PDA

View Full Version : Misunderstanding Disneyworld

ransam
02-12-2011, 05:48 PM
Have you ever come accross people who really have no idea about DIsneyworld?
they think it's for kids....
or thing that MK is all there is to disney....My boss is going w/ her family and she was telling me they were just planning 1 day and should be able to see everything at DIsneyworld, and then 1 day at seaworld, etc... i tried to explain that no way could she do eveything in 1 day...I tried to explain that DIsneyworld is 4 parks, 2 water parks, and numerous other things, but she just didn't understand that....
I just don't think some people understand how massive and how much there is to do there....

gerald72
02-12-2011, 06:47 PM
Haha. I had an ex-gf who was planning on having a free day in Florida. She said she was planning to do the Disney parks in the morning, and the Universal parks that night.

Georgesgirl1
02-12-2011, 06:49 PM
The thing I love is when people say things like, "I am going to Disney World to go see the Harry Potter stuff." Ummm...good luck with that!

Daisy'sMom
02-12-2011, 06:51 PM
I just hate it when people call the MK "Disneyworld". You know, they say things like, " we went to Epcot, Hollywood Studios, Animal Kingdom and Disneyworld."
I swear my blood pressure rises.:mickey:

Momto3littlemice
02-12-2011, 07:15 PM
My pet peeve is when people call Disneyworld, Disneyland. And then if you say "actually Disneyworld is in Florida and Disneyand is in CA" they say something like "oh, same difference" Um, no.:mickey:

Darbylew
02-12-2011, 07:20 PM
I know just what you mean. I have people that
say that they are going to WDW but they will are only going to do Disney. I then say the same thing there 4 parks and they all have
different names. They really think that the MK
is Disney.

luvdiznee
02-12-2011, 07:47 PM
Haha. I had an ex-gf who was planning on having a free day in Florida. She said she was planning to do the Disney parks in the morning, and the Universal parks that night.

WOW, she is going to be so tired.:silly:

It's funny too, when people ask about a Disney bus getting them to Universal Studios.

ransam
02-13-2011, 03:30 PM
oh i forgot about those that think MK is disneyworld....my friend and i were talking about a few weeks ago....that drives me up a wall.

Granny Jill A
02-14-2011, 01:31 PM
Have you ever come accross people who really have no idea about DIsneyworld? They think it's for kids....
or think that MK is all there is to disney......
I just don't think some people understand how massive and how much there is to do there....

Most of my co-workers don't understand how I can go back again and again. Haven't I seen and done everything there is to do? They also shudder at the thought of wall-to-wall kiddies running wild. I try to educate them, but it's hard.

PopPhan
02-14-2011, 02:03 PM
What bugs me is when people call WALT Disney World, Disneyworld. :thedolls:

Disneyland is one word, WDW is three separate words. :D

Just for the record, I am being funny!!!! None of it bothers me one iota!! Just so I know what is what in my own mind!!

TinkerbellT421
02-14-2011, 02:38 PM
I know several people that don't understand Disney in a whole nevermind just the parks.

My best friend is not very "Disney" orientated, she doesnt understand it all. She spent a couple of days at Disney world 20 years ago and didn't like it then...she's been twice and says "She's been to Disney enough".

Her next door nieghbor who is a friend of hers...HATES Disney, disney channel, disney merchandise, disney anything. She has two little girls and REFUSES to allow them to have anything to do with Disney. She has this whole theory that Disney teaches little girls to be "Dimsel in distresses and gives them a false since of reality"...mind you one daughter is 4 the other is 6....I highly doubt a 4 and 6 year old get that sort of message out of the Disney Princess movies...but whatever. Well what really bugs me is now she has brought that mentality on my best friends daughter who just had a son. She feels the same way as the neighbor now, but has added that it teaches boys "To be knights in shining armor for damsels in distress, which is a false sense of reality" :confused::mad::bang:

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-14-2011, 02:39 PM
Nobody really knows how big it is until they go the first time....

giroux28
02-15-2011, 03:22 PM
I know several people that don't understand Disney in a whole nevermind just the parks.

My best friend is not very "Disney" orientated, she doesnt understand it all. She spent a couple of days at Disney world 20 years ago and didn't like it then...she's been twice and says "She's been to Disney enough".

