PDA

View Full Version : Fantasmic Dinner Package, Yes or No?

forever a child
02-17-2011, 02:47 PM
Here's the deal....according to Intercot's newly released Sept park hours....Fantasmic is only going to be performed one night during our weeks visit (Sept 26 - Oct 2nd)! Hoping that changes...but only one night at this point means I should expect large crowds regardless of whether they do one or two shows that evening. Originally, I was planning to book ADR's for 50's Prime Time Cafe. DD enjoyed it there...I had fun too...not my FIRST choice to eat at, but then really I don't care for any place at DHS much compared to other options out there.

So my question is....to be on the safe side...should I book a Dinner package? Don't really want to splurge for the Brown Derby...so it is either Hollywood and Vine or Mama Melrose. We have eaten at H&V before and I like it ok...but that was before Character dining invaded the breakfast and lunch meals and I don't care to participate in that! So H&V would be a dinner option (but I prefer lunch at this park, just trying to be difficult I guess). We have never eaten at MM before but I have looked over their menu and it does not interest me in the least. I don't know why...but I just don't seem to care for much on the menu and really have not had any interest in trying it.

So what should I do? Stay with my original plans of booking ADR's at 50'sPT and plan on camping out for a show. Fantasmic is our FAVORITE night show...so missing it is NOT an option! Or should we choose MM or H&V and book the Fantasmic Package?

If they open up another show through the week....then I would feel less skeptical about the wait. But with only one night available....I think it is going to be crowded! :rant:

KylesMom
02-17-2011, 02:56 PM
Honestly, we wouldn't consider going to Fantasmic! without the dining package - and it's being shown 3 times per week during our next trip.

We've been doing it for years, and for a brief period two years ago when they took out the special entrance we were crushed. The line we had to wait in was incredible! :(

We tried H&V's dinner buffet back in 2000 or thereabouts, but changed over to Mama Melrose in 2001. It was just too loud & chaotic for our tastes. We've been going back ever since. However, if nothing appeals to you on the MM menu and you don't want to pay for HBD, I'd definitely consider H&V. You will still need to get to the amphitheater early, but not ridiculously so. You're right - if they really are showing Fantasmic only once that week, it will be nuts!

Kaps
02-17-2011, 03:30 PM
If there is only one show I would get a res package at mamma melrose if possible. Hollywood and vine is not that good IMHO.The show is very popular and you will get in for sure that way.

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-17-2011, 03:51 PM
I would not attempt it myself without the package, but we don't like H&V...we are going to give Mama's a chance on our next visit

Jared
02-17-2011, 04:42 PM
Since Fantasmic! is only running one night that week, I suppose I will reluctantly agree with the herd and recommend you purchase a dinner package. I usually find the package to be a waste, but I suppose it all depends on your tolerance to standing in line. I'd rather wait longer and sit closer to the middle of the stage. I didn't like the reserved section for the package and probably wouldn't use it again.

That said, when I tried the package, I think Fantasmic! was running almost every day. I imagine a lot has changed. That may sway my feelings in the future.

By the way, my family has actually had nothing but positive experiences at Mama Melrose's. It's not spectacular, but we easily prefer it to Hollywood & Vine.

forever a child
02-17-2011, 04:51 PM
I'd rather wait longer and sit closer to the middle of the stage. I didn't like the reserved section for the package and probably wouldn't use it again.

I agree, we would rather sit in center and wait in line longer for this location as well. But with one show night...hmmm...just not so sure anymore.

The only time we got the "Fantasmic Dinner Package" was back probably during our 2005 trip. We ate lunch at H&V as walk ups and they asked us if we going to see Fantasmic that evening. We told them we were and they offered us a voucher for Priority Reserved Seating. It was nice but I doubt they just hand them out now like they did back then.

Dulcee
02-17-2011, 06:39 PM
DBF and I did the dinning package our last trip at Mama Melrose. The food is good, we always enjoy it. It may not have the flair or wow of the brown derby but its always a pleasant dinning experience. It worked well for us as similar to your situation Fantasmic only ran one night.

