PDA

View Full Version : Sci-Fi or 50's prime time

Scrappy2
02-16-2011, 10:26 AM
Traveling with DH, DD (16) and DGS (2). Which restaurant is better? We have never been to either one and would like to try on on our upcoming trip.

WishingStar2006
02-16-2011, 11:20 AM
I would say 50's Prime Time....the atmosphere is cute, the wait staff can be incredibly funny and interactive and the food is GREAT!!! While Sci-Fi is unique in the atmosphere...it's very dark, could be scary for a 2 year old and the food is just so-so...in my opinion!

MarkC
02-16-2011, 11:40 AM
Agree with Wishing-- I think your youngest will like the atmosphere better and they have a much larger menu. Also agree that Sci-Fi could be a little scary, even for a 6 year old at times.

MOJoe
02-16-2011, 11:41 AM
Regarding food there is no comparison. Prime Time is much better. It's hard to beat "mom's home cookin". And Sci-Fi's best offerings are no better than any counter service place.

But for setting, Sci-Fi wins hands down. I know the food there is average at best, but the drive in movie theme is so cool that i visit Sci-Fi every trip. Every time i walk in, i still say "Wow!"

brownie
02-16-2011, 11:43 AM
I have never eaten at 50's Prime Time Cafe, but after our last trip that would be my choice. We did not have a good experience at the Sci-Fi Dine-in. Extremely long wait even with an advance dining reservation and another long wait for our food.

DisneyFr33k
02-16-2011, 11:48 AM
50's is so much better not only in atmosphere (really funny wait staff), but in the quality of food. Sci Fi - dark, hokey clips that run over and over (they don't even run enough to fill a half hour) and the food was sub par at best.

Scrappy2
02-16-2011, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the information. I have booked 50's Prime Time.

DisneyFr33k
02-16-2011, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the information. I have booked 50's Prime Time.

You'll love it!

RBrooksC
02-16-2011, 11:58 AM
If you have younger children, it is always best to do things that get your server to "scold" you. The children LOVE to see their parents or relatives getting in "trouble" for doing things at the table.

Momto2Princesses&1Pirate
02-16-2011, 01:42 PM
My kids still talk and laugh about the time Daddy got sent back to the bathroom to wash his hands because he didn't know the color of the soap. You'll have a great time.

brivers222
02-16-2011, 03:37 PM
Sci-Fi is cool in atmosphere but the food quality and choices really leaves a lot to be desired. Definitely stick with burgers if you eat there though!

50's is my favorite place to dine at MGM (or HS) the food is amazing and the decor reminds me of being at grandpas.

Disney_pups2
02-16-2011, 05:21 PM
I personally liked the 50's cafe, BUT if you have a shy, don't want to be apart of things husband or daughter I wouldn't do this restaurant. I know my son wouldn't enjoy it at all as they tend to be "playfully picking" on people, some constantly and it can be uncomfortable for some. Sci Fi does have a nice relaxing atmosphere.. great for a little one to crash for a nap as it is dark and not real loud. The food was so-so.

NH Disneyfan
02-17-2011, 06:47 PM
50s without question

johnO
02-20-2011, 08:34 PM
we love 50s

GBBT
02-21-2011, 11:21 AM
Pass on both.

darthmacho
02-22-2011, 11:08 AM
Having eaten at both places just last summer, I'd lean towards Sci-Fi, but that's my personal preference too. I thought the "home-cooked" food at 50's was a little boring, and the waitress we had was rather passive compared to others around us. As for Sci-Fi, I thought the food was a little more interesting, and the atmosphere was great. :mickey:

TinkerbellT421
02-22-2011, 11:32 AM
Another vote for 50's here. The atmosphere is fun and I am sure your DD, DGS and DH will get a kick out of it, make sure you get your DD or DH to put his elbows on the table!! :thumbsup: And Hopefully someone will not eat all their vegetables!! lol Its a lot of fun with the right server. And even if your server by change might be a little "boring" compared to the others, its very fun to watch the other tables around you when the servers are getting into a "family tiff" or repramanding others during dinner. Ive always had fun. :thumbsup:

I also agree that for DGS (2) Sci-Fi might be a little too "scary" for his age. It can be loud due to the movies they show and all the "aliens" shows they show during dinner that he might get a little freaked out and it being a very "dark-at-night" type scenary might put the fear over the age a little bit.

I would try to get a ressie at 50's and then maybe if you can stop by Sci-Fi in your travel and ask to see the inside to determine what you think. You can always switch if you think you might enjoy it better.

The food is basically ok at either. I wouldn't compare the food seeing they are different but neither one food wise is "out of the park" better than the other. IMHO.

Katzateer
02-22-2011, 03:09 PM
We really like Sci Fi for a late meal (and I always get a burger-they are great). I find the dark, just relaxing and watching the clips a way to chill at the end of a busy park day. I like the food and theme of 50 primetime but my girls and husband don't really like to get all that interaction when eating

SandmanGStefani24
02-22-2011, 04:52 PM
Depends what you are looking for...if you want a real meal id say the diner. If you want a little fun and a quick bite id say the drive in.
I love them both but if you are pretty hungry comfort food always hits the spot.

Dream'nDisney
02-22-2011, 07:02 PM
Our kids have loved Sci-Fi ever since they were toddlers! And we all love their cheeseburgers and milkshakes. Sci-Fi is a must for us every trip. They also have glow in the dark ice cubes for the kids' drinks if you order them. Watching the retro drive-in is entertaining. The kids love "sitting in the front seat."

We like 50's Prime Time too, but just not as much. We actually haven't eaten there in years, but do have ressies there this time; one of DH's choices. We each pick one or two restaurants that are a "must," so everyone is happy. Either one you pick, you will have fun. As with anything, it is what you make of it.

JPL
02-22-2011, 07:08 PM
I would vote for the 50's Primetime since your kids will get a kick out of Mommy & Dady being treated like kids and getting yelled at by the server. I love the atmosphere at the Sci-Fi but the food is subpar IMHO

ransam
02-23-2011, 12:33 AM
I might have to try the Sci-Fi again. I didn't like it when i went. maybe i need to get it another try.

LudwigVonDrake
02-24-2011, 04:23 PM
If you can swing it: Sci-Fi for lunch and the 50s for dinner. Both are favorite restaurants of mine :eat:

pamickeys
03-02-2011, 03:43 PM
Sci Fi , the cocktails are great.

Fastpasssteve
03-02-2011, 10:43 PM
I enjoy the menu at 50's, but I enjoy the atmosphere better at the Drive In Diner.

It depends on what hold more sway for you.

Ramblingman
03-08-2011, 04:03 PM
I think you did well by making reservations at 50's. The whole atmosphere is wonderful. The waiting room is like a living room with old shows like Leave it To Beaver being played on tv screens.

The staff really get into the roles, and you can get the lighted ice cubes in drinks there as well as Sci Fi. Plus the menu is more varied, and they have great desserts.

That being said, if you want to try out Sci Fi and have a few minutes, you can walk in and get seats in the back without waiting for a car. They have round tables against the back wall and it's perfect for cooling off for a few minutes and getting a quick burger or ice cream and drink. That way you can absorb the atmosphere and it's not quite as dark there so it should not be quite as scary.

Enjoy.

AllDisney
03-08-2011, 04:36 PM
Our family would vote from 50's Prime Time.

NJGIRL
03-08-2011, 06:55 PM
We like the Sci Fi better, but the Prime Time is fun also.