Her next door nieghbor who is a friend of hers...HATES Disney, disney channel, disney merchandise, disney anything. She has two little girls and REFUSES to allow them to have anything to do with Disney. She has this whole theory that Disney teaches little girls to be "Dimsel in distresses and gives them a false since of reality"...mind you one daughter is 4 the other is 6....I highly doubt a 4 and 6 year old get that sort of message out of the Disney Princess movies...but whatever. Well what really bugs me is now she has brought that mentality on my best friends daughter who just had a son. She feels the same way as the neighbor now, but has added that it teaches boys "To be knights in shining armor for damsels in distress, which is a false sense of reality" :confused::mad::bang:

Kind of off topic, but it seems like that person has either seen or would love the documentary "Mickey Mouse Monopoly." It can easily be found in parts on youtube and is a good thing to watch if you want to have the strong urge to yell at or break your screen. It explains that disney movies bring together and teach children negative racial and gender stereotypes. For example, little girls want to stay in abusive relationships because of Belle, and the people responsible for the Lion King wanted to degrade 'minorities' by making the hyenas difference races. I wrote a 15 page paper in college disputing the entire documentary.

But anyway, it bothers me when people question my reasoning for going there. "Just go a little farther away and go to a beach resort!" No thanks, I can go to a beach resort at WDW plus a New Orleans style mansion, Mars, a resort with a monorail running thru it AND see Fozzie bear get hit with a pie. I'd like to see that happen in Cancun or the Bahamas.

wildernesslady
02-15-2011, 03:35 PM
Tell your boss to have a great time. Maybe she will take your advice next time.

Ian
02-15-2011, 04:10 PM
Yeah I agree totally ... I get that a lot at work. The guy who owns the company I work for hates Disney. He says it's nothing but a money grab, too expensive, not worth the money and all that (which is ironic because he makes like half-a-mil a year but that's another story ;)).

I get it all the time ... AGAIN???? I don't even waste breath trying to explain it. I just ignore them. You either get it or you don't.

Her next door nieghbor who is a friend of hers...HATES Disney, disney channel, disney merchandise, disney anything. She has two little girls and REFUSES to allow them to have anything to do with Disney. She has this whole theory that Disney teaches little girls to be "Dimsel in distresses and gives them a false since of reality"...mind you one daughter is 4 the other is 6....I highly doubt a 4 and 6 year old get that sort of message out of the Disney Princess movies...but whatever.I'd just like to say that I feel so bad for kids who have parents like this. It's so sad to think of kids that will never have an opportunity to enjoy just being a kid, because their misguided parents try to imprint their own prejudices and adult-level thinking on them.

The thought of any little girl growing up without the chance to dream of being a princess one day, playing dress up as their favorite, and being jaw-droppingly stunned upon seeing Cinderella's Castle is just horrible to me. I have three daughters of my own and I would never dream of depriving them of that uniquely six-year-old-girl experience.

Frankly, parents like this really make me mad. :mad:

Disney4us2
02-15-2011, 06:17 PM
My DD called the MK "Disneyworld" on our first trip. She was only 5 at the time. She has grown up at Disneyland and got the two confused. She also has auditory processing disorder and it took a long, long time for it to sink in that WDW is the whole big picture. Now at 11 she knows the difference.

Our first trip she kept looking for the white nountain (the Matterhorn). WDW and DL are kind of set up the same way... Tomorroland to the right etc. Same but different. I think that is what was confusing to her, She thought since the call the park where we alsway go, Disneyland. That the MK park is called Disneyworld.

We are going in August with first timers. They already know the difference and left the planning up to me.

TinkerbellT421
02-15-2011, 06:52 PM
Yeah I agree totally ... I get that a lot at work. The guy who owns the company I work for hates Disney. He says it's nothing but a money grab, too expensive, not worth the money and all that (which is ironic because he makes like half-a-mil a year but that's another story ;)).

I get it all the time ... AGAIN???? I don't even waste breath trying to explain it. I just ignore them. You either get it or you don't.

I'd just like to say that I feel so bad for kids who have parents like this. It's so sad to think of kids that will never have an opportunity to enjoy just being a kid, because their misguided parents try to imprint their own prejudices and adult-level thinking on them.

The thought of any little girl growing up without the chance to dream of being a princess one day, playing dress up as their favorite, and being jaw-droppingly stunned upon seeing Cinderella's Castle is just horrible to me. I have three daughters of my own and I would never dream of depriving them of that uniquely six-year-old-girl experience.

EXACTLY!!! I have tried on many occassions to explain that a) children at that young of an age dont see that type of image when it comes to princesses and princes and disney in whole. They see magic in their eyes. But its almost like talking politics or religion.....it gets that heated. I swear my head almost blew off my blood pressure was so high!!! I just eventually chose to feel bad for the kids and just enjoy my magic...but not without seriously feeling so bad, its almost like I just want to take them to Disney myself to see their eyes light up from the first initial magic! really its just horribly sad.

And dont even get me started on my manager who everytime I put a slip in for vacation and she says "Oh you guys going to disney again" with the elusive eye roll....I could just explode!! I chose to eventually just say "Yes and cant wait"....but like everyone else, you at first try to defend your decision but then realize your talking to a wall....oh well. there loss and the way I see it is...GOOD more room for the rest of us!!! :D

Hammer
02-16-2011, 12:16 AM
I'd just like to say that I feel so bad for kids who have parents like this. It's so sad to think of kids that will never have an opportunity to enjoy just being a kid, because their misguided parents try to imprint their own prejudices and adult-level thinking on them.

I'll start this by saying I do not have kids, but I know the way I was raised and that I've always had strong opinions of what I would stress for my child and would need to be with someone who was of a like mind.

Please don't paint all parents that choose to not expose their children to princesses as they are somehow "bad" parents. My father was not a real fan of WDW, but we went on a regular basis because Dad thought that you do things like that for kids and put up with it. He and my Mom stressed the classic characters and not princesses. My Mom could see that her girls were not princessy type girls and did not try and pound that idea into us. No one should force a kid to live up to some ideal they think that a girl or boy should be and try and change their personality.

I was asking about a character breakfast buffet in Dining (looking for an omelet station), saying my Mom prefers the classic 5. I can't tell you how many people suggested Akerhaus and cited the princesses as a reason. Not one of us could care if we ever saw a princess.

EXACTLY!!! I have tried on many occasions to explain that a) children at that young of an age dont see that type of image when it comes to princesses and princes and disney in whole. They see magic in their eyes. But its almost like talking politics or religion.....it gets that heated. I swear my head almost blew off my blood pressure was so high!!! I just eventually chose to feel bad for the kids and just enjoy my magic...but not without seriously feeling so bad, its almost like I just want to take them to Disney myself to see their eyes light up from the first initial magic! really its just horribly sad.

Not every kid is into the whole idea of magic. Case in point- the guy I share a test lab with just came back from Disney for the second time (they took each son when they were 5). They had a nice time, but his kids were asking at the end of the vacation if next time they were going back to the Caribbean (they usually go to all-inclusive resorts that have great family activities). These kids did like WDW, but they like going snorkeling with Dad and Mom and looking at the fish more. I don't think there isn't anything wrong with that.

As much as I like WDW, I don't think it is the only thing a child should ever see or experience.

TinkerbellT421
02-16-2011, 08:25 AM
I'll start this by saying I do not have kids, but I know the way I was raised and that I've always had strong opinions of what I would stress for my child and would need to be with someone who was of a like mind.

While I agree with you on certain aspects, i.e. princesses and the like are not always for everyone, thats fine. But this statement made my point exactly. These parents I was speaking of, THROW their beliefs on Disney AT me everytime one of my trips is mentioned. To the point where I almost feel like they are shoving THEIR beliefs and reasons down my throat, thats probably the part that makes me most upset about it. Because then I walk away feeling like Im wrong in believing what I want to believe in Disney.

While everyone has their own beliefs and ideals when it comes to raising their own children, obviously not everyone can agree that what the other is doing is right. I personally also do not have my own children. However, I personally believe that telling a child that Disney is an evil empire of sorts and not allowed to watch Disney movies, Disney shows, Disney channel, they are forced to believe Disney does not exist, and for their reasons, I just personally don't agree with. But like I said, talking about Disney with them is like trying to argue politics and religion. Just a topic you don't talk about with them. lol. So to each his own. :mickey:

More room for us :D

PrettyMinnie
02-16-2011, 06:04 PM
I was asking about a character breakfast buffet in Dining (looking for an omelet station), saying my Mom prefers the classic 5. I can't tell you how many people suggested Akerhaus and cited the princesses as a reason. Not one of us could care if we ever saw a princess.

