for lunch be ready for crazy lines and fights for tables. To avoid this we tended to use this as our time to skip back to our resort or a different resort and cool off and grab something light to eat.

Like you we tend to do our table service meals at night. To be honest some of my favorite disney memories come from getting out of an Epcot restaurant after the park is mostly empty and enjoying a calm, cool walk back to the front of the park.

Thats what has worked for us. Most important with the florida heat is you really can't push yourself too much. Take mid-day breaks, cut through stores with A/C as much as possible and if you start feeling overheated or light headed take a break! The great part of going in the summer is extended hours so take advantage of that and take some breathers during the day.

And don't wear a black ball cap to keep the sun off your face! My brother did this one year and we ended up with him surrounded by paramedics in the middle of Epcot. Fortunately they got him cooled down and back to normal quickly but it was scary and tense afternoon.

rhonary
02-18-2011, 08:13 AM
We go in late Aug too...we used to use most of our adrs for dinner...but that can be kind of a hassle ...make sure you leave in time where ever you are to get there in time.. I'm sure you know the drill. The last couple of times we used more for b'fast ..get it done and out of the way and a good b'fast can last you a good part of the day. Last year we decided to do a couple of lunches and that worked out good too...we ate at the park we were in so it was easier that way and it is a nice break in the day to relax and take a breath...think we'll do that more often next time!

PrettyMinnie
02-18-2011, 09:35 AM
I have never been in late August, but have been in June and the heat was intense! The majority of the days we at a light breakfast at the park after we FPs a ride of our choice. And then made a lunch ADR around 1. Either in the park or at a resort nearby. This was when the heat was the worst and the crowds picked up. This way we could get out of the heat and relax. AC is wonderful!! For dinner we either went back to the resort and then used evening EMH or a QS meal in the parks.

forever a child
02-18-2011, 10:31 AM
So... just a few questions about how people have found using the DDP in the summer. We are going in late August -- I know, scorching heat, humidity -- so I'm curious how people use their credits during the crazy heat.

We are travelling during the free dining promotion, so I'll be online at 180 days at 6am to make sure we get any of the meals that are really important to us. ;)

My question is -- I know that in the heat, people tend to be less hungry -- you're going more for the Dole Whips and ice cream/ice cream floats than you are the big meals. We've never really been "lunch" people -- we prefer to have a few nice character bkfsts during our trip, and the majority of our TS meals have been in the evening.

But for summer, I'm wondering if it'd be better to change this up a bit?? Seeing as we'll be looking to get out of the heat in the afternoons and wanting to tour more in the early mornings & evenings, I'm wondering if on the days we don't necessarily want to go back to the resort and swim/relax, we'd be better of having a late lunch and using that time to get out of the sun.

So... looking for a bit of feedback on what people have found worked for them... I know we want to do 3 character bkfsts & the HDDR, but the rest of it is up in the air, depending on whether it'll be a late lunch or a late dinner we choose.

Thanks for any ideas/input -- it's our first venture to FL in the heat, and I want to make it work the best we can! :sun:

I am struggling with the same questions you are asking. This will be our first trip in late September and I know it will be hot still. We have been in May and June before....but that was back at a time when walk ups were more available. So we walked up and did meals at Tonys, GG, H&V. I think the only ADR I ever made during our first 3 years of visits was at Cinderella's Castle.

Now with Free Dinning and wanted to explore new restaurants and revisit some favorites...ADR's are required. So as our 180 day window approaches... I am trying to figure out what we will want and when during the hot days as well. I have 7 TS's on my list, two of which are breakfasts...and Beaches and Cream doesn't take ADR's....so that leaves me 4 meals to try and figure out if lunch or Dinner is best. It would help if I could get on the WDW website and see park hours, Fantasmic nights and MnSSHP dates. :( A bit frustrating really but I am thinking of about half and half...two mid day at lunch and two in the evening. I keep second guess myself though, LOL. :blush:

I think when it comes down to it...I would just schedule them the way your family eats. We tend to eat early dinners because my daughter had late night swim practices. So for us it will probably be late lunches or early dinners and hope that works.

Jared
02-18-2011, 10:35 AM
I think when it comes down to it...I would just schedule them the way your family eats. We tend to eat early dinners because my daughter had late night swim practices. So for us it will probably be late lunches or early dinners and hope that works.
I agree with this statement. I understand your concerns about the heat -- and it certainly will be scorching during your trip -- but I don't think it's necessary to change your typical Disney dining schedule exclusively for that reason. My family almost always eats counter service for lunch and table service for dinner. That system works well for us, regardless of the weather. Whatever makes you happy in the winter will almost definitely make you happy in the summer, too.

:)

Disney4us2
02-18-2011, 11:19 AM
We will be there Aug 16 to 25. I just made our ADR's, most of them for dinner. We plan on CS for lunch time with one or two lunch ADR's booked.

Our first trip was in July and I did mainly dinner ADR's. We just went back to the room during the hottest part of the day. Plan on doing that again for our August trip.

MarkC
02-18-2011, 11:38 AM
I wondered about that question as well because we went last July and used the dining plan for the first time. We ate all our TS meals in the evening. The only difference I noticed that of course we drank a lot more once we got to the restaurant. However, the restaurants are all kept comfortably cool and by the time our food arrived we ate normally. We just made sure not to do any major rides right afterwards.

We had used a cooling towel called a Frogtogg (and there are other brands on the market) that I strongly recommend for summer months. It really helped keep our bodies cool and avoid heat related issues.

thrillme
02-18-2011, 04:15 PM
Don't Table dine if you don't want to...Go to Ellen's World of Energy (lenghty ride but perfect for cooling down), Seed Tour ride, Nemo, AT&T globe, not sure if Carosal of Progress is still there...Bugs Life, Honey I shrunk...etc

Lots of indoor stuff that doesn't necessarily require a LOOOONNNGG wait. Schedule "log rides" or water rides.

Sometimes it gets really cool. One July my son got so chilly in Animal Kingdom I had to go buy him a long sleeve shirt from Rainforest...(fortunately it was on sale because it was out of season).

There are lots of ways to "cool" down without eating when you don't want to.

ElenitaB
02-18-2011, 07:16 PM
By mid afternoon the temps get high but you also need to factor in rain. July/August early to mid afternoon means pretty heavy, if brief, rain showers.
:exactly: This was our experience last summer as well. It didn't just rain (and I'm used to tropical rain)... it poured and not just for a few minutes.

I'd suggest early character breakfasts, early park arrivals and then TS dinners, with CS either before you head back to your resort to cool off with a swim or CS at your resort (or at DTD... nothing says "cool off" like some quality shopping time in air-conditioned stores ;) ). And with the heat, honestly, the last thing I want is a sitdown meal at mid-day.

Enjoy your planning! :cloud9: