PDA

View Full Version : Flight Advice

JessC416
02-17-2011, 09:55 AM
So we're booked for CSR 9/21-9/27 and I'm wondering about when to purchase flights. We can flight out of one of two airports (Prov or Boston) and want non-stop. I know connecting flights are cheaper but i have enough anxiety landing and takeing off once in a day much less twice. when should i start looking at flights? earlier later? is there a better time of week to book or a cheaper time of day to fly? we'd like to fly earlyish on 9/21 to have some time to relax at resort before starting the parks the next day. are there better worse airlines? I've only ever flown non-stop to Orlando on SW
Thank you!

TinkerbellT421
02-17-2011, 10:11 AM
Hi Jess!! :)

I have some experience with SW and being from the general area (We fly out of Providence) I hope I can help.

Personally, DBF is a plan nut and also keeps a close eye on flights. We usually end up purchasing the flights for our trip the day they come out. We have found that if you buy them the day they come out they are cheaper than if you wait. DBF for the past couple years has done that and then will keep an eye on those same flights we originally purchased to see if it was a good idea, or if they end up being cheaper. Well usually the day after they come out they end up nearly doubling for what we get them for. Don't know why or how but it does lol. So we usually get the best deal the day they come out.

Secondly, we always fly non-stop because I too have anxiety issues, extreme anxiety :blush: Yes you may get a connector flight a little cheaper but we find the amount of saving versus the hassle is never worth it to us. Because even though it may be cheaper its not that much cheaper that it makes it worth it. Plus the faster you get there!! :) We always take the earliest flight available, which I believe this year was sometime between 6-7. Cant remember if it was 6:15 or 6:45 or something like that. Way too early in the morning for me to pay attention. All I know is I was awake at 4:30am lol. Then for the return flight we usually take one of the later ones. I think this year was around 6 or 7 at night as well. Because then Magical Express didnt have to pick us up till around 3 so we were able to enjoy our last day in Epcot :D

To find out when the flights come out for your trip I know if you go to Southwests website it will tell you when the flights are going to be coming out for certain periods. I believe if you go to the search flight area and you type in your days a message in red will pop up at the top, if those flights are not out yet and will say something along the lines of "September 18-Novemeber 18 will be available by June 18th". Thats just an example because I do not know exactly off the top of my head on how long out they let you book flights. Hope this helps :D And have a great vacation!!!

JessC416
02-17-2011, 10:29 AM
hi!
Thanks that did help!! I prefer Prov because its so much easier than any other airport. I've been to Newark, JFK, and Logan for various reasons and hated the sheer size of them. Conversely, I flew out of Hartford on the last trip and hated it because the runway was so small! I also like Southwest, but my BF has only ever flown United and Jetblue (or a military Cargo plane!) so he doesn't care. Basically to him anything thats not 18 hrs to a desert is fine! If you don't mind me asking how are the new security features at Green? Last time I flew out of there was 2002.

TinkerbellT421
02-17-2011, 10:49 AM
hi!
Thanks that did help!! I prefer Prov because its so much easier than any other airport. I've been to Newark, JFK, and Logan for various reasons and hated the sheer size of them. Conversely, I flew out of Hartford on the last trip and hated it because the runway was so small! I also like Southwest, but my BF has only ever flown United and Jetblue (or a military Cargo plane!) so he doesn't care. Basically to him anything thats not 18 hrs to a desert is fine! If you don't mind me asking how are the new security features at Green? Last time I flew out of there was 2002.

TF Green has gone through so many changes since then!! They have recently installed a "people mover"...silly if you ask me but whatever floats their boat I guess lol.

I would advice taking a ride down there and checking out the new lay out first, because you dont want to get there and remember it the way it USED to be and then find that its completely different. Its way better in a lot of aspects, its a lot faster than it used to be, a lot less confusing, and really cute inside with all the changes they have made in terms of appearance. They have a new parking garage as well. But my advice if your keeping a vehicle there for your trip park in garage "C"...there commercials always say "Park for peanuts in Garage C"...I believe for our trip this year it cost us $75.00 to store the vehicle there. And it was in the garage so it wasn't outside and we didnt have to dig it out of all the snow we had while we were gone!!! lol. Let me know if you need any advice on it DBF knows the airport well seeing our company is doing work there.

vicster
02-17-2011, 11:22 AM
Personally, DBF is a plan nut and also keeps a close eye on flights. We usually end up purchasing the flights for our trip the day they come out. We have found that if you buy them the day they come out they are cheaper than if you wait. DBF for the past couple years has done that and then will keep an eye on those same flights we originally purchased to see if it was a good idea, or if they end up being cheaper. Well usually the day after they come out they end up nearly doubling for what we get them for. Don't know why or how but it does lol. So we usually get the best deal the day they come out.

Last week Southwest released flights for September dates (I'm going 9/24 - 9/30). I booked flights out of Chicago the day they were released and the next day the prices went up $53.00 each way. I know the prices will fluctuate a lot between now and September but I'm happy with the prices I got.

JessC416
02-17-2011, 11:41 AM
I booked my flights. a little higher than I wanted but less than I pd last time and the times are exactly perfect.

Dream'nDisney
02-20-2011, 09:36 AM
We could have saved approximately $240 (total) if we would have flown out of Indianapolis, but it was a connecting flight. I have that same anxiety, and just want to get to WDW once I am at the airport! Plus, we would have had to drive an extra two hours to get to and from that airport. Instead, we spent more, but are able to get a straight flight out of STL. Peace of mind is worth the money to me!! :D

NH Disneyfan
02-20-2011, 11:14 AM
I fly to Orlando from Boston 1-2 times per year and have been doing so for 10 years now. While I could do SW from Manchester or Boston, I've found those flights to be more expensive and schedules come out later.

Right now, I am loyal to Delta (BOS-MCO) for the 11 month booking window, flight times and price. While their customer service and changes are a nightmare, I generally get tix/times for the price I want and get to/from Orlando in a harmless fashion.

We are on the 7am non-stop from Boston and 11am non-stop from Orlando for our upcoming August trip. The 7am will be a challenge to get to with 2 kids, but we'll have the ENTIRE day in the magic kingdom.

All 4 tix cost $900 and we carry-on luggage. You really can't beat this unless you have amazing patience and watch daily.

Good luck!

yankeesfan123
02-20-2011, 06:19 PM
Worcester!

They only fly on Saturdays, Sundays, Thursdays (which doesn't help you), but they are much easier and cheaper than even TF Green.

They are running a sale right now. $169 total for round trip tickets from Worcester-Sanford and they are open ended tickets (don't choose the dates/passenger names yet).

Can't beat that price. The airline is "direct air". Google it. The sale is right on the main page.