I was just reading the thread asking about the character breakfast. I only saw one persons mention Akershaus and they didn't mention the princesses at all. Only character interaction.

Gregandmel
02-17-2011, 08:51 AM
I was one of those people who thought that Disney World was the Magic Kingdom. We had never been before (back in 1997) and went with some family members. I didn't know until a week before we got there that there were 3 parks to visit (Animal Kingdom hadn't been built yet). We were so unprepared for everything!! Once we went the first time and realized it was a WORLD and not a PARK - it became very clear!! Our last 2 trips (2008 & 2010) were 2 of the best trips of our lives. We totally "get it" now and I love bringing novices "up to speed" when they are discussing their first trip to Disney. I find myself with more patience than I normally would, only because we were "one of those people" once! LOL

Ian
02-17-2011, 10:31 AM
I'll start this by saying I do not have kids, but I know the way I was raised and that I've always had strong opinions of what I would stress for my child and would need to be with someone who was of a like mind.This is exactly my point. These parents are foisting their own biases and hang-ups off on their kids instead of letting the kids just be kids.

Trust me ... your daughter isn't going to grow up weak and helpless just because she liked Ariel when she was 6. The entire notion is just as absurd as the notion that letting a boy play with dolls at age 6 will make him grow up to be gay. And that's a notion I'm 100% certain you agree with.

Now look if you're girl is a tomboy and wants nothing to do with princesses that's a whole different thing. By all means, then take her to the ballgame or let her play guns in the backyard. I couldn't care less.

But I'm talking about parents who intentionally deprive their child of something the child wants to experience simply because of their own narrow-minded thought processes.

princessgirls
02-17-2011, 02:02 PM

PREACH ON BROTHER!!!!! :thumbsup:

It's makes me CRAZY the criticism I take and get from others for going to Disney. The comments are unreal... My favorite is "Really, your going there again, what could you possibly find so fun there."
My husband Fred takes even more abuse about it, he doesn't even tell people anymore.

My in-laws own a time-share (Sheraton Vistana) and WE took the nephews there for a day this summer, and the niece didn't want to go because her mother told her it would be boring for her. :mad: she was 9!!!! The nephews had themselves a great day:mickey: They had never been...
The parents are Disney haters, and you know what, I'm NEVER going anywhere with them AGAIN!!
That's a whole other topic...

What is better for a little girl to enjoy a meal with Cinderella and her friends in the castle??? My girls were in awe when they were younger, and still enjoy it. Or for a little boy learning light sabor moves by Darth Vader himself.

People go to the beach year after year, or do a cruise year after year, I don't get all in their face and offer opinions.

A popular night-time radio DJ for one of our area Rock stations was ranting for 2 weeks about his Disney trip, how expensive, how tiring, on and on and on. Fred works nights and called in and said, ENOUGH!!!
Sorry you didn't have fun, but ENOUGH!!

You know what, for a busy working Mom juggling a lot of balls in the air, a Disney vacation is a BREAK for me... we eat every meal out, which at the beach we don't, we have maid service, at the beach I am the maid, and I don't have to hear the dreaded...Mom, we're BORED!!!!

Thankful for Intercot, and the fine people here who all share a love for Disney!!
Just my little rant for today!
Julie:mickey:

EeyoresBestFriend
02-17-2011, 07:05 PM

And these people probably think that things like Toddlers and Tiaras is okay . . . .:silly:

I'm sure that they would rather have their daughters look up to anorexic models and mentors like Britney Spears . . . egads . . .

Sad isn't it??

Princess and princes anytime for me and mine. :thumbsup:

princessgirls
02-24-2011, 10:59 AM
My OWN Brother was getting on me about Disney. He can't understand the hype. He has a very Princess minded adorable 3-year old at home.

He wants us to take her in August. I'm like oh, no...you need to make those memories with her!!

Got the eye roll.

He has done a few conferences at the Contemporary for work, and the whole place seemed like a nightmare to him. Whatever.
I did tell him, that we would be glad to go and share the magic when they were ready...and also, How could you deny your little princess a chance to have breakfast in the castle and meet the princesses. :thumbsup: I laid on the guilty pretty good...

Julie:mickey: