PDA

View Full Version : Choice of dates

steamboat52
02-16-2011, 07:16 PM
My family (mom, dad, two single sons in their 20's) are going to WDW for a very special celebration. We can go either the last week of January 2012 (could include the first few days of Feb. if necessary) or the last week/10 days of May 2012.

I need help making the decision as to which time frame we should go. I'm interested in your input regarding crowds, weather, cost and open attractions, due to various closures and refurb. We love every park, but Magic Kingdom is my first love, esp Fantasyland.:mickey:

We'd like to stay at AKL again, but will give the boys the option of a differnt resort if they'd rather. (open to input on that matter, too)

I'm looking forward to what you have to say!

Tygger7
02-17-2011, 09:49 AM
I would recommend the last 2 weeks of May. It seems like Jan & Feb have the most refurbs, so unless you're really desperate to escape cold weather, I'd go in May. The weather is usually awesome and if you go before Memorial Day, crowds are very manageable. Plus, they'll be further along on the Fantasyland expansion. :mickey:

faline
02-17-2011, 10:52 AM
Late January / early February has unpredictable weather and, as noted, a number of refurbishments are slated during this time frame. I just got back and had below normal temperatures and crowds were larger than I would have expected for this time frame. This is also a popular time for tour groups which tends to increase crowding as well.

The last two weeks of May are quite hot and humid. I've heard that May crowds are increasing as well. Crowds also begin to increase as schools let out for the summer. During this time frame, you also see quite a lot of school groups visiting.

It's hard to tell how the Fantasyland refurbishment will be going and when, exactly, it will be finished. Construction is certainly progressing in the areas where it began last year. The area that was Toontown is now closed down and construction will likely be expanding into this area as well in the near future.

iloveokw
02-19-2011, 06:42 PM
I would vote for January unless you want to go home with a suntan. Lower crowds.

NH Disneyfan
02-19-2011, 07:52 PM
January can be brutal weather. I vote May.

Fangorn
02-20-2011, 01:36 PM
As already mentioned, May will be hot and humid. Crowds will fairly heavy by the middle of May and increase as you head into June. Note that Star Wars Weekends are typically the last 2 weekends in May and the first 2 weekends in June, so if your boys are Star Wars fans like mine are (also in their 20s), this would be an added plus for going in May.

We've been there at the end of January/first of February a couple of times. One was nice weather - sunny and warm during the day, cool at night. The other was rainy and chilly all the time. We just got back from a short trip on Thursday and during the 3 days we were there we had highs from the low 60s to right at 80.

On the plus side for Jan/Feb, the crowds are much lighter than in May, but that doesn't mean the crowds don't exist.

Steve