The seats aren't the best but a guaranteed seat is better then no seat in my personal opinion. Plus if your on the basic dining plan its a meal that also comes with an appetizer (or at least it did when we were there last)

PETE FROM NYC
02-18-2011, 02:48 PM
Booking the dinner package is no guarantee of admission to Fantasmic. We did the package back in 07 and got turned away, we had to come back for the second showing.

forever a child
02-18-2011, 03:25 PM
Booking the dinner package is no guarantee of admission to Fantasmic. We did the package back in 07 and got turned away, we had to come back for the second showing.

Yes, I know and that is a good point. I was surprised that the info said the Dinner package was only good for the early showing.

Did they allow you to come back to the second showing and sit in the reserved seating area?

tbyrne77
02-20-2011, 01:18 AM
Where can you find which nights Fantasmic is scheduled? I tried to find it under park hours but I couldn't. It's probably obvious and I just missed it. We are going Sept 17-23. Thanks.

tbyrne77
02-20-2011, 01:20 AM
Lol. Just went back and found it, thanks anyway.

Cinderelley
02-20-2011, 01:45 AM
If it was me, I would definitely get the package.

YatesMom
04-08-2011, 09:59 PM
This will be our 3rd trip as a family. Going June 25-29. Plan on doing DHS on the 28th. Have never seen Fantasmic! and that is my one goal this trip. Have a 5:05 ressie at MM but after reading this thread, found a 3:35 Fantasmic Dinner Package at H&V. Will be DH, DD 8, DD 5 and DD 22 months. We ate at H&V for the character breakfast in 2008. Have never eaten at MM. REALLY want to see Fantasmic! but couldn't line up 2+ hours ahead of time to get a seat...kids and even DH can't be patient that long doing nothing but standing. So...what's your opinion? Which ressie should I keep and which one should I cancel? THANKS!!! :confused:

Daisy'sMom
04-09-2011, 08:26 AM
Every time we have eaten at MM, we were sorry we did.

forever a child
04-09-2011, 08:34 AM
This will be our 3rd trip as a family. Going June 25-29. Plan on doing DHS on the 28th. Have never seen Fantasmic! and that is my one goal this trip. Have a 5:05 ressie at MM but after reading this thread, found a 3:35 Fantasmic Dinner Package at H&V. Will be DH, DD 8, DD 5 and DD 22 months. We ate at H&V for the character breakfast in 2008. Have never eaten at MM. REALLY want to see Fantasmic! but couldn't line up 2+ hours ahead of time to get a seat...kids and even DH can't be patient that long doing nothing but standing. So...what's your opinion? Which ressie should I keep and which one should I cancel? THANKS!!! :confused:

I would keep the earlier reservation. The earlier the better. They will advise you of best arrival time for that day. Personally, I do not want MM. So I would choose H&V....but everyone has a different preference.

AllDisney
04-09-2011, 10:20 AM
We have eaten at MM a couple of times & had very good experiences both times. We love Brown Derby and eat there on every trip. We are not buffet people so don't know anything about H&V.

I would suggest that you get the package:thumbsup:

JPL
04-09-2011, 12:14 PM
I have used the package in the past and think it makes sense for me since I hate waiting in line for a show. I don't think the seats are really that bad either. I look at it this way I have to eat and I want to see the show so it makes perfect sense to me. I know lots of people think it's a waste but I would much rather squeeze a few attractions in over waiting in line. The biggest critiscism of the seats if that the Princess barges and the music don't match up perfectly.

Now with the reduced Fantasmic showings I wouldn't even think about seeing the show without the package.

Pete Olsen
04-09-2011, 12:19 PM
We have ADRs for MM on July 7 with the Fantasmic package. We love Mama Melrose, especially on the Fantasmic Package. We always have a great experience there.

