PDA

View Full Version : OKW or SSR for Kids?

Victoria89
02-07-2011, 08:22 PM
Hi,
I'm kind of new here and sooo glad I found this board!! There is tons of great information here. We're going to Disney for the first time since I was a teen. It's been 25 years! We have booked a 2 bedroom villa at OKW. However, I think I love the look of SSR! So, I guess the deciding factor will be-is either resort more kid friendly? Specifically, I have a little girl who will be 4 years old when we go. I'm sure she will have a blast either way but just thought I'd get some opinions from the experts here. Thanks!

sainter
02-08-2011, 12:03 AM
I haven't stayed at either of these resorts, so can't really give you an opinion about which resort, but just thought I would say
:welcome: to Intercot!!
But be very careful, it can be addicting! :mickey:

princessjojo
02-08-2011, 10:11 AM
We've stayed at both, but not a 2br at both. OKW has slightly larger rooms, but we had a studio there. It was fine, but our room was very "dated" at the time. They are however refurbing the rooms. Where they are in that process, I don't really know. Someone else may be able to advise you on that. My biggest problem with OKW was bugs. We left the light on by the door when we left one evening and when we returned, the door was COVERED with bugs. I've never seen that many on a door before. They have a great pool area and the kids enjoyed it, but we found it difficult to find a chair in a position allowing us to watch the boys well.

SSR we have stayed in the studios and 2br. Many don't like it there because it is such a large resort, but we have no problems with the resort itself. There has always been plenty of space for me, DH, and 2 teenage boys. They have a nice pool area that is actually a zero entry pool which is nice. And depending on when you're going, SSR is constructing a new feature pool so that will give them 2 nice pools and a quite pool.

Wherever you stay, enjoy.

SJSJ4
02-08-2011, 06:46 PM
OKW!! It has a lot of day programs at the resort for kids and people of all ages. The pool has a sand tower and a swirling slide inside that you empty into the large pool. There is also a kiddie pool and play area. There is shuffleboard, ping pong, nighttime campfires (with smores) along with indoor activities at the community center throughout the day. There is a new fitness room. But the OKW staff is the best. They are very "disney". Very upbeat and nice and helpful. If you decide OKW, you should definitely request to be near the hospitality center when making your reservations. Good Luck and have a wonderful trip

MN_Dad
02-09-2011, 11:56 AM
We have stayed at OKW in a 2 bdrm a couple times. We love the layout of the rooms. They are bigger and more comfortable than the 2 bdrm at the other villa's we have stayed in (BC & BW). I believe all the villa's after OKW have the samy layout. As mentioned previously, the staff is great and there are a lot of activities. My then 3 1/2 yr old loved the dance party at night! No matter where you stay enjoy all Disney has to offer.

ThanxForNoticin
02-09-2011, 12:21 PM
Another vote for OKW. My kids just love the main Conch Flats area, where they can swim, play in the sand, spend time at the playground, plus basketball, tennis, shuffle board, ping pong, and the activities at Community Hall. SSR is very nice, but my kids would vote OKW.

KAT1811
02-09-2011, 12:24 PM
We LOVE Old Key West! We stayed in a 2BR on our last trip and loved it. The rooms were very large with a separate laundry room, not just a laundry closet. the kids has tons of room to spread out. We have four children and it was wonderful. The resort was just amazing PP listed some of the best amenities. The only things I can think of that weren't mentioned was the fabulous boat ride to DTD (although SSR has it too) and the bus service was hands down the best service I have ever had in my entire life at WDW. I've got to be somewhere near the 30+ trip mark and thought this bus service was the best.

P.S. - We never had any trouble with bugs that might have been a fluke.

P.P.S. - :welcome: to Intercot!!! I think you are going to like it here!!!