PDA

View Full Version : Arrival Night dinner?

KeriWDE
02-10-2011, 08:59 PM
After kicking around the idea of HDD (time limitations) or California Grill (no openings), we have decided to wing it for dinner the night we arrive. (Sorry for the mixed metaphors, I considered several other ones, but these were the least offending. ;) )

We are on the Deluxe Dining Plan and are flying in on Friday, 2-25. We are comprised of Hubby, Daughter (10), Son (4) and myself. (Also, sorry for not using so many of the common abbreviations. I've grown to hate seeing "DH" and the others for some reason. Surely, I'm not alone with this.)

The Son is a picky eater, but the rest of us are lovers of good food of many types. So, we are considering a few things...

Checking availability when we check-in for
1 - California Grill
2 - O'hana
3 - Kouzzina (my favorite so far)
4 - Boma

OR we might just eat in the food court at Pop! or grab something at Downtown Disney - probably Wolf Gang Puck Express or Earl of Sandwich and get in bed early for an early breakfast at Crystal Palace.

Any opinions, suggestions, recommendations, or ideas?

Thank you very much!

TinkerbellT421
02-10-2011, 09:30 PM
After kicking around the idea of HDD (time limitations) or California Grill (no openings), we have decided to wing it for dinner the night we arrive. (Sorry for the mixed metaphors, I considered several other ones, but these were the least offending. ;) )

We are on the Deluxe Dining Plan and are flying in on Friday, 2-25. We are comprised of Hubby, Daughter (10), Son (4) and myself. (Also, sorry for not using so many of the common abbreviations. I've grown to hate seeing "DH" and the others for some reason. Surely, I'm not alone with this.)

The Son is a picky eater, but the rest of us are lovers of good food of many types. So, we are considering a few things...

Checking availability when we check-in for
1 - California Grill
2 - O'hana
3 - Kouzzina (my favorite so far)
4 - Boma

OR we might just eat in the food court at Pop! or grab something at Downtown Disney - probably Wolf Gang Puck Express or Earl of Sandwich and get in bed early for an early breakfast at Crystal Palace.

Any opinions, suggestions, recommendations, or ideas?

Thank you very much!

Sounds like you have some pretty good ideas there. Well I enjoy eating at the Big River Grille. And if its for dinner you can always enjoy walking along the Boardwalk poking in some shops, watching the side shows and magic shows or playing the Boardwalk games :)

Tigerinvestigator
02-10-2011, 10:41 PM
Any of those would be great for the first meal! Maybe add Whispering Canyon to the list its alot of fun and could get the trip started on the right foot!:thumbsup:

Itchy
02-10-2011, 10:41 PM
If you haven't tried Raglan Road at Downtown Disney you may want to give a try. It has turned out to be a must for our first night dinner. The food, service and atmosphere are great.

We will be there again on May 1st. Can't wait.

Hope this helps.:mickey:

queenmom9497
02-11-2011, 07:23 AM
One of our traditions is to head to Downtown Disney upon arrival. We typically go to Planet Hollywood for a meal, walk around shopping, and end up at Ghirardelli for desert. We have been know to actually substitute Ghirardelli for a meal too. :secret:

Another fine substitute for the meal would be Earl of Sandwich! A discovery on our last trip ... ended up there twice. :thumbsup:

CanadianWDWFan
02-11-2011, 07:47 AM
A place we never have trouble just walking up to is Kona Cafe. For us it is one of the hidden gems at Disney. It is a good substitute for 'Ohana since it is right beside it at the Poly.

Donald's Girl
02-11-2011, 08:46 AM
Our vote goes to Cape May Buffet! Love the food, think there are really good choices for adults and kids. Then stroll around the entire area, ending up on the bridge in Epcot to watch Illuminations!

Faver
02-11-2011, 10:21 AM
We like to either go to DTD, Wolfgang Puck Express to eat or our home resort, and then relax and look around, at the home resort. :cloud9:

Sounds like you'll be @ POP:number1: We love Pop. I say enjoy the foodcourt, look around the resort, relax, have a little fun there.

Enjoy:mickey:

magicman
02-11-2011, 10:41 AM
If it were me, I would try out Kouzzina.

Since Kouzzina is on the Boardwalk, you could try to time it out so that you could see Illuminations after eating. (It is always so nice to see fireworks on arrival night.)

Disney4us2
02-11-2011, 11:05 AM
A place we never have trouble just walking up to is Kona Cafe. For us it is one of the hidden gems at Disney. It is a good substitute for 'Ohana since it is right beside it at the Poly.

Your right, it is a hidden gem. That is where we had our first night meal. I loved it. I was able to get late ADR for it. This is now on our must do list.

KeriWDE
02-11-2011, 11:26 AM
Well. You're no help at all. ;)

[snicker] [was kidding]

I am thinking Kouzzina, but I'm hesitant to get an ADR, due to the possibility of delays flights, etc. The idea of showing the Son some fireworks the night we arrive is tempting.

Also, where is Big River Grill? Is it on the Dining Plan?

Thanks!

Cinderelley
02-14-2011, 07:06 AM
My first question is - with a four year old who may be tired and cranky from a day of travel, do you really want to schedule an ADR?

If the answer is still yes, the Boardwalk is nice. There is also the dinosaur restaurant in Downtown Disney.

Fireworks can be seen from the 50s section of Pop Century. One of my favorite areas in Pop. :thumbsup:

brivers222
02-14-2011, 09:31 AM
We are planning on Ohana for our arrival dinner in December....

TinkerbellT421
02-14-2011, 10:13 AM
Also, where is Big River Grill? Is it on the Dining Plan?

Thanks!

Its located right on the Boardwalk. :) Im sure you wouldn't be disappointed. And Just being on the Boardwalk I love in itself. Right after a dinner, around 7 or 8 the magicians and side shows start.