PDA

View Full Version : Combining Disney with Universal....

Gregandmel
02-09-2011, 01:57 PM
It's only been 9 months since we last visited the World, and I've been missing it for 8 months and 3 weeks! My family (DH, Boys ages 11 & 20) are excited to try Universal. My husband wants to JUST do Universal for 3 or 4 days to make it more affordable, but I just don't think I can be THAT CLOSE to Disney World without trying to combine the 2. My husband wants to stay on property at Universal. Funds are tight and if we do a combo with both parks, it will add about another $2000 to the trip. I just can't get excited about planning a trip JUST to Universal!! I keep trying to get on their website, but within 10 minutes, I'm back at Disney World! LOL. Who has done both? Who strayed from Disney and went to Universal. Was it worth it? Any insight it great. Thanks!!

KathyMO
02-09-2011, 02:17 PM
We really enjoy going to Universal but two days in the most it takes us to do everything. The Harry Potter area is really nice. Make sure you try the Butterbeer. I would book one night at a Universal hotel that way you have two days of express pass use and get in 1 hour before the park opens.

Spend the rest of the time at Disney World.:mickey:

Faver
02-09-2011, 03:52 PM
We've done both WDW & Universal...we spent 2 days at Universal, I think that's all you really need. We started our vacation @ WDW:thumbsup:, then ended it @ Universal... BIG MISTAKE!!!!!! Always end at Disney!!! you'll be glad you did!!:mickey:

Happy Travels

iloveokw
02-09-2011, 05:05 PM
Depending upon what time you arrive I would book one or at the most two nights at the beginning of your vacation at the Royal Pacific Resort. We also did Blue Man Group, which my daughter loved and then do Disney OR buy the Universal Flex pass and do Universal, Seaworld, Aquatica (depending on weather)...you can even add on Busch Gardens if they are big roller coaster lovers.

EeyoresBestFriend
02-09-2011, 05:06 PM
We always do both although we find it cheaper to stay on property at WDW rather than US. Just rent a car for a day or two from WDW grounds. I couldn't be that close and pass up the fun at Universal!

I found Universal property 'deals' not to be much in the lines of good pricing, WDW was still better for us to stay at.

It's all good! :cloud9:

faline
02-09-2011, 05:31 PM
We've done a couple of combo trips but it's been a while since we last did that. On a couple of occasions, we've planned 2-3 nights at Universal before moving over to Disney. Someone mentioned the Royal Pacific which is where we stayed and found it to be a lovely and enjoyable property. We also liked that we could walk from the resort to the parks and City Park and also enjoyed the front of the line access afforded to those who stay on site.

Mogie
02-09-2011, 07:15 PM
holy shnikeys 3 or 4 days?!! 2 Max one day for each park. If you go at the right time during the year with low crows and are ambitious I would recommend trying to do both parks in 1 day, spending most of it at Wizarding World, then hit the rides you really want to go on in Islands of Adventure and Universal and then cram as much Disney as you can get in it.

Had a friend that recently went to Orlando and spent 2 days at Universal, 1 at Disney and 1 at Sea World...I just dont get it..

johnO
02-10-2011, 04:37 AM
I agree, Universal has a filthy carnival atmosphere. I really just dont like it in comparison to WDW. In 2007 we did one day at US. We split the day between the parks and that was all we needed. We started at IA and finished at the Studios. I hadnt been to the Studios since the mid 90s and boy did it seem run down.

Gregandmel
02-10-2011, 08:26 AM
Thanks for all the great advice!! This gives me a better idea of how to do BOTH & still stay within our budget!!! I just can't get "into" the whole planning thing with US. I know we will all enjoy it, but my heart is with Disney! :thumbsup:

princessgirls
02-10-2011, 10:20 AM
My husband is wanting to do a Universal trip. HE thought it would be as easily as pricing a Disney trip...WRONG!!!

So....this is what we are doing. 9 nights on Disney property with the meal plan and 9 day park hoppers, and we are renting a car for two days and doing 2 days over at Universal. That was the cheapest way! We will just pay for our Universal passes, and lunch. Amen!

Julie:mickey:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
02-12-2011, 10:25 PM
Last Aug we did 2 days at the Universal parks and the rest at Disney. But we stayed on Disney property the whole time. I like the Universal Studios but don't feel the need to go each time.

goofygirl67
02-13-2011, 06:52 PM
I have only been to UA 1 time. Last Sept I caved in and went for a day. I went just because I wanted to see HP. I spent most of my time in the HP area, the rest didn't intrest me too much. I have been looking into staying for a night or 2 but it seems way more expensive than Disney. In fact I found alot of things at UA and Seaworld more expensive than Disney. After my pass is up I most likely won't renew it.