PDA

View Full Version : driving down

kgoulash
02-10-2011, 10:29 AM
can anyone help with advice, help, or past experience...
we are cautiously planning a trip for sept 2012 and thinking about maybe driving. we are coming from boston. we've made the drive many times in my childhood so i know what i'm in for there.
i'm looking for info on car rentals people have liked/disliked and why.
i'm looking for the cheaper option whether that is flying or driving. we are a family of 4 adults and 2 kids so we'll need a big car/van.
i'm just wondering how the rates compare with miles we will be driving. i checked a couple of sites but i'm not getting much info.
thank you!
i love all the advice i get on these boards! :stitch:

azcavalier
02-10-2011, 11:19 AM
can anyone help with advice, help, or past experience...
we are cautiously planning a trip for sept 2012 and thinking about maybe driving. we are coming from boston. we've made the drive many times in my childhood so i know what i'm in for there.
i'm looking for info on car rentals people have liked/disliked and why.
i'm looking for the cheaper option whether that is flying or driving. we are a family of 4 adults and 2 kids so we'll need a big car/van.
i'm just wondering how the rates compare with miles we will be driving. i checked a couple of sites but i'm not getting much info.
thank you!
i love all the advice i get on these boards! :stitch:

OK, so we haven't rented a car for the drive, but we have both flown and driven to WDW from Virginia. We now prefer driving. We can actually get cheap non-stop tickets from Roanoke, VA to Sanford (just north of Orlando), and then we usually rent a car there for the week. There are five of us, and so that usually costs us a total of $500 for both airfare and the rental car.

We own a Ford Expedition. While it is a gas hog, there's no way it costs us $500 in gas to go to and from Florida (12 hour drive each way), plus driving around while we're there. We have become converted to driving, mainly because it's so much more convenient to have a car at WDW. You can get groceries if you want, you can hit the outlet malls, and it's much faster going to, and especially leaving, the parks. No more waiting for Disney buses to take you back to the resort. No more stopping at two other resorts to drop off and pick people up. And if you stay on Disney property, the parking at the parks is free.

Strmchsr
02-10-2011, 11:31 AM
Cheaper to drive or fly? Well, you have to consider convience in there and the idea of a 20 hour drive vs. a 3-4 hour flight. But, in terms of strict dollars, count on about $400-500 for the rental of the van for the week. Then, most larger vehicles get about 20 miles to the gallon, so for a 1300 mile trip, that 65 gallons each way. Give an average of $3/gallon on gas, and fuel will cost you $400-500 (round trip) depending on how much you drive around while you're actually at WDW. So, basically, for the car rental and gas you're looking at $800-1000 depending on the rates you get. Some rental car companies are actually going up a bit on unlimited milage vehicles, so you could be looking at more like $600 for the vehicle.

Right now, cheapest airfare from Boston to Orlando would run around $1600 for 6 people. So, that's a pretty decent monetary savings for driving. The question is that long, hard drive worth the savings and being already exhausted when you arrive?

faline
02-10-2011, 11:46 AM
Cheaper to drive or fly? Well, you have to consider convience in there and the idea of a 20 hour drive vs. a 3-4 hour flight.

From Boston, I'd count on the drive being more in the 24-27 hour range. In addition to your vehicle costs, you will have other costs to consider. Driving straight through is exhausting and I would not recommend overnighting in a rest area. Therefore, I'd add in one night in a hotel along the way. Additionally, you will either need to pack food and eat that or you'll also need to factor in the cost of 3-5 meals (breakfast; lunch; dinner; breakfast; lunch) while on the road. Also, you will likely hit quite a few tolls so be sure you account for that as well.

PopPhan
02-10-2011, 11:51 AM
What Strmchsr doesn't add is that, driving, you might want to spend a night somewhere on the way down (and back up for that matter) and you will need food stops along the way.

So, two days each way, food, lodging, road stress vs. a 3 hour (+/- 30 min.) flight, arriving fresh and ready to go......

Give me more time in the parks and less stress getting there over a couple hundred dollars in savings....To me it's well worth it to fly!

(faline beat me to this info!!)

faline
02-10-2011, 11:56 AM
Therefore, I'd add in one night in a hotel along the way. Additionally, you will either need to pack food and eat that or you'll also need to factor in the cost of 3-5 meals (breakfast; lunch; dinner; breakfast; lunch) while on the road. Also, you will likely hit quite a few tolls so be sure you account for that as well.

This only accounts for the trip one-way - you have to double it to account for getting back home again!

kgoulash
02-10-2011, 03:53 PM
we've driven several times and it is closer to 27 hours, we also always drive straight through. we have 3 drivers so it's not so bad, however we have children with us.
we would be renting a car once we got there anyway so that adds to flying too i guess.
we also have some nervous flyers and when we fly we wind up having to rent a car service to drive us to and from the airport, i guess i realize driving is cheaper after all
it's been a while since we drove and we have some time to make up our minds so i appreciate all advice/opinions
thanks
:mickey:

TinkerbellT421
02-10-2011, 03:58 PM
when we fly we wind up having to rent a car service to drive us to and from the airport
:mickey:

I saw your signature says you would be staying on-site? If thats correct than with Disneys Magical Express (which is free) drives you to and from the airport, just an FYI :mickey:

PETE FROM NYC
02-10-2011, 06:08 PM
After over a dozen trips flying, our last 2 trips I drove, just me being the only driver.
I also have an expedition, equipped with a lift for DWs ECV. Both of us are disabled and simply can't do all the airport walking, plus we don't have to jump thru all the hoops for TSA. We are retired so have no time constraints. We do each way in 2 1/2 days, overnighting in Best Westerns along the way. We are looking forward to our next visit in 9/12.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
02-12-2011, 10:21 PM
We drove straight through last Aug and never again! We had 3 drivers with 2 of us doing most of the driving. Going down wasn't as bad but after 8 days in the parks coming home was horrible. It took us 24 hours total coming from right outside of Boston.
This year we are flying and renting a car. We are going out of Worcester to Sanford on Direct Air. We got vouchers for $159 round trip, non-stop, per person. So even if you are closer to Boston, you might want to look into that option.
And the parking at the Worcester airport is only around $42.00 for the week. And that's right outside of the terminal.
We are staying in our time share off property (for the first time since getting it) so we have to rent a car. And I'm sooooo glad we are flying instead.