PDA

View Full Version : can a non vacation club member buy vacation club points to us

wdwfan12
02-16-2011, 04:56 PM
Hello all

Can a non vacation club member buy vacation points to use from somebody who is a member? If so, I am looking to travel 3/6/11-3/13/11, to Walt Disney World. If I am able to do this, buy vacation points, can I also buy a dining program from Disney? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Strmchsr
02-16-2011, 05:52 PM
Are you asking to buy permanently (like a re-sale) or renting points from someone? Both are possible, though point renting tends to be a little risky unless you know the person very well. You can definitely buy points from someone. Check the Timeshare Store link (Intercot Sponsor) and that'll give you all of the info. If you're looking to rent, maybe someone can suggest a reputable broker. As for the DDP, yes, it's possible for someone with the DVC to get the DDP, though I think the Tables in Wonderland card is a much better deal. Not sure if you can get that just renting points, though.

DizneyRox
02-16-2011, 08:18 PM
TiW = AP or Florida resident only.

Renting points doesn't get you a discount on the AP, only members and close relatives (think mom, dad, and children of the member, I'm not even sure siblings get it) living in the same household as the member get the discount.

iloveokw
02-19-2011, 06:38 PM
Yes, you can rent points. You can also do the dining plan, you have to pay for it when you request it. Only the member can make the reservation for the room and the dining plan and you would have to work out with them how to pay for both. Unfortunately, you are only two weeks or so out so there may not be availability. Any rental transaction is based on trusting someone you have never met.

AndrewJackson
02-20-2011, 02:27 PM
Hi wdwfan12,

We have rented DVC points for our past vacations - I am guessing around 5 or 6 times by now. It is a really, really good deal. You can basically stay at a deluxe resort for a price that is often less than a moderate.

We have been able to stay at Beach Club Villas, Villas at Wilderness Lodge, Old Key West, and Saratoga Springs this March.

You typically pay between $10-$12 per point. There are various contracts out there. Some require full payment at inception. Others require 50% down payment, and full payment due 30 days prior to arrival. Some contracts offer a full refund, others a partial refund, or no refund upon cancellation.

There are some other Disney boards out there that have rent board. You would create an account, and post your needs. Within 24 hours, you will probably have 2 or 3 replies.

There is also a guy from Canada that acts as a broker. He charges a flat rate of $13 per point, and requires full payment at inception, and no refunds. If you don't want to take a chance on signing a contract with someone you have never met, this guy has several referals. However, we have never had a problem with an owner. If you Google Dave's Disney Vacation, you should be able to find him.

He also has a last minute special newsletter. We signed a contract with him using the last minute special for $9 per point. So, we are staying at Saratoga Springs for 6 nights for a total of $900. Since it is a rental contract, there is no tax. If we were to book the same 6 nights through Disney, the rack rate with tax would be $2700. You can see the difference. We are basically staying at Saratoga Springs for the same or less than the All Star rack rate.

Recently, Disney has been doing some deep discounts from the rack rate, but this was still cheaper than Port Orleans, with the discount. It was going to be around $1100.

Advantages
Cost
Cost
Cost
Stay at a deluxe for the cost of a value or moderate.

Disadvantage
No maid service
You will only receive new towels and trash one day during the week.

PM me, if you need more info.