PDA

View Full Version : Hi All! A "tall" question

Brian McFan
02-17-2011, 08:55 AM
I'll be in WDW in less than 2 weeks... At 6'5, are there any rides that I should stay away from. I'm most interested in Space Mountain, Rock-n-Roller Coaster, Splash Mountain, and Mission Space. Any suggestions?

KylesMom
02-17-2011, 09:09 AM
My DH (Dear Husband) is 6' 5.5", so I'm more than familiar with this topic. :D

While it's always a bit of a challenge for DH to debark from the attractions you mentioned, it has never stopped him from experiencing these (they're among his favorites). Space Mountain is probably the worst of the four as far as prying himself out of the seat.

The attractions that give us more problems are Astro Orbiters (has to ride single) and Tea Cups - DS (Dear Son) is getting quite a set of legs on himself, and with DH's stems the three of us absolutely cannot fit into one cup any longer.

The only attraction that DH absolutely gave up on is Dumbo. :mickey:

Hey, Welcome to INTERCOT!

Brian McFan
02-17-2011, 09:13 AM
Thank you. I think its terrible to wait in line for an hour, only to find out you don't fit in the seat due to leg room. And its embarassing as well...

KylesMom
02-17-2011, 09:21 AM
Most of the rides at Disney do tall pretty well.

Although off-topic, I wanted to point out that each of the four attractions you mentioned have Disney's FastPass system in place. If you are unfamiliar with it, I have included a link below, taking you to our InfoCentral area which explains the benefit in detail. With FastPass, you shouldn't be waiting in line for an hour!

Disney's FastPass System (http://www.intercot.com/themeparks/tickets/fastpass/default.asp)

Brian McFan
02-17-2011, 09:27 AM
Darn nice of you, Kyle's Mom. Expedition Everest is another of my interests. Does your DH have issues with that?

KylesMom
02-17-2011, 09:32 AM
None at all. In fact, with Expedition Everest being a newer attraction, it actually seems to have more leg room than the other coasters. I daresay those seats are more spacious than the airplane's! :D

MarkC
02-17-2011, 09:41 AM
Hi Brian,

I am 6'4" and have a son named Brian who is 6'5", so we have some experience in this area. The worst by far is Space Mountain. I have long legs and can't get them under the restraining bar. Therefore, at every drop and turn the support jams into my thighs. If you have long legs I would avoid that ride.

Splash Mountain is ok but not great. If you can ride that one in your row alone or with a small child you'll be ok. With another adult it could be very difficult. They've just added lap bars so I don't know how that will change anything. I really don't have a big problem with anything else other than the need to shift legs occasionally to make them comfortable. You should be ok on everything but Space Mountain. Too bad because I used to really enjoy the ride but the pain became too much.

Brian McFan
02-17-2011, 09:43 AM
You've been terrific. Can't thank you enough. With those words, I'll venture one more question: Mission Space is the only experience I simply cannot wait for. Please tell me I'll fit..

disneymom15
02-17-2011, 09:47 AM
My daughters boyfriend is quite tall also, on Space Mountain he always asks to sit in the lead position (driver position). He has a little more leg room in that seat.

Daisy'sMom
02-17-2011, 09:53 AM
Can I just add something. When sitting for shows, try to sit near the back. I am 5' and it is so hard to see around the big guys.
Have a wonderful trip.:mickey:

Brian McFan
02-17-2011, 09:57 AM
Not a problem. I'm always looking for the fast exit...

KylesMom
02-17-2011, 10:00 AM
Brian, you'll need to duck when you're ready to board your spacecraft but Mission Space won't be a problem either. Have a great time! :mickey:

Brian McFan
02-17-2011, 10:08 AM
Ducking is a constant habit. Thanks again so much...

MarkC
02-17-2011, 11:33 AM
No problems on Mission Space. Even Test Track is ok but try to sit on one of the outside seats.

Also, Rock n Roller Coaster has two rows--there is more leg room in the front row than the back, so tell the cast member you'd like to sit in the front row and they'll accomodate you. I think Big Thunder Mountain Railroad is the same and you want the front row. These types of things I always remember.

Mitzie
02-17-2011, 11:36 AM
My DH feels your pain. He is 6' 7. Of the attractions you listed he only struggles with Space Mtn.

Brian McFan
02-17-2011, 12:09 PM
Thanks Mark and Mitzie. This is really helpful. If I can get thru Mission Space, all else is gravy...

McLiberal8
02-17-2011, 12:25 PM
Ducking is a constant habit. Thanks again so much...

Just have to point out how fitting this statement was, with your avatar. :D

Brian McFan
02-17-2011, 12:49 PM
Just have to point out how fitting this statement was, with your avatar. :D

LOL! Eggs-actly!

EJS-Houston
02-17-2011, 03:19 PM
Thank you. I think its terrible to wait in line for an hour, only to find out you don't fit in the seat due to leg room. And its embarassing as well...

Man, I SO empathize with you there! I'm only 6'2" but built like a linebacker, and when visiting other theme parks have frequently gotten all the way up to the ride only to be told I can't ride 'cause they can't get the harness down over my shoulders or some such nonsense. I've never once had that happen at DisneyWorld, however...and all the rides you mentioned are favorites of mine. As the previous poster said, you might have to lever yourself out of Space Mountain, but I'd bet you'll be perfectly fine to ride whatever you want.

Brainiak5
02-17-2011, 07:46 PM
I'm 6'3" 300 pounds shaped like a big rectangle. The only ride I've had issues with was Space Mountain- really bangs the knees.

Mission Space is no problem - you'll love it!

mickeys_princess_mom
02-17-2011, 09:50 PM
My husband is 6'8", and hated Soarin'! I couldn't imagine why until he said he felt like he was leaning forward and ready to fall out the whole time. Legs were too long to be secure in seat!
We often choose the first seat in boat rides, etc.

Brian McFan
02-18-2011, 07:36 AM
I'm 6'3" 300 pounds shaped like a big rectangle. The only ride I've had issues with was Space Mountain- really bangs the knees.

Mission Space is no problem - you'll love it!

This is the very best news. Thanks to all for your help, comments, and suggestions. Interestingly, on our last (and only) trip, some 6years ago, I actually was able to fit on Space Mountain, using the backseat. Didn't attempt anything else due to previously stated concerns. Things will be different this time (i pray)

vizsla
02-18-2011, 04:28 PM
Hey Brian McFan - You guys have a great time and a safe trip, talk with you when you get back and hope everything works out with you becoming a DVC member.

SpecJoe Magic
02-19-2011, 02:05 AM
My husband is 6'8", and hated Soarin'! I couldn't imagine why until he said he felt like he was leaning forward and ready to fall out the whole time. Legs were too long to be secure in seat!
We often choose the first seat in boat rides, etc.

I'm 6'8'' as well, and I'd never heard about nor considered a person's extra height to be a problem for this ride. I'm not saying it's not a legitimate concern for your husband, but I'm saying this so that the topic starter is aware that it's not an issue for all tall people.

Space Mountain- It can be painful if you don't sit a certain way. What I do is opt for the back seat of a rocket (loading rows 3 and 6), which has more legroom. Then I spread my knees and slide as far forward in the seat as I comfortably can. This helps keep the lap bar pressure off of my thighs and decreases the amount of pinch that I feel. It's still not comfortable, but it makes it bearable. Also, the front seat in a rocket (loading rows 1 and 4) has more knee room, but you would have less leg room there. It's really just a matter of preference. Just make sure you don't sit in the middle seat of a rocket (loading rows 2 and 5). If the Cast Member doesn't seat you where you want to sit, request a different number.

Splash Mountain- I cross my ankles and spread my knees as I sit down. I call it the "pretzel" technique." I don't know if the newly installed lap bars will pose problems. My legs tend to ache a little towards the end of the ride, but it's not a huge deal.

Thunder Mountain- I also use the "pretzel technique" here, and it's actually more comfortable than Splash Mountain.

Rock 'n' Roller Coaster- It's not an issue at all as long as you sit in the front part of a car. Each coaster train has multiple individual cars that are all linked together to form a coaster train. All of the odd numbers are front rows while all of the even numbers are back rows. Make sure to sit in an odd numbered row.

