PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Rodgers at the MK - dilemma?

BigRedDad
02-10-2011, 07:22 AM
My SIL and her family happened to be at WDW after the super Bowl. Aaron Rodgers was there for the parade and all the other stuff. They happened to see Aaron Rodgers sitting in a very secluded area with no one apparently around. They went up and asked for his autograph. According to them, he responded "he has to respectfully decline." They asked him again and he repeated it.

Well, when I was asked, my reaction wasn't the same as theirs. I was not surprised and upset about it. First, none of us know what contract he is under with WDW while there. Second, the guy had been up for over 40 hours at that point. Third, WDW probably has autograph sessions planned with him already. Forth, I have met many athletes randomly and the last thing they want to do while relaxing is sign autographs.

To me, there is a time and place for everything. Autographs are given when they arrive to a game, after a game, and at events geared for that.

What do you all think?

WIMickeymommy
02-10-2011, 07:44 AM
I have to agree with you. We live about an hour from Green Bay and Aaron ALWAYS stops to sign autographs unless for some unforseen reason he is unable to. He is a GREAT guy with a big heart.

I know he enjoyed every minute at WDW that day, but he also knew his team was returning to Green Bay at that same time to a HUGE fan welcoming. They lined the 5 mile drive from the airport to Lambeau field that day. I am sure he really wanted to be with his teammates too.

I am sure if he could've he would have signed an autograph. I agree, he was probally under contract not to sign autographs until they had the mass signing later in the day.

SBETigg
02-10-2011, 09:13 AM
Wait, did he respond in the third person, referring to himself as "he?" He gets a pass for not signing, but he would not get a pass for that, if that's what happened. ;) That's just cheesy. Or did someone with him say that he respectfully declined? Confused.

Altair
02-10-2011, 09:23 AM
That's just cheesy.

Is that pun intended? :secret:

SBETigg
02-10-2011, 09:27 AM
Is that pun intended? :secret:

Oh, haha! No, it wasn't. But I guess I should have expected it, then. :blush:

Missy_Mouses_Dad
02-10-2011, 11:01 AM
In my totally 100% biased opinion....Aaron Rodgers would never brush aside an autograph seeker. As other posters have said, he was probably under a contract of some sort to only sign during a mass session. He is a class act and to date has always said/done the right thing in the right manner. so far he is the polar opposite of #4...but that is another story.

DizneyRox
02-10-2011, 12:59 PM
Who's Aaron Rodgers?

I would never think of asking people for their autograph. Maybe because I'm not really interested, but I know that I wouldn't want to be bothered, so why bother someone else.

PopPhan
02-10-2011, 01:45 PM
I would never think of asking people for their autograph. Maybe because I'm not really interested, but I know that I wouldn't want to be bothered, so why bother someone else.

Have to agree with this thought 100%!!

I was in Ocean City, MD a few days after Mike Schmidt (the HOF third baseman from the Phillies) announced his retirement and on three consecutive days watched as he jogged up and down the boardwalk. Being a big Phillies Phan, I knew immediately who he was and told the friends I was with...They asked me why I did not stop him and ask for his autograph...My reply was that he was on vacation and, like everyone else, would probably not want to be bothered like that. Let him have his little bit of privacy and anonymity while he can....They were cool with it and we just enjoyed seeing a 'relative' celebrity enjoying his time off.

Also, on our last trip to WDW, this past September, in MCO on our way to catch our flight home, we were in security with Phil Simms (NFL announcer and one time NY Giants quarterback) and passed by him two or three times on the concourse...Again, I felt no need to accost him with requests for autographs (although others did!) It was enough just to know who he was and respect his privacy.

But that's just the way I am.....:D

BigRedDad
02-10-2011, 01:49 PM
Wait, did he respond in the third person, referring to himself as "he?" He gets a pass for not signing, but he would not get a pass for that, if that's what happened. ;) That's just cheesy. Or did someone with him say that he respectfully declined? Confused.

Bad typo for the quote. From what I was told, Aaron Rodgers said "I must respectfully decline."

The reason I asked is when I made the comment, I looked like the pink elephant in the room. They all looked at me like I was crazy. WDW pays $Ms for the SB MVP to be there and they are only there for a short period so they can get back home for the celebrations.

brownie
02-10-2011, 02:01 PM
Maybe it wasn't really Aaron Rogers. Hard to believe he'd be sitting in an area all by himself at Walt Disney World.

BrerGnat
02-10-2011, 02:21 PM
It probably wasn't him. I agree. Why would he be alone on a day like that?

SBETigg
02-10-2011, 03:32 PM
Bad typo for the quote. From what I was told, Aaron Rodgers said "I must respectfully decline."

The reason I asked is when I made the comment, I looked like the pink elephant in the room. They all looked at me like I was crazy. WDW pays $Ms for the SB MVP to be there and they are only there for a short period so they can get back home for the celebrations.

Thanks, then he's off the hook. :thumbsup:

I agree, though, that he's entitled to some downtime. And he was obviously pretty nice about it. Regardless of his contractual obligations, there's a point at which you just can't sign your name even one more time.