YatesMom
04-09-2011, 01:32 PM
Just booked the trip Wednesday morning (short notice of vaca approval at work), so the only Fantasmic! packages available were Derby on 26th (w/2 DDP credits - we don't want to use 2 on one meal with the little ones) or H&V on 28th. MM ressie made first for the 28th isn't the "dinner package"...it's just a regular res. H&V is the dinner package (but is late to eat lunch/early to eat dinner). Maybe we'll do a later big breakfast and use this meal for "dinner" with an awesome Micky ice cream for pre-show treat. :tasty:
From everyone's comments, looks like I should stay with the package res regardless of the restaurant, if we are intent on seeing the show.
Maybe Fantasmic! will turn into an every trip event or maybe a one time deal. But it sounds like we've got to go once to see for ourselves.
Thanks for sharing your advice and prior experiences...it helps a lot!!

TheVBs
04-09-2011, 04:22 PM
We're hoping to book one end of Sept./early Oct. but they don't seem to have set any dates for it yet, tried online and tried calling. :(

HoosierDisneyFan
04-09-2011, 06:50 PM
We have seen Fantasmic several times (with and without the dinner package). In order to get a seat you either have to wait (standing) in a very long line or have the dinner package. Even with the dinner package you have to get there pretty early. Personally I would rather wait in a seat inside the outdoor theater than standing in a long line with hundreds of others.

The view from the reserve seats is fine in our opinion. Just don't sit too close to the front. You will get wet. I have asked the usher for advise.

jsw123
04-10-2011, 09:20 PM
I wouldn't want to wait in that line for FANTASMIC. The seats for those with reserve seating are just fine. We're going to Brown Derby this summer. Went to H&V last time. It was fine, just:mickey: OK. I'm with whoever said MM menu seemed unappetizing. Maybe not, but, I'll splurge for BD this time!

Pirate Granny
04-10-2011, 10:49 PM
We had a package two years ago, pouring rain...and NO SEATS LEFT in the reserved section 30 minutes before the show. What a disappointment. But that said, we'll try again when September opens up...horrible experience at MM where they actually refunded the meal...too bad we were on the meal plan and we were leaving the next day. Wouldn't even offer a coupon for two months for our next trip. Manager actually wanted me to still leave a tip..LOL...Again, that said, my niece likes Italian food, so, yes, I'll try again.
:pirate:

Mickey'sGirl
04-11-2011, 08:18 AM
Our only option for seeing Fantasmic is to go with the Package (both of our sons are Autistic, and DS7 would be a mess after a long wait in a crowded line). I would choose Hollywood and Vine over Mama Melrose (both the food and service were poor in our experience), but I would choose The Brown Derby over both. We will be dining at The Brown Derby in August for our package. .... and it's not the seating at Fantasmic that gets me .... it's the horrendous departure! Such mayhem! :crowd::crowd::crowd:

EvilQueen2006
04-11-2011, 07:48 PM
I always try to get the package, and I prefer H&V over MM. I actually think H&V has an excellent selection of food for someone who doesn't eat a lot of meat. It's one of my favorites. (I know a lot of people disagree.)

jonahbear2006
04-12-2011, 12:39 AM
Id go with the H&V package. Its vacation. dont wait if you dont have to, not if you are gonna eat anyways. I wouldnt choose MM, even though I havent eaten there and here is why. We rarely go to an Italian place for food anywhere in the U.S. and when we do it is The old spaghetti factory. The only reason we do is because of the ambiance. My husband and I can whip up a crazy amazing Italian meal at home for under $10 for our family, so I just cannot rationalize eating a sub-par italian meal that I wont be happy with for over $100. Pasta is about as cheap as food comes. Same goes for Mexican. I refuse to eat tacos for expensive prices when I can cook 50 tacos for about $7. I love eating in Disney World and being waited on in general, i love ambiance, but if I am gonna do this I am either going for a really large array of foods or a gourmet style. Just the way we are. I guess, unless I were pregnant and just really craving a taco or a bowl of spaghetti. :thumbsup: