PDA

View Full Version : Room View???

KAT1811
02-09-2011, 12:40 PM
Our room view has never been an issue for us, we are happy looking out at whatever for the short time that we actually are in our room. We enjoy a special view but do not require it, nor would I pay a high premium for it. We had a beautiful 2BR unit last year at OKW overlooking an inlet and a hole on the golf course and a couple trips ago we had no view at all at ASMo. Just a little curious on how much time those of you who do pay for a premium view actually spend enjoying it? Do you upgrade to a special view on vacations where you'll be spending more time in your room? Do you get the same view every trip? Do you spend less time in the park and more time in the room?

SBETigg
02-09-2011, 12:59 PM
I don't pay for view every trip, just some of the trips. What's wonderful is having that view right there for you during the entire stay. When I wake up, before I go to bed, in the afternoons if we come back to the room for a break (which we usually do). When we pay more for the view, it's the MK/Lagoon view. I enjoy watching the watercrafts and looking over to see what's happening at the MK (usually from the GF). You can see crowds come and go. Hear the shows. The train whistle. It adds to the joy.

Instead of just having that magic while in the park, there's a magic constant in your trip. It really does make a difference that is sometimes worth paying for. If you don't spend time in your resort, maybe not as big a deal for you. But for us, we enjoy our resort time as much as our park time, and maybe that's because our resort time has the magic, too.

Disney4us2
02-09-2011, 01:09 PM
I have never paid for a view. In April we are booked at POFQ with a standard view.

However for our August trip we are using our DVC points to stay at AKL Kidani Village with a savannah view. I may just do this once or twice and then take a standard or value to save points. This is one view I am really excited about. DD and I are both animal lovers and to see animals outside our room will just be incredible.:cloud9:

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-09-2011, 01:34 PM
We've never paid for a view....can't afford to

cajunprincess
02-09-2011, 01:39 PM
We almost always pay for a view. I love to wake up to it, go to bed to it, and when we take park breaks to have it as well. We do spend a fair ammount of time in our rooms. I like to take time out to relax and enjoy the things that our resort has to offer as well! For us, it is totally worth it.

kakn7294
02-09-2011, 01:44 PM
For me, it would depend on where I'm staying and what I can afford. At AKL or the monorail resorts, I'd definately want a savannah or MK view. Since I've yet to stay at any of these places, I've yet to pay for the view! All the rest, it really doesn't matter - what I get is what I get.

RBrooksC
02-09-2011, 02:26 PM
If I were staying in a resort without a balcony, I wouldn't care about the view. I really don't look out a window and if I have no place to sit outside and look at a view, I don't care.

If I have a balcony, it is a different story. I enjoy sitting out there with a morning coffee or late at night before going to bed. The last thing I want is to sit and look at a parking lot or some less than desirable view.

This year we are staying in the Contemporary Resort. We paid extra for a MK view room. When we stayed in the WL the last time, we paid for the Courtyard View room.

NH Disneyfan
02-09-2011, 09:05 PM
We usually get the least exciting view. However, on our honeymoon we had water view at Yacht Club and we could sit and watch people in the courtyard, watch the boats, it was nice.

Then we had a standard view at Wilderness Lodge and we looked over the loading dock and smoke house. That was terrible. Beeping trucks at night, horrible smells, my wife was pregnant so the balcony was not a place she could go.

Another time we had loading dock "view" at All Star Movies and that was very noisy all night and just terrible. We really looked at grass and trees with the loading dock behind the trees.

A couple trips ago we got VIP upgraded in a Ft Wilderness cabin down near the boat dock. That was a free upgrade and incredible location!

Otherwise, we're usually inside somewhere looking at trees, although at Saratoga Springs last year we had the closest 2BR to the Springs pool and bus stop and that was phenomenal but for no extra charge.

Mogie
02-10-2011, 02:44 PM
Who needs a view!? I wake up and drag my GF out of bed and push her into the shower and crack the whip so she doesnt take 2 hours getting ready so we can hurry up gobble down breakfast and get to the park. Who has time to look out the window?!
Were only in the room to change for dinner or to collapse in a big victorious heap in bed and pass out after a long day of nothing but fun. It's dark by then and you cant see anything anywasy. Who needs a view!?

Beauty1015
02-13-2011, 09:52 PM
It depends what resort we are staying at... some rooms with the more expensive view are so noisey that it's not worth it... We don't spend a lot of time in the room, but for us, the time spent anywhere should be special. When we wake up, come back to the room in the afternoon and when we come back late at night, it is all spent time looking around at our surroundings, not the tv.
However,... I would never pay more than I could afford, just for the view. Some resorts have better views than others... and from what I've noticed with Value, Moderate and Deluxe is that a great view is built into that resort... The higher rate resort, the better views all around.
It's what matters to you in the long run! :mickey:

Mousemates
02-14-2011, 08:51 AM
the only views we have ever paid for were at the AKL and YC...the savannah view at AKL was definitely worth it and while enjoyable our waterview room (or whatever the exact designation was) at the YC probably wasn't. (it was nice but not worth the price).

We have had free view upgrades on several occasions and those were all defintiely worth the price.

Septbride2002
02-22-2011, 01:52 PM
We are DVC so it is all about how much in points I have to spare. LOL! That being said I like spending the points at the BWV for a BW view. I like watching the boats come and go and people watch. I also love to open the door in our room (when it isn't to hot) and let the sounds of the Boardwalk waft through the room. So relaxing for me.

Places I haven't bothered with a view:
Saratoga Springs
Port Orleans French Quarter
Animal Kingdom Lodge - I know, shocker, but I couldn't afford the view (pre-DVC) but the standard view was nice and there are 2 public viewing balconies that no one used the entire trip.

PETE FROM NYC
02-22-2011, 04:42 PM
In past years we always stayed on the cheap at the values. Never worried about a view because we are almost never in the room other than for sleeping.
Last trip, we did our first DVC vacation at BLT. We wanted a standard view, but none were available, so we had to upgrade to a lake view.We had a room on the ninth floor above the tennis court, and had a partial MK view. Now for our next trip, DW wants to try for a MK view so we can watch the fireworks from our balcony. Me personally, I don't need a view, I just want comfortable sleeping quarters.

TracyL
02-22-2011, 06:49 PM
Most of the time when I'm in my room, the only thing I'm looking at is the insides of my eyelids. But if I'm staying at a resort where something spectacular can be seen from some of the rooms, like Cinderella Castle or the AKL savanna, I'll seriously consider paying the up-charge for the view. I wouldn't bother at a Value or Moderate, where the nicer views are prettier but not spectacular.

When we stayed at the Contemporary for my 40th birthday trip, I paid for a tower room. I'd been dreaming of that all my life; ending up in a garden wing would have been a total anticlimax!