Test Track- Similar situation as Rock 'n' Roller Coaster. Once again, make sure to sit in an odd numbered row.

Mission: Space- Leg room is surprisingly ample inside those pods. You won't be able to stretch out your legs by any means, but it's actually one of the most comfortable ride vehicles for me in all of WDW.

Expedition Everest- Plenty of leg room exists here as well. Also a comfortable ride vehicle.

All of the boat rides (Pirates of the Caribbean, Small World, etc.) have a lot more leg room in the front row of the boat in the middle of the row due to the way the boat has a point on the front. I've been told that the entire back row has a little more leg room than the rest of the boat (other than that one seat I just mentioned), but I don't know for sure. That said, I can make do in any row on bench seating attractions as long as too many people aren't in the same row with me, which allows me to spread out my legs more (this sort of thing applies to attractions such as Kilamanjaro Safaris that have bench seating just like the boat rides).

You will probably have to ride Astro Orbiter in a rocket by yourself unless you ride with a small person and the same possibly goes for Dumbo, though I'm not as certain about it since I've not been on it in so long. Riding in a vehicle by yourself can alleviate a few potential problems, so always keep that in mind as an option, though that's not necessary for the most part.

I seem to recall that it was nearly impossible for me to fit into Goofy's Barnstormer, and it was extremely uncomfortable. It's not worth the trouble. Besides, I think it will be closed while you are there due to the Fantasyland expansion construction.

I'm able to experience everything at WDW by being aware of potential problems and finding suitable alternatives. As you approach a ride vehicle while you are still in line, look over the vehicle and try to figure out the best place to sit as well as the best way to sit. This might help with any attractions that you aren't sure about.

Finally, here is a link to the "Large and In Charge" section of Info Central at Intercot that has advice from numerous Intercot members, including myself, about this very subject. http://intercot.com/infocentral/misc/largeandincharge.asp

If you have any more questions about this subject or whatever else, please feel free to send me a private message on the discussion boards and I'll do my best to answer them. I've been going to WDW for many years and figuring out how to ride attractions as comfortably as possible is something that I know a lot about.

TheRustyScupper
02-19-2011, 05:59 PM
. . . At 6'5, are there any rides that I should stay away from . . .

1) I am 6'4" - medium legs, tall torso.
2) My problem rides
. . . Splash Mtn - lap bar bangs knees badly
. . . Thunder Mtn - knees on back of front seat
. . . Boat Rides - OK, just sit a little sideways *

* Pirates Caribbean, Mexico, small world

Brian McFan
02-21-2011, 06:28 PM
Thank you SpecJoe, et al. I printed your response and will take it with me!

tiggerbuddy
02-22-2011, 08:16 PM
I'm 6'3 and agree with this comment:

The worst by far is Space Mountain. I have long legs and can't get them under the restraining bar.

Brian McFan
03-02-2011, 01:50 PM
Day 3 of our stay and have not found anything I couldn't fit in thanks to all your recommendations. Even Space Mountain was acceptable but that restrainig bar needs to be designed. Everything else was ho problem at all. This place is really something!

KylesMom
03-02-2011, 01:57 PM
So glad you're enjoying the magic, Brian! :mickey:

Brian McFan
03-02-2011, 02:04 PM
Thanks KM! Weather has been terrific, and with my new DVC membership, this type vacation will be an annual experience! Just finished EPCOT, after quick lunch, heading back to DHS (my personal favorite of the theme parks.

Imagineer1981
03-02-2011, 05:00 PM
On Space, seats 2 and 3 and 5 and 6 are the best for tall guys. You are able to slide your legs up under the seat in front of you and that helps alot.

ShinynewJB
03-09-2011, 09:54 AM
I'm 6 foot 5, and I'd never really thought about this before! But yeah, Space Mountain can be quite uncomfortable at times. It's never stopped me from riding it, though. If you fancy it, go for it, just appreciate it might be a squash.

Didn't they recently rennovate it though? I haven't been on it since 2008, so maybe they remedied this with a new car design? Can someone chime in on this?

Just about every other ride is fine, I'd say. Although I haven't seen on Dumbo or the Astro Blasters since 2001, so I can't comment on those